11-22-2010, 02:57 PM
November 22, l963

What might have been

purple skates
11-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Kennedy? ETA: JFK?

nubka
11-22-2010, 03:17 PM
US team skating air crash? Oh, dumb me, what was I thinking! Of course, JFK. I was a five year old chilld when it happened.

Fergus
11-22-2010, 03:18 PM
It's Kennedy.

Indeed, "“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'........."

attyfan
11-22-2010, 04:12 PM
November 22, l963

What might have been

That is something that historians will debate forever, IMO. A great tragedy, regardless of what might (or might not) have been.

purple skates
11-22-2010, 06:02 PM
US team skating air crash? Oh, dumb me, what was I thinking! Of course, JFK. I was a five year old chilld when it happened.

My user name is a good indication of my age then. :lol:

soxxy
11-22-2010, 07:09 PM
It's astonishing to realize that JFK would be "only" 93 had he survived.

danceronice
11-22-2010, 10:12 PM
And cue the all-day DC, History, etc. Kennedy shows. I loved how Unsolved History has basically taken all the conspiracy loons to pieces, repeatedly, complete with expensive live-fire recreations demonstrating it really can't have happened any way besides the 'official' version and that for Ruby to be a pro hit man, he was a really bad one, plus the conspiracy would have to have involved about three hundred people in Dallas alone.

Best book on the subject (and given on the Kennedys changed their mind on endorsing it, probably the most accurate), despite being a bit florid and worshipful, Manchester's "Death of a President."

dbny
11-22-2010, 11:25 PM
I was in my high school English class when JFK was shot and was competing in roller figures in Dallas the day Ruby killed Oswald. My parents saw it live and that's how I heard about it, when they came to pick me up.

numbers123
11-23-2010, 12:53 AM
I was in 5th grade and really didn't understand what was going on. The principal made the announcement over the PA system. The teachers were distraught, I didn't get it.

I watched the funeral, but other than the whole country being sad, I couldn't relate.

But then I wasn't that impressed by the landing on the moon. Guess the history points didn't hit me like they should have

danceronice
11-23-2010, 01:15 AM
I wouldn't say the whole country. I don't think my parents cared all that much--as Mom said, she still had a Latin test to study for, and as Dad said, he still had to go to work. Remember, Kennedy only barely won and wasn't especially popular with everyone. It was less caring about him personally than the OMG THE PRESIDENT.

paskatefan
11-23-2010, 11:11 AM
I was in 6th grade at the time, and my teacher put on the radio while the class was quietly working on an art project. That weekend, I remember attending a memorial service at my synagogue.

FGRSK8
11-23-2010, 12:02 PM
I was a senior in high school.

We went to Hyannisport, MA for Thanksgiving with my grandmother who lived there at the time.

Worst windstorm ever Thanksgiving night and the following day with gusts 110mph. It seemed the weather was upset as well since Jackie Kennedy was at the Kennedy Compound in seclusion during Thanksgiving..

Meredith
11-23-2010, 12:28 PM
I was in my high school English class when JFK was shot and was competing in roller figures in Dallas the day Ruby killed Oswald. My parents saw it live and that's how I heard about it, when they came to pick me up.

I was a senior in high school when Kennedy was assassinated. We were in Government class, and the principal turned the speakers on in all of the classrooms so the students and teachers could hear the breaking news. By the time I arrived home, I remember thinking that all the people who complained about Kennedy's presidency in life would say something quite different after his death. They did.

Kennedy was the first president I ever campaigned for.

Patsy
11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
I think it's interesting that someone (a mod, I assume) altered my thread's title; I had left out the "exactly what" on purpose.