PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan deserves his scores

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Skate Talker
11-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Well obviously, Patrick Chan is like the greatest skater ever. Why bother even having competitions? I think Patrick Chan should have predetermined PCS that are unattainable by any other skater just because he's so superior.

So just my opinion, but if you substitute the name that starts with a "P" for the name that starts with a "C" and subtract 5 years then you hit the nail on its sarcastic head. However, I think Mr."C" actually is miles better in many PCS, not just SS like Mr."P" so his scores should reflect that. Again just my opinion.

And very interesting that SmallFairy brings up Elena & Anton's marks - I'm going to have to think about that...

senorita
11-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Invalid comparisson :p MR C has superb SS but fell on his ass -only the last month- as many times as Mr P has fallen in his entire career. If Chan skates clean his program will be fantastic but until he does so his IN and PE are not such wonderful, he looks down and rushes through choreo, projecting no personality and his jumps except the gorgeous quad are small.

professordeb
11-20-2010, 08:14 PM
OK, apparently I am sooo out of it that I can't figure out who is Mr C. Anyone wish to name names to help me out? If not here, a PM would be great.

Just to clarify, I was watching skating 15 years ago but not as much as I do now - thank you internet!

judgejudy27
11-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Invalid comparisson :p MR C has superb SS but fell on his ass -only the last month- as many times as Mr P has fallen in his entire career. If Chan skates clean his program will be fantastic but until he does so his IN and PE are not such wonderful, he looks down and rushes through choreo, projecting no personality and his jumps except the gorgeous quad are small.

I agree and yet he gets monstrous scores far better than all others in IN and PE and GOE for his landed jumps (even ones he barely holds onto), even with programs with many falls. Oh well, not like Chan has to earn any of his scores or anything, he is so special. And of course he isnt overscored at all. :rolleyes:

bek
11-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Ita about the fact that Plushenko actually delivered in the top competitions. Look Plushenko's PCS were absolutely too high, but I don't think his Olympic win can be disputed. Nor really can his worlds wins. So to compare the two situations is ridiculous IMO.

briancoogaert
11-20-2010, 09:05 PM
OK, apparently I am sooo out of it that I can't figure out who is Mr C. Anyone wish to name names to help me out? If not here, a PM would be great.

Just to clarify, I was watching skating 15 years ago but not as much as I do now - thank you internet!
LOL, Mr C : see thread title.
As for Mr P. senorita wrote a post to defend Mr P. That's obvious now. ;)

Just kidding you, senorita, of course :)

senorita
11-20-2010, 09:16 PM
:lol::lol::lol: really not intended to defend anything, I dont debate chan has better SS than Plu has/had, I just found the previous post before mine with Mr P and Mr C amusing:)
The ones who shall not be named kind of thing;)

Artifice
11-20-2010, 09:47 PM
I just hope Chan is an exception and that his scores are just the result of an exceptional skating quality. Because it's kind of weird to have such results with so many falls. If rules are respected Chan gets deductions and he is just being rewarded for his skating skills according to the rules. Discussing about the fairness of his PCS is another issue that I can't discuss here. I'm just assuming that they are deserved averall.

But hopefully he will remain an exception, so that it won't become a pattern for skaters to be excellent in skating skills and lacking of consistency in the jump area.
Because figure skating is not ice dancing, if skaters start to win even without the jumps it will become dangerous for the futur of the sport.

sk8er1964
11-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Hopefully they will change the rules in the SP to punish people who fall on or otherwise blow required elements. If that had been in place this year, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

museksk8r
11-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Because figure skating is not ice dancing, if skaters start to win even without the jumps it will become dangerous for the futur of the sport.

No, singles and pairs figure skating clearly isn't ice dancing because when ice dancers fall on required elements, there's no way they can win a gold medal.

Zokko!
11-20-2010, 10:45 PM
... and the earth is a cube ... :rofl: :rofl: :violin:

dinakt
11-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Arggh. I rewatched Patrick's SP and LP twice right now.
No, he does not deserve the best scores of the competition in Interpretation.
Interpretation is the ability of a body to internalize borrowed material, make it one's own and blend it with one's personality, creating something new in the process.
What Patrick has is amazing SS. His interpretation is rudimentary; he skates like a virtuoso, but OVER his material, not in it. His legs are amazing. His hands and upper body are stiff, and he does not change anything in his carriage when music changes. The slow, middle part of Phantom is a rest and feels like one- the body language does not react to lyricism with a tangible change. In Take Five his body does not accentuate the main thing in the piece- the constant 3+2 of the rhythm. In contrast, Kozuka's Take Five from 2008- 2009 just oozes the jazziness and awareness of shifting accents. THAT's interpretation. What Patrick does so far is brilliantly proficient skating with not much awareness of what's going on musically. So when he gets the highest interpretation marks of the competition, I get frustrated to no end. And no, I do not "hate" him, that's just silly. But while acknowledging what he skates great, it's hard to bear him being gifted for things he does not excell in. I saw him live several times, and my impressions live are the same.

judgejudy27
11-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Chan also gets much higher GOE for his landed jumps than he deserves for most of them. His jumps are not that big or impressive yet get huge GOE if he even stands them up which is a joke. Which explains his perplexingly high TES even with falls as well.

Chan is basically overscored in EVERY aspect, just some more than others. And Chan did deserve to win the SP even with his one fall IMO, but it shouldnt have been by the margin he did either. And the LP way overscored, another Skate Chanada like embarassment. There isnt one program he has skated this year with a completely fair score but the SP here was the closest.

piano18
11-20-2010, 11:23 PM
I just love his skating. So brilliant skills. :swoon:Do not care for Oda, Rippon, Abbot.

museksk8r
11-20-2010, 11:26 PM
^ Yeah, it requires such brilliant skills to fall 8 times in the span of 2 events in competition.