PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan deserves his scores

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

ks1227
11-20-2010, 05:06 AM
Maybe I'm alone, but I'm really tired of all the whining and snarking about Patrick Chan's scores. I actually don't think he has been overscored at all. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-7H60-jJyg

It's time for some of us to start standing up for the minority view at FSU. I honestly can't think of a single skater right now who skates this well. And I think all the folks who are whining about "chanflation" need to name a skater who is better than this. Or shut up. ;)

And I'm not even Canadian. :shuffle:

vodkashot
11-20-2010, 05:08 AM
I am OK with Chan's scores at CoR so far....but do you honestly think he deserved his scores at Skate Canada, especially with that disaster of a SP?

ks1227
11-20-2010, 05:15 AM
I am OK with Chan's scores at CoR so far....but do you honestly think he deserved his scores at Skate Canada, especially with that disaster of a SP?

Yup, I do think that. :D As unpopular as it might be here.

ks1227
11-20-2010, 05:17 AM

By the way, which skaters at Skate Canada do you think should have been scored higher? :shuffle:

MR-FAN
11-20-2010, 05:38 AM
Chan is brilliant! BRILLIANT! I saw the top 6 SPs from COR today, then quickly glanced over the pbp. I CANNOT believe people actually thought he should've placed 3rd, and were shocked with his scores. I love me some Abbott and Verner, but were we watching the same SPs? Chan fell on the 3-axel, but every single one of his other elements were simply the BEST. His SP footwork sequence is probably my all-time favorite straight line footwork sequence by a male skater... EVER. (sorry Yagudin fans). Nothing compares to it's brilliance. Then that glorious Quad-triple (who said you can't do a quad-triple out of footwork, and that 30-seconds cross overs are a must?) the spins were brilliant, fastest and most centered of any other skater at COR. his flip was also a thing of beauty.

Abbott, who did not fall, has a great footwork sequence, and a very nice 3-axel. His 3-3 was just ok, and the solo jump was weak, low, and he just hung on to it. 2 of his spins (the up-right and the combo) were not good. Oh yeah, and no quad! That's a 4-point deficit right there.

And Verner, who I love, had a bad landing on his 3-axel, and he lips. The less I say about his flying camel the better. I like his program, but no way I'd have scored it any where near Chan today.

I personally get a kick of posters blowing a gasket everytime his scores show up :rofl: doesn't bother me a bit, so long as the judges keep rewarding his once-in-a-generation talent.

CHAN CHAN CHAN!

dinakt
11-20-2010, 05:42 AM
Patrick deserved his scores today. He was overscored in Canada. IMHO.

judgejudy27
11-20-2010, 05:43 AM
He is overscored atleast 90% of the time. Trying to pick out the 10% of the time his scores might be semi reasonable is moot to the overall context of the situation.

MR-FAN
11-20-2010, 05:44 AM
I thought he was under-scored in Skate Canada :cheer2:

luCN
11-20-2010, 06:03 AM

agree.

jl22aries
11-20-2010, 06:04 AM
agree.

Me as well. He is a wonderful skater.

Triple Butz
11-20-2010, 06:22 AM

Yes.

DickButtonFan
11-20-2010, 06:25 AM
I think chan deserved 1st too. Abbot skates so stiff and jerky, he needs to work on that among other areas of his skating.

SmallFairy
11-20-2010, 06:40 AM
this problem is nothing new. different skaters through the times has won or had good results, also with the old 6.0. I remember at worlds 1999, Elena & Anton were fighting with Shen & Zhao for gold. IIRC the chinese skated clean, and Lena fell or stepped out of her double axel. Still, B&S won, because of the overall quality of their elements, the basic skating and the presentation. S&Z were getting there, but still a little rough around the edges at that time.

I had quite a few discussions with other people in the audience that night, who couldn't understand why B&S won. She fell??? The others did not! they could not get it.

I think Lena & Anton are a good example of skaters who had so many qualities to them, it made up for errors vs.others who skated clean, and for the untrained eye, better. (Olys 1998, 2002 as example. In olys 98 Anton fell in the short p, and they still placed in the top 3 above clean pairs)

Now, Chan is such a skater,and also Lepistö. Love her to death, her basic and in-betweens are divine!!

luCN
11-20-2010, 07:06 AM
You are quite right. Many people don't know that much about figure skating rules.They just think people who didn't fall should get the highest point,even they sucked on other elements or step out the jumps.It's a pity.

IceAlisa
11-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Chan is brilliant! BRILLIANT! I saw the top 6 SPs from COR today, then quickly glanced over the pbp. I CANNOT believe people actually thought he should've placed 3rd, and were shocked with his scores. I love me some Abbott and Verner, but were we watching the same SPs? Chan fell on the 3-axel, but every single one of his other elements were simply the BEST. His SP footwork sequence is probably my all-time favorite straight line footwork sequence by a male skater... EVER. (sorry Yagudin fans). Nothing compares to it's brilliance. Then that glorious Quad-triple (who said you can't do a quad-triple out of footwork, and that 30-seconds cross overs are a must?) the spins were brilliant, fastest and most centered of any other skater at COR. his flip was also a thing of beauty.

Abbott, who did not fall, has a great footwork sequence, and a very nice 3-axel. His 3-3 was just ok, and the solo jump was weak, low, and he just hung on to it. 2 of his spins (the up-right and the combo) were not good. Oh yeah, and no quad! That's a 4-point deficit right there.

And Verner, who I love, had a bad landing on his 3-axel, and he lips. The less I say about his flying camel the better. I like his program, but no way I'd have scored it any where near Chan today.

I personally get a kick of posters blowing a gasket everytime his scores show up :rofl: doesn't bother me a bit, so long as the judges keep rewarding his once-in-a-generation talent.

CHAN CHAN CHAN!
I was about to post here but you've covered all the points I was going to make and then some! You even mentioned Verner's sleep-inducing flying camel.

Yes, Patrick's footwork was to die for--the effortless skating on one foot, the mastery of the blade :swoon: His basics are to die for.

All the jumps save the 3 axel were perfection and again seemed effortless. Someone criticized his interpretation as out of sync of the music--it's syncopated so is he also supposed to stop and go, stop and go? After all, Morozov did NOT choreograph this program.

Of course he deserved it. :kickass: