PDA

View Full Version : Which RUSSIAN skater(s) do admire NA fans most?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

professordeb
11-27-2010, 02:33 PM
I Am Canadian ... and my picks from the past are:

Men: Yagudin, early Plushenko, Abt

Women: Slutskaya

Pairs: B&S - loved their silky smoothness and their Chaplin program.

Dance: hmmm ... none really come to mind.

As for the current crop, I haven't seen enough of them yet to make a determination how I feel about them.

PUNKPRINCESS
12-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Glad to hear Alexander Abt was not lost entirely in the shadows of two great contemporaries... :)

Perky Shae Lynn
12-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Yagudin was phenomenal, I can't imagine anyone not admiring him.

I also loved and admired G&G, B&S and Klimova & Ponomarenko.

Admired Slutskaya for her spunk and determination - though wasn't a huge fan of her skating.

bardtoob
12-02-2010, 08:34 PM
I can't speak for everybody, but I ADORE THE PROTOPOPOVS and like:

Rodnina
Ivanova
V/V
G/G
M/D
Ilia Kulik
Irina Slutskaya
Maria Butryskaya

barbk
12-02-2010, 09:45 PM
USA here too:

Other than the Russian lady headcases (and their male counterparts), what's not to like about Russian skaters, particularly those of years past? Krylova (now there was a diva), Dmitriev and both his partners, G&G, G&P, Yagudin, Kulik, Slutskaya (especially in later years), N&K,... the list goes on and on.

I wasn't a fan of most of the headcases (Volchkova, Sokolova, Abt) and I've rarely liked Pluschenko, and never cared for Bestemeniova & Bukin.

aliceanne
12-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Let's see...

1. Alexandre Fadeev - Mephisto (Ice Wars)
2. Bechke and Petrov in SOI (their speed was beyond amazing but didn't come across on TV)
3. Illia Kulik - Rubberband Man
4. Alexei Yagudin - especially Salt Lake Olympics
5. Viktoria Volchkova - I always had high hopes for her but something happened to her after 2003 Worlds
6. Urmanov did a Beatles medley exhibition number that I loved
7. Always enjoyed Plushenko and Slutskaya - good or bad they always had a lot of personality and put on a good show

Susan M
12-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I've really liked lots of Russian skaters over the years. I've never really thought in terms of "admire" but the ones I like the most and actively rooted for are:

Kulik - He was one of those "love at first sight skaters" for me, with such a light and musical quality to his skating. In addition to effortless speed and wonderful spring in his jumps, you can see in every movement that he feels and expresses the music in his whole body.

I felt the same about both Petrenko & Baiul. (I know they are really Ukraine and not Russian, but they came out of the old Soviet skating system.)

I also liked Urmanov and Yagudin and was one of those who particularly enjoyed watching Alexander Abt. I think Borudulin is a cutie, but I am not quite sure about his skating yet.

Mishkutenok & Dmitriev are, I think, my all time favorite pair team. I also really liked G&G and Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze. By the end of their career Totmanianina/Marinin had also achieved a classic pairs look I really liked. I also liked Betchke & Petrov in their SOI years. I think for them, I would use "admired" especially because they never stopped putting SBS jumps in their pro programs.

Klimova-Ponomarenko - I was charmed by this couple at the 84 Olympics and rooted for them for the next 8 years. I think they were great, great dancers, one of the few teams where your eye was not constantly drawn to only one of them.

In dance, I also really liked Usova-Zhulin and Lobacheva-Averbukh (especially him).

I can't actually think of any Russian ladies I especially rooted for. I did enjoy Irina S when she was very young, but in later years, she lost that charm for me as her skating no longer looked fun and effortless.