PDA

View Full Version : Can someone smart pleeeease help with retrieving data from hard drive?

Pages : [1] 2

Cherub721
11-23-2010, 01:44 AM
So my laptop died over the weekend. It was a Sony Vaio VGN S460 that I got in 2005.

I bought a new laptop and the store told me it would be really easy :hah: to transfer the files using a USB to SATA/IDE cable. I decided to try instead of calling the computer guy and spending more money, even though I NEVER have attempted anything like this.

I opened up my old laptop and removed the hard drive, which was impossible, but I somehow did it, so I really don't want to cave now and call the computer guy!!! I want to be an independent gal. :P

The salesman showed me something that looks like this (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0326491) and said all I had to do was take out my hard drive, and stick it on either side depending on how big it was, then plug in the usb and voila, my files would show up as a new drive, no installation needed.

The hard drive looks like this (http://www.lapzone.com/catalog/MK4004GAH.jpg) and still has a metal plate in the back on the other side (I don't think I was supposed to unscrew it and remove it). I can't fit that thingamajig in the pic above into the hard drive, unless I'm missing something???

The USB to SATA/IDE kit came with other parts though: all this stuff (http://www.geeks.com/largePic_All.asp?InvtId=2020&Pic=2020-soft.jpg). I can plug the red one and the tricolored one into my hard drive, and then I can connect them to the a/c adapter and the usb drive. I thought I was home free, but I plugged them both in and nothing happened. :( My computer does not recognize the USB device at all (like, it doesn't even say "device not recognized," it's just as if I never plugged it in). I looked at the available drives and nothing is there. I'm running Windows 7 on the new laptop, so I even tried on my pc which is Windows XP and nothing happened there either.

It came with a CD, but the directions make no sense and are written in broken English. I think I gathered from them that if I install the driver, the hard drive could be erased, so I'm scared to do that.

Does anyone have ANY advice? I've done every google search I can think of of and can't find a situation like mine. Thanks sooo much to anyone who even read this whole post!

Anita18
11-23-2010, 01:55 AM
When I was running Windows Server 2003, it wouldn't sense my external hard drive when I plugged it in. I had to go into "Disk Management" (I think it's always been under "Administration Tools" in the Control Panel) and assign it a drive letter myself so the computer would recognize it.

That's probably the easiest thing to try right now. I'm not familiar with laptop internals...

Cherub721
11-23-2010, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the response... I just went into disk management and there are four drives: C, E (the DVD drive), D (Recovery, which I guess came with the new laptop), and one called SYSTEM (this is without the USB in). I made SYSTEM Drive F, and the folder is empty.

Plugged in the USB with the hard drive in and I still get the same 4 drives under disk management, and when I open SYSTEM, it says it's empty.

I feel like I'm close, but it's soo frustrating! Thanks very much though.

another sk8rmom
11-23-2010, 02:06 AM
There is probably a driver and / or other software on that CD that needs to be installed before the device can be recognized.

Anita18
11-23-2010, 02:08 AM
There is probably a driver and / or other software on that CD that needs to be installed before the device can be recognized.
That's definitely another possibility. Is there anything on the setup screen that says "Install" or whatever?

You could always try Googling the hardware name and seeing if you can find a driver that way.

Cherub721
11-23-2010, 02:12 AM
This is what the manual says:

"For Windows Me / 2000 / XP, there is not any software installation required.
Windows 98 does not support default Mass Storage Driver. You have to install the
driver bundled with this product."

Since my old computer was XP and the new one is Windows 7, it seems like I shouldn't have to, but I am willing to try, I'm just afraid it will erase everything cause it goes on to say "For a new purchased harddisk, there are no any
partition information in it, we call it a blind-disk. You must partition a blind-disk before
you can use it ... Like use HDD in IDE mode. A newly HDD must be partition and format before it
can be use.
Caution: Please be careful in selecting the HDD to be partitioned and formatted, once
the partition and format is done then all of the file on the HDD will be erased."

So maybe it's ok for me to install it, because my hard drive isn't new and i'm not going to "partition" it, whatever the heck that means?

