PDA

View Full Version : Kindle - How sturdy?

Pages : [1] 2 3

myhoneyhoney
11-22-2010, 03:56 PM
My oldest son is a voracious reader. We live in a small place and I'm running out of space to store his books. I'm thinking of giving him one for Christmas but I'm hesitant because they're so thin... He understands that he needs to be gentle with electronics but he is still an 11 year old boy who has "accidents". So... how sturdy are they?

cynthiabc
11-22-2010, 03:59 PM
I am pretty klutzy, and in two years my Kindle has suffered no damages. I would recommend getting one of the covers available for protection. I love mine and I thing it would be a great gift for a reader.

Spinner
11-22-2010, 04:49 PM
My oldest son is a voracious reader. We live in a small place and I'm running out of space to store his books. I'm thinking of giving him one for Christmas but I'm hesitant because they're so thin... He understands that he needs to be gentle with electronics but he is still an 11 year old boy who has "accidents". So... how sturdy are they?

Get a nook from Barnes & Noble. The just introduced the full-color touch screen nookcolor too. Protection plans are cheap and if you need any help at all you can go to your nearest store for assistance.

pilgrimsoul
11-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Agree with Spinner - the Nook is a great choice and B&N's customer service is top notch.

Spinner
11-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Agree with Spinner - the Nook is a great choice and B&N's customer service is top notch.

If for nothing else, the ability to get personal help as opposed to calling who-knows-where for "help" from lord-knows-whom over the phone would decide it for me.

Moto Guzzi
11-22-2010, 06:31 PM
I've dropped my Kindle a few times with no damage. I have a cover that zips around it and is great for keeping stuff out of it when I'm carrying it around in my purse or a bag. I particularly like being able to download books without being on a computer or in a bookstore. I just turn on the wireless feature and have my book within seconds. I love my Kindle.

Artemis@BC
11-22-2010, 09:51 PM
All of the e-reader's I've played with (Sony, Kindle, Kobo) have been relatively sturdy -- probably just as sturdy as a GameBoy, which boys younger than 11 manage to not break. The iPad, OTH, is quite flimsy and probably not recommended.

Wiery
11-22-2010, 09:51 PM
I have a nook and a 3G kindle...both are great...both can be broken so must be ALWAYS kept in a protective reading case. My kindle case has it's own reading light that gets its power from the kindle; I think that's pretty wonderful since I do a lot of 2am in bed reading. The nook's touch screen is great for web browsing-kindle's web browsing is a bit more awkward to use.

I agree with the others who say B&N's customer service is top notch...amazon's is not great, IMO.

My 7 year-old son broke my first kindle by putting his knee on it when climbing into bed...it was in its case but lying open, so emphasize to your son that it must not be left on the bed, floor, in a chair, or left with the case open and/or unzipped.

I think he'll be happy with either one-let us know what you decide to get!

DickButtonFan
11-22-2010, 10:02 PM
I have dropped my iPod a billion times and it still works great. I luv it for reading and you can just put it in your pocket. You can use kindle books and iBooks on the iPod 3 or 4. Your son might like that better.

1lutz2klutz
11-22-2010, 11:54 PM
One of our local high schools just replaced all textbooks with Kindles. They must be pretty convinced that the device is fairly sturdy, since each student was given one.

Aceon6
11-23-2010, 01:35 AM
My 7 year-old son broke my first kindle by putting his knee on it when climbing into bed...it was in its case but lying open, so emphasize to your son that it must not be left on the bed, floor, in a chair, or left with the case open and/or unzipped.

I think he'll be happy with either one-let us know what you decide to get!

My s-i-l added an electronics ritual to her kids bedtime. Each device needs to be located, checked for battery level, and left on the hall counter. She did it just for the reason you listed and to keep the kids from reading/listening in bed.

myhoneyhoney
11-23-2010, 02:30 AM
oh my goodness, thank you for the replies and input! Looks like I have more research to do. That Nook is looking good but I'm worried about the stability of B&N. Aren't they up for sale?

Angelskates
11-23-2010, 02:39 AM
The iPad, OTH, is quite flimsy and probably not recommended.

:eek: I would never call the iPad flimsy. I work with kids from 3 years old, and I've dropped mine more than they have dropped it, and it hasn't a scratch on it. The iPad is not supposed to be primarily an e-reader, but I would consider it far less flimsy than a nook or a kindle (both of which I've used and love, but wouldn't buy now that I have an iPad.)

myhoneyhoney
11-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Well, the iPad is OUT of my budget considering I'm a SAHM with 4 kids and we live off hubby's paycheck and we REFUSE to use credit cards to buy gifts, lol. This is for an 11 year old after all...

zhenya271
11-23-2010, 03:07 AM
oh my goodness, thank you for the replies and input! Looks like I have more research to do. That Nook is looking good but I'm worried about the stability of B&N. Aren't they up for sale?

Yeah, I thought the word a few months ago was that they were on the verge of bankruptcy. What would that mean for Nook users? Does Nook have Whispernet like the Kindle?