PDA

View Full Version : looking for Mr. Jim Tester (coach)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ice Ramps
11-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Hello skaters,

My name is Dale Campbell and I'm looking to reconnect with my first skating coach, Jim Tester. As my parents were divorced Jim taught me more than just skating he taught me about life and being a good person, basically he was a role model for me. I have been looking for him for some years now and came close a few times like finding the rink he coached at a year after he left. I believe Jim is retired from coaching now as he is no longer listed as a coach on USFSA's site. I knew Jim from Birmingham, AL and he trained me from about 1974-1982 before he moved to NY. I believe he has moved around a good bit over the years so that does not help me any.

edit: He may have also been known as James Tester but he went by Jim as I recall.

Thanks in advance,
Dale

Screenie
11-26-2010, 12:16 AM
I did a google, and found a cached page here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:vQ5SenELjOoJ:www.powerskating.com/About_Barbara_Williams.html+jim+tester+figure+skat ing&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari
I would save it as it may be offline soon. You may want to see if you can find the info of Barbara Williams as she says she "first taught under the directorship of James Tester, the then head of the Nassau County Skating School."
I wonder if USFSA would give you his contact details?

He may now be in Lancaster, PA: http://lancasterbarnstormers.com/news.cfm?newsID=220

Here's a search that pulls up some articles: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=%22james+tester%22+figure+skating&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Ice Ramps
11-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks,

You have tracked him down as far as I have at least, I called Lancaster (in 2009) and I had just missed him by about a year.

I appreciate the help though,
Dale

Desert Ice
11-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Hello Dale-
It has been years since I've seen you. Tommy Shaw here. The last year Jim was in the PSA was in 2007. He was in PA. He is not listed in the 2008 directory or any after that. The last time I saw Jim, he was living in Brooklyn, NY. Perhaps he moved back there??? I would contact Linda Snow, but she died a few years ago.
Go online and find the rink in Brooklyn, someone there may be able to give you more info. I doubt that Jim is still a member of USFS as he is not a current member of PSA.

Tell your mother I said hello!

Tommy Shaw

Ice Ramps
11-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Tommy Shaw, WoW! BTW I have become friends with Carrie Ferguson on Facebook. So what do you think of my "little" project? www.iceramps.com

Dale

Ice Ramps
11-27-2010, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the follow up e-mail Tommy, looks like the number and e-mail are both dead links. I have not tried snail mail address yet but odds are that is that is a dead end too. Even if he left a forwarding address that would have expired too by now. I'm guessing that he left Lancaster, PA in late 2007 or early 2008.

Jim was a great coach and was pretty much like a Father to me. I joined the Army at age 18 (I am near retirement now) so I moved around a lot myself and regret losing touch with him, but hind sight is always 20/20.

-Dale

Iceman
11-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Try

http://www.spokeo.com/

I hope your friend is not deceased, but if he is his name and date of death should be on the Social Security directory.

Ice Ramps
11-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks Iceman, however those links help but at some point eventually ask for money for their services. I was hoping to avoid that process as it may or may not prove fruitful. What I was really looking for was either student(or their parent), or fellow coach that had stayed in touch with him to either pass along a message or perhaps provide contact information for Jim.

Thanks though,
Dale

LongTimeLurker
11-29-2010, 02:31 AM
FWIW, there is no "James O. Tester" in the Social Security Death Index. However, if he has passed away (let's hope not!) that does not mean he is not listed without a middle initial.

I have some more info. that I will PM you....

Ice Ramps
11-29-2010, 04:46 AM
LTL,

I received your PM, thanks for the information. I will update this this thread and let you know if that is him or not.

Thank you,
Dale

LongTimeLurker
11-29-2010, 05:30 AM
I found this photo (http://photos.lancasteronline.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=14175970&event=234123&CategoryID=18646). Is this the fellow you're looking for?

Ice Ramps
11-29-2010, 05:41 AM
Very well could be, that's not the best picture since he is looking down but yes I think it is. Granted I have not seen Jim since around 1982 so........who knows. Thanks again for the help!

Ice Ramps
11-29-2010, 05:48 AM
I found the person in the photo with him "Karli" on Facebook perhaps she can help.

-Dale

tangerine_dream
11-29-2010, 08:22 AM
I appreciate what you are trying to do but if he doesn't have a Facebook or anything else public perhaps he simply doesn't want to be found by old students/people he knew! There are many many tools out there online to make yourself easily found if you want to be.

In the same way, I'd really hate to think a whole bunch of people on a message board were out there looking up all kinds of records to try to find me if I simply wanted to be left alone.

I understand the feelings of the OP but there comes a point where you have to respect a person's privacy. If he wanted to reconnect with old friends, then he'd join a social network (many coaches have one). If not, then I think you should give him the basic courtesy of letting him be. You've made this post on here now which is the first thing that comes up in Google if you search for the man's name so if he wants to contact you then he will.

I think the internet really goes too far sometimes, and while everyone means well, it's really too far.

alilou
11-29-2010, 08:53 AM
double post