Gazpacho
11-23-2010, 02:15 AM
If it's a matter of the hard drive crashing, I would recommend putting the hard drive back into the laptop and trying to boot from a Knoppix CD. Knoppix is a Linux system. If you can see the files when you boot from Knoppix, then you are in luck. You can then use a crossover cable to recover your files.

Here (http://matt.blissett.me.uk/linux/howto/knoppix_recovery/) are instructions on how to do this.

Cherub721
11-23-2010, 02:19 AM
Thanks Gazpacho, but there's no way that's happening the way I took that poor old laptop apart. :lol: I cut stuff with scissors when I couldn't get to the drive, cause I figured I didn't need it anyway. :shuffle: I actually did see something about knoppix and linux in my googling yesterday, but it sounded too scary to tryand I thought this way would be easier. :rofl:

Anita18
11-23-2010, 02:23 AM
This is what the manual says:

"For Windows Me / 2000 / XP, there is not any software installation required.
Windows 98 does not support default Mass Storage Driver. You have to install the
driver bundled with this product."

Since my old computer was XP and the new one is Windows 7, it seems like I shouldn't have to, but I am willing to try, I'm just afraid it will erase everything cause it goes on to say "For a new purchased harddisk, there are no any
partition information in it, we call it a blind-disk. You must partition a blind-disk before
you can use it ... Like use HDD in IDE mode. A newly HDD must be partition and format before it
can be use.
Caution: Please be careful in selecting the HDD to be partitioned and formatted, once
the partition and format is done then all of the file on the HDD will be erased."

So maybe it's ok for me to install it, because my hard drive isn't new and i'm not going to "partition" it, whatever the heck that means?
Shouldn't be a problem. Since it's a hard disk with stuff already on it, it's already partitioned. However, if the software requires you re-partition it, definitely say no! :lol:

You still might want to download a driver (even the Windows 98 one) just to see if it works, though.

Cherub721
11-23-2010, 02:28 AM
Shouldn't be a problem. Since it's a hard disk with stuff already on it, it's already partitioned. However, if the software requires you re-partition it, definitely say no! :lol:

You still might want to download a driver (even the Windows 98 one) just to see if it works, though.

I'm installing the Win 98 one... I am sooo nervous right now!

ETA: Ok, I installed it, nothing bad happened, but I still don't see anything new under disk management.

Anita18
11-23-2010, 02:31 AM
I'm installing the Win 98 one... I am sooo nervous right now!
If it's an outdated driver, it won't break anything, don't worry. :)

I'm still thinking that adding hard drives to my desktop was a piece of cake compared to this! :lol: Oh, laptops.

Cherub721
11-23-2010, 02:36 AM
Hm, I think the problem is it's only compatible for up to windows XP, and there is no driver for Windows 7. I did a google search and a lot of people said they needed the driver for windows 7 and couldn't find it.

But then I did try it on a computer with windows XP (without installing the driver which I shouldn't need to), and it didn't work... oh but I didnt go and assign it a letter on that computer... hmm... more to think about :lol:

Anita18
11-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Hm, I think the problem is it's only compatible for up to windows XP, and there is no driver for Windows 7. I did a google search and a loot of people said they needed the driver for windows 7.

But then I did try it on a computer with windows XP (without installing the driver which I shouldn't need to), and it didn't work... oh but I didnt go and assign it a letter on that computer... hmm... more to think about :lol:
Hmm that's a good point. Definitely try all the configurations you can. :lol: Otherwise I'm stumped.

Gazpacho
11-23-2010, 02:49 AM
Thanks Gazpacho, but there's no way that's happening the way I took that poor old laptop apart. :lol: I cut stuff with scissors when I couldn't get to the drive, cause I figured I didn't need it anyway. :shuffle: I actually did see something about knoppix and linux in my googling yesterday, but it sounded too scary to tryand I thought this way would be easier. :rofl:Is there any way to reverse this? Knoppix is one of the most reliable methods of data recovery.

What happens if you install Knoppix on your master drive?

Cherub721
11-23-2010, 02:56 AM
What happens if you install Knoppix on your master drive?

What does that mean? :o