PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan deserves his scores

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

The Accordion
11-21-2010, 07:50 AM
To even remotedly justify the judges willing to make the winner of all events even with 4 falls over top skaters who skate pretty cleanly Chan would have to be much better than everyone else in all aspects, especialy in all PC aspects. So just saying he can interpret music pretty well or perform pretty well is not nearly good enough, he has to be absolutely out of the World great at it and everything else like he supposably is/maybe is in things like skating skills and transitional complexity if you want any rational minded majority to just come forward and say "yeah it is fine if Chan wins all event with 4 falls since he is so superior".

And since Chan is clearly not head and shoulders better than everyone else in every department he does not merit victories with 4 falls, not at all. And the complains over his grossly inflated scores will continue until it stops, even if that is until the day he retires from eligiible skating or the day figure skating goes extinct as a sport (whichever comes first is this kind of farce scoring and uninspiring skating as we have seen so far this fall, especialy for the men, continues much longer).

And what a joke any of you try to bring Takahashi into the fray. Takahashi is nowhere near as overscored as Chan is so far this season anyway. If the judges applies the same thinking to Takahashi as they do with Chan he would have won the Olympic Gold easily last year with his only one fall.

I am not JUSTIFYING anything. I am stating the facts

How the judges see it is what determines the results = FACT
The mandatory deductions are being applied for Chan's falls = FACT
Opinions about performance and interpretation are subjective = FACT
Only the opinions of the judges in these areas affect the outcome = FACT

And then I gave my opinion as well - In my opionon Chan does interpret the music very well (not pretty well) and nearly always continues to do so despite falls and whether or not he falls does not take away from his skating skills. Because of this - he will deserve more points than others who skate more cleanly. Again - this is my OPINION and I have a right to it.

And - you may want to read my post again to discover I was not trying to bring Takahashi into any fray. I mention him as a skater who IMO is superior in enough areas to other skaters that he can and should win over skaters who may skate "cleaner" than him. Overscored is your word - not mine - and I have never found Takahashi - my favourite eligible male skater right now- to be overscored - though I might have liked him to be at the Olympics last year.

briancoogaert
11-21-2010, 07:59 AM
But hopefully he will remain an exception, so that it won't become a pattern for skaters to be excellent in skating skills and lacking of consistency in the jump area.
Because figure skating is not ice dancing, if skaters start to win even without the jumps it will become dangerous for the futur of the sport.
Well, I hope we will see many skaters as Patrick Chan. Because if there are more exceptional skaters, those skaters will have to skate clean to win. ;)

judgejudy27
11-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Well, I hope we will see many skaters as Patrick Chan. Because if there are more exceptional skaters, those skaters will have to skate clean to win. ;)

The other exceptional skaters wont have Skate Canada buying their marks for them.

lily
11-21-2010, 08:57 AM
I just love his skating. So brilliant skills. :swoon:Do not care for Oda, Rippon, Abbot.

If Chan has so brilliant skills, why he falls so often? Isn't remain upright a skill too?

judgejudy27
11-21-2010, 09:12 AM
If Chan has so brilliant skills, why he falls so often? Isn't remain upright a skill too?

He falls with such class and elegance. The judges love his falls, they serve as artistic highlights to the choreography and program. In a way they are a part of his creative "transitions". :lol: The more of those very artistic and elegant falls he can insert in his program, the higher his PCS will go as they are so beautiful to watch.

umronnie
11-21-2010, 12:06 PM
He falls with such class and elegance. The judges love his falls, they serve as artistic highlights to the choreography and program. In a way they are a part of his creative "transitions". :lol: The more of those very artistic and elegant falls he can insert in his program, the higher his PCS will go as they are so beautiful to watch.

Well, he does use his whole body when he falls, so that should count extra in SS, right?

Cheylana
11-21-2010, 03:28 PM
I actually like Patrick Chan a lot. I'm undecided as to whether I think he is overscored. I think maybe just a teensy bit. His feet are amazing, but his upper body is still kind of stiff, like Johnny noted at the last Worlds. It's like he's sacrificing the upper half in favor of focusing on the lower half, and that doesn't entirely work for me. Even so, the use of his upper body is better than last season, so it looks like he is working on that.

On another note, has Patrick ever skated a clean competition? His programs look insanely difficult, so he's really rolling the dice when he goes out there to compete. Hard to land everything when the programs are jampacked with nonstop footwork and transitions. Does he need more breathing spots in his freeskate?

ltnskater
11-21-2010, 04:08 PM
You are quite right. Many people don't know that much about figure skating rules.They just think people who didn't fall should get the highest point,even they sucked on other elements or step out the jumps.It's a pity.

Agreed! :( and unfortunately, it seems that we have quite a lot of these people here on FSU ironically!

Allen
11-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Agreed! :( and unfortunately, it seems that we have quite a lot of these people here on FSU ironically!

Oh, here we go again, people have different opinions and that means they don't understand skating.

My point with Chan is that while he does have the best basics, they are not so much better than Takahashi or Abbot that he should win with 3 and 4 falls. Now, based on the skating in these two GP events, I'm not 100 percent sure it is that unrealistic, but I don't think this will or should happen at Worlds. I realize that falling in COP is far less significant than it was in 6.0, but to say that people don't understand the rules because they want to see the winner skate clean is a little far fetched.

judgejudy27
11-21-2010, 04:29 PM
I think Abbott needs to skate with alot more conviction than he currently is to even win a medal at Worlds let alone be considered for the gold. He skated decently so far except his LP in Russia. However he looks tenative and nervous, he isnt pushing the programs out with speed and confidence like Takahashi or Chan inspite of their mistakes, he isnt performing as well as he can, his jump landings arent great right now, and his spins currently need alot of improvement. As he is skating now he wont beat Takahashi or Chan unless they bomb, even if the judges somehow come back to earth on Chan, and he will have a hard time beating several of the others if they skate to their potential.

blade runner
11-21-2010, 04:42 PM
If you read all of the post about Chan there is one thing that everyone agree's on (Chan's skating skills are the best in the world). Now you add his Quad combo (best jump in the world) into the equation. That being said justifies his scoring.

At the end of the day Chan is the best skater in the world and the judges know it!

judgejudy27
11-21-2010, 05:09 PM
If you read all of the post about Chan there is one thing that everyone agree's on (Chan's skating skills are the best in the world). Now you add his Quad combo (best jump in the world) into the equation.

Not really. That alone does not justify him being 4 falls better than everyone else. He isnt the only guy doing a quad, and he isnt clearly the best at anything other than possibly skating skills. I guess Yuka Sato skated in the wrong era, she would be able to fall 4 times and beat all the women she couldnt beat in her own era even skating well normally, after all she has the best skating skills.

MR-FAN
11-21-2010, 05:17 PM
:watch:

CHAN CHAN CHAN!!

museksk8r
11-21-2010, 05:54 PM
The best skater, NAH! The most flawed, ABSOLUTELY!

mia joy
11-21-2010, 06:25 PM
They just think people who didn't fall should get the highest point,even they sucked on other elements or step out the jumps.It's a pity.

Ok, so now show me how Verner sucked so much on other elements, that it justified Chan almost winning with him with his 4 falls :rolleyes:

I just don't get it. Many people act like Verner is a random middle-level skater, who has no skating skills, no interpretation abilities, no choreography, his jumping technique is so awful and he doesn't know how to land a triple while Chan's jumps are so difficult. Duh.