PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

FiveRinger
11-23-2010, 05:46 AM
Okay, I usually don't give a hoot about Black Friday. But, this year is going to be my one and only exception since I have inherited a house and I am moving into it in a couple of weeks. There are a million and one things that I need to buy, but I haven't been motivated to shop at all.

But, a few minutes ago, I saw a Target commercial for their 4am sale on Fri Nov 26 and it was so funny I couldn't stand it. The lady with the red velour jogging suit and the matching red and white pumps getting ready for a shopping marathon was hysterical! I haven't decided if the commercial has motivated me enough to brave the stores (especially at 4am), but I was wondering how many people here are. How many of you have made this part of your Thanksgiving tradition? How many of you are ready to start Xmas shopping (or how many of you dedicated people have already finished)? How many people (like myself) are thinking about braving the crowds not to shop for others, but for yourself? And how many of you have said the hell with it and are working on new leftover turkey recipes?

Note: I don't think that even under the best of circumstances that I can brave Walmart. I have seen the sales ad, lots of good deals, but I want to make it home to my purchases.

oleada
11-23-2010, 05:56 AM
I don't think I will be going this year, but I have gone in the past.

I always shop for both myself and others. A few years ago, I was in Austin with a friend's family, and we hit the outlets in San Marcos at midnight. I got some amazing deals. I got myself a gorgeous hot pink coat (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs061.snc3/12832_538518956795_26402468_31668529_5282542_n.jpg ) for under a $100, a bunch of polo shirts for my dad who wears polo shirts nearly every single day, two Kate Spade wristlets for under $20 a piece for both my sister and myself. Woot.

I usually had a vague idea of what I wanted (i.e. a coat, or shoes or whatever) but I've never gone for the big ticket items. This year, I want a Nook, so I might make the trek to Best Buy, but more than likely I'll order it online. The big box/electronics stores scare me.

manhn
11-23-2010, 05:57 AM
Why couldn't Black Friday happen the day after a holiday the US and Canada share? Besides their enthusiasm for presidential elections and their proficiency with the layback, I am always impressed at Americans' ability to link every holiday with a great sale.

When I retire and no longer have to work, I know what I will finally be able to do--attend a Black Friday sale! Go, if only for me. I think losing sleep for cheaper toiler paper is totally worth it.

Allskate
11-23-2010, 06:27 AM
I don't think I can brave the stores on Black Friday. I'm going to the dentist instead. :lol:

I read somewhere that Amazon is matching the prices of all major retailers on Black Friday. I assume that doesn't include the doorbusters, but that's still pretty good. So, I think I might buy a few things online while I'm waiting for the novocaine to wear off.

FiveRinger
11-23-2010, 06:28 AM
I've decided the lady in the Target commercial has got to be Sue Sylvester's sister, cousin or somebody on that family tree!:lol:

Anita18
11-23-2010, 07:10 AM
We only survived Black Friday the years that we all went as a family because my parents now live in podunk town and there simply aren't enough people to riot violently at any one store. :lol:

Last year my dad had his heart set on a new LED TV from Best Buy so us kids went and literally sat on the one that we found on the floor. I later discovered that they had more in another aisle, which made our furtive efforts to stake a claim on that TV moot. :rofl: I also somewhat recall there was some drama with my mom checking out the same TV in another store and having to cancel the purchase or somesuch. :rofl: I have no idea what people did in the era before cell phones. But Black Friday was probably not a big deal back then.

This year we'll be in a podunker town in a rental cabin, so no Black Friday for us. :) Dad got his new snazzy TV and is still marveling over it, so I think that'll last us for another 5 or so Black Fridays. :lol:

I did buy my sister a new digicam on Black Friday one year, but after going through all of the circulars and doing more research online, it was simply cheaper to buy it on Amazon. :lol:

Spinner
11-23-2010, 07:22 AM
I would never do Black Friday. :eek: But every year I most certainly do take advantage of Cyber Monday, and did today! :D

missflick
11-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Well, FiveRinger, congrats on inheriting a house!

vesperholly
11-23-2010, 09:20 AM
I would never do Black Friday. :eek: But every year I most certainly do take advantage of Cyber Monday, and did today! :D

Isn't Cyber Monday the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend?

Cherub721
11-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Isn't Cyber Monday the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend?

Yes, but Amazon.com started a week earlier.

I did hear that they were price matching, but that it was only on TVs. http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2398805 (slickdeals is a GREAT resource).

I've never done BF, but I've gotten more into bargain hunting this year, so I might get up at 5 and hit some stores, but no way am I camping out. And no Walmart for sure... someone here died last year, trampled to death. :(

Norlite
11-23-2010, 01:17 PM
I obviously have never done a Black friday, mainly because it doesn't exist here ;) but it reminds me of years ago when my kids were small and we did Boxing day in Quebec.

At the time stores in Ontario weren't open on that stat, or (very few and only in Tororto)
and it was a bit of a tradition that we would all pile into the car and drive the half hour to get to the Boxing Day sales across the border. Store didn't open till noon, we could have a nice brunch first, and hit the fabulous sales they always, always had. Came home with the car loaded in those days. Sort of like a 2 day Christmas. Stuff under the tree from Santa, stuff the kids got the next day picked out by themselves.

Aceon6
11-23-2010, 02:49 PM
The one and only time I've done Black Friday was a few years back in a desperate attempt to score a couple of Wiis. The family split up - 2 at Best Buy, 2 at Sears, 2 at GameStop, 2 at Target. Despite the planning and setting up a group chat, we came away empty. The one thing we needed, and didn't have, was a 14 year old track star. Every single Wii went to someone younger, bigger and faster than we were.

That said, it can be a fun thing to do with family or friends.

ChelleC
11-23-2010, 03:14 PM
There's not enough money in the world to pay me to go shopping on Black Friday.

myhoneyhoney
11-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Ever since my kids were born I've done the ToysRUs BF but I think I'm skipping it this year. My youngest is still just 5 but the stuff she likes will not sell out and are not that pricey anyways (she's into arts/crafts big time). I'm done shopping for my 7 year old and my 2 boys want electronics stuff that will be ordered online, probably Amazon. As for my hubby, I'll hit the stores during a weekday while everyone else is at school/work so I have time.

My hubby's birthday is on BF this year so we're going to be celebrating that at home and decorating for Christmas.

Rex
11-23-2010, 03:44 PM
I stay in on Black Fridays. It's scary downtown.