PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to try Pairs at a Public Skate?

FSWer
11-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Say,I know people have tried Ice-Dancing at a Public Skate? But is it possible to find a gifted enough Skater at a Public Skate to show you what it feels like to do Pairs?

Vash01
11-25-2010, 11:09 PM
I have seen pairs practising at public sessions, though they are not doing very high level elements (lifts in particular, which is understandable because of the danger involved). It was not clear to me from your question if you have a partner to skate pairs with. If you don't you may want to check with the coaches or the rink management to see if there may be a partner for you and try him/her out.

Skittl1321
11-25-2010, 11:48 PM
I definetly think a skater would have to check their rink rules.

I have seen pairs practice on uncrowded public skates doing throws, sbs spins and jumps, footwork sequences and even death spirals, but I've never seen a lift- too dangerous.

But these were always established pairs- I think it's highly unlikely you'd find a skater at a public skate who would be able to teach you pairs elements, except dance-like elements, like stroking or crossovers while holdings hands.

gkelly
11-26-2010, 04:56 AM
But these were always established pairs- I think it's highly unlikely you'd find a skater at a public skate who would be able to teach you pairs elements, except dance-like elements, like stroking or crossovers while holdings hands.

Yeah.

Once I was skating on a public session and a guy invited me to try pair spirals with him.

But unless you're an accomplished freestyle skater taking pair lessons, you wouldn't be doing any difficult pair moves at all, much less on a public session.

leafygreens
11-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Just try it on a freestyle so you don't get yelled at. Once I got yelled at, during a public session, for lifting my feet off the ice. I was told "No open-blade skating" and "no backward skating". Only swizzles were allowed. Ridiculous. It's worth it just to pay a few extra bucks and skate freestyle.