PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan deserves his scores

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21

professordeb
11-27-2010, 02:29 PM
I've seen Chan skate live and he's no Stephane Lambiel, Matt Savoie, or Ryan Janke.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :D

VIETgrlTerifa
11-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :D

Do you really have to ask? ;)

Clytie
11-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Chan is simply despicable.

I guess your trying to get as strong a reaction as you can out of some people. I would agree with you if you could back it up with some really despicable make-my-blood-run-cold facts. Like he killed someone.
Sure he's PCS scores are too high for most of us to swallow. And yes he has shot off his mouth about other skaters in a less than tactful manner. Of course he's still technically a teenager so I cut him some slack. Compared to most of the teenagers I used to work with in highschool he's a charmer. I haven't seen him banging barriers, yelling or saying someone did'nt deserve to win the way Joubert did in 08.

I do think Patrick is a great skater. The CBC commentators who gush over him have done a great job of explaining why. Kurt in particular has pointed out things Patrick does that look simple to us but other skaters know are difficult. That being said getting PCS in the eighties when you fall on your butt 3 times is a little high for me. But I've also felt that way about other skaters who end up in the sixties with TES and then their PCS are in the high 70's or low 80's. I think its a flaw in the judging system but all human systems are going to be flawed. Its just the way us humans are. I think they will continue to tweak with the system in the future in reaction to the criticism. I've already seen it changed several times. Its not Patick's fault that it was tweaked to his advantage this time. In 2006 it was to Plushenko's. I mean really he won the gold in the short with what I consider a less than memorble performance. But that is just my opinion. Clearly he dazzled the judges at the time.

My only fear with all these huge PCS scores is that Patrick is going to start thinking dropping onto the ice three times really does'nt mean you are out of contention. He seemed shocked by his sp at the Olympics and the score he got considering it was'nt top level. I can only imagine how these GP scores are playing in his mind. It could be his program is too tough for him. I don't think any of the top men could do that program and go clean. There is pretty much a transition into every jump and he is constantly moving. I like that he is pushing himself though. In a way he is testing the limits. If he ever went clean (yeah I know :P) he would rack up a monster score. Maybe even higher than Dai's record score.

I am just glad he decided to stay in skating. I was afraid if he won a medal in Vancouver he would retire. Skating is definitely more interesting with him in it. Even if he does bring out the venom in some people. I think he has a tough enough skin to take it. His Olympic profile piece was enlighting in that regard. Apparently Osbourne Coulson his first coach was harder on him than any poster on FSU has been. To even criticize the way he set the table in his own house. :lol:

dundas
11-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Your assessment of Mao's skills is totally inaccurate.

I don't believe we need a lesson on what is great 'skating skill' from a skating mom who was unable to make her daughter competitive at sectional level with tons of money being sunk in. :biggrinbo:biggrinbo

Rafter
11-27-2010, 04:55 PM
I've seen Chan skate live and he's no Stephane Lambiel, Matt Savoie, or Ryan Janke.

Yes, his speed, power and edge quality are all superior to the skaters mentioned above. :D

professordeb
11-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Do you really have to ask? ;)

Well, depending upon your point of view, one could take that question a number of ways.

For instance, I could agree that yes, Patrick isn't one of them, he's better! and then I would have to run and duck from a few posters here considering the venom I've seen written about him.

I could agree that yes, Patrick isn't one of them, he's worse - but then I'd be lying.

Patrick is who is he is and I enjoy watching him. I've also enjoyed the other three listed at various times - Lambiel probably the most out of the three.

I was just trying to have a bit of fun, tongue in cheek and not taking myself seriously at all with that response.

Dragonlady
11-27-2010, 09:29 PM
I don't believe we need a lesson on what is great 'skating skill' from a skating mom who was unable to make her daughter competitive at sectional level with tons of money being sunk in. :biggrinbo:biggrinbo

When you can't attack the facts, you attack the poster. Weakest thing you could possibly do.

Since my daughter never skater above Pre-Juvenile, she would have needed to have achieved Juvenile level to go to Sectionals. And no "ton of money" was sunk in. We didn't skate a high-priced competitive club with a top level, we skated at a local public rink, with a club coach.

My daughter skated at CanSkate comps for fun. You seem to have an issue with that.

judgejudy27
11-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Yes, his speed, power and edge quality are all superior to the skaters mentioned above. :D

And every other aspect of Lambiel's artistry and performance level outside of basic skating (and his is excellent as well) is superior to Chan's. His spins are much superior to Chan's too, and his footwork is comparable. And even he doesnt win events with 4 falls.

kosjenka
11-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Chan does not give himself the marks.
So stop being personal.

Polymer Bob
11-28-2010, 03:11 AM
The impression I have been getting with Patrick and Kiira is that the judges are trying to send skaters and fans a clear message. They are telling us that podiums will not be decided by counting clean jumps. All that stuff that happens BETWEEN the jumps is also important.
Whether this is a temporary phase or not, I don't know.

let`s talk
11-28-2010, 08:53 AM
When you can't attack the facts, you attack the poster.
You don't have a monopoly on that.
DL::wall:

let`s talk
11-28-2010, 08:55 AM
With TAT Mao at least could win something. Look at her now:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFCbkamJYS4

judgejudy27
11-28-2010, 09:38 AM
The Mao that skated at the Olympics and Worlds was phenomenal. Other than an in form Kim that was nothing that could have stopped her, and there is no version of Mao that has yet existed that could have stopped the Yu Na Kim of Vancouver. And while Mao has very strong basic skating she was never the best. The best was always Kostner probably followed by Kim, until Lepisto emerged.

VarBar
11-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Chan would be brilliant and unbeatable with clean performances. If I had to compare him with Verner, Verner's skating so lacks substance.

Patrick was overscored at Skate Canada though.

kosjenka
11-28-2010, 04:10 PM
The impression I have been getting with Patrick and Kiira is that the judges are trying to send skaters and fans a clear message. They are telling us that podiums will not be decided by counting clean jumps. All that stuff that happens BETWEEN the jumps is also important.
I am not by any means jump-zilla, on the contrary - I want the full package to be on the top of the throne. Because - that is the balance of physical part and artistic part of this sport and THAT is what makes is so amazing.

Telling skaters & fans that it is what happens between the jumps what matters more and is the deciding factor is offensive when such skaters has 2-3 falls in a "winning" performance.

If you fall 2-3 times in a program, weather it happens on jumps alone or on other various elements: footwork, spin, transitional move - it says you are not capable of performing the program and that the is beyond your abilities. Especially when a skater makes it a track record, 2-3 competitions in a row and yet still receives high marks for "Performance" etc.

This is nothing personal about Chan. Yes, he is know to be arrogant (in my opinion), i think fans would like all skaters to be critical of the system and themselves. Not just those who dont make it on the podium.