PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hersh's latest blog 11/19/10

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

kwanette
11-19-2010, 08:00 PM
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2010/11/im-weary-of-dreary-skating.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I hope that I posted this in the right place.

He's not taking prisoners.

manleywoman
11-19-2010, 08:04 PM
And quoting FSU, no less.

The headlines for three Skate America threads in a forum on the web site Figure Skating Universe seem snarky but they pretty much sum up the season:

*``Undaunted Splattage'' was the characterization of the men's free skate.

*``Step By Step, Splat To Splat, They All Fall Down'' was the view of the women's free skate.

*``When the prog(ram) bites, when the splats sing'' was the amalgam of the women's short program.

skatingfan5
11-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Phil couldn't even be bothered to attend Skate America (citing hard times for the media), so he had to write about what he saw on TV -- and quote FSU's snarky thread titles as apt descriptions of the performances (he neglected to point out that these were written BEFORE any skating ensued in the various events). Unfortunately, the snark turned out to be all too descriptive. Anyway, I suppose Sharpie is glad to know that FSU is providing a valuable service to cash-strapped journalists. :rolleyes:

julieann
11-19-2010, 08:17 PM
As for pairs: who cares?

The U.S. teams are painfully out of their league as usual, and the addition of brilliant Chinese teams over the past decade still hasn't made up for the loss of Russian pairs' brilliance, a demise that began when the Soviet Union crumbled in 1991. (Who would have ever thought the top Russian pair would need an emigree from Japan?)

German pair Aliona Savchenko, determined to end her reputation as a sourpuss, and partner Robin Szolkowy, are flat-out brilliant skaters, as reflected by two world titles, but their over-the-top style still lacks subtlety. (Pink Panther free skate? How hokey can you get. They have too much talent and experience for such shlock.)

Ouch!

kwanette
11-19-2010, 08:32 PM
And an asterisk for Davis and White? That's insulting.

smarts1
11-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Now that I know Phil Hersh reads FSU... SHUT THE F*** UP. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY DON'T SAY YOUR IDIOTCY AT ALL, PHIL.

You know why your dumb predictions in 2006 were wrong? It's because you're an imbecile, who apparently knows absolutely zip about figure skating (so what if you've followed the sport for 25 years? You've apparently learned nothing). I don't even know why you get published with your lack of ability to write.

Wyliefan
11-19-2010, 08:55 PM
And quoting FSU, no less.

:lol: We're famous!

skatemommy
11-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Hey Phil, Icenetwork.com subscription is $30.00 for the year. Maybe your "cash-strapped" paper can spring for you so actually CAN watch an event you trying to cover :rolleyes:

Wyliefan
11-19-2010, 08:56 PM

An asterisk? Uh, Phil, that's not how it works. :rolleyes:

shan
11-19-2010, 09:43 PM

I don't like the asterisk idea or even that its a foregone conclusion that they will win. I want them to win, I just don't want them to be jinxed!! (Even though I'm not sure if I believe in jinxes.) :D

Frau Muller
11-19-2010, 10:17 PM
BRAVO to Phil Hersch for telling it like it is. Lots of true-isms here, such as:

The best thing one can say Abbott so far this season is he has been competent.

Who would have ever thought the top Russian pair would need an emigree from Japan?

And this one is most enlightening:

[It's] worth noting that the top two women's total scores this season belong to Russians in the Junior Grand Prix, where the free skate has one fewer scoring element than in the senior Grand Prix.

The "asterisk" comment on Meryl and Charlie is catty but the truth is that they will suffer the thoughts that skating fans all over the world had in 1979 about Tai & Randy's World win with Rodnina/Zaitsev out for the season: What if THEY would have been there, would Tai & Randy have had a prayer to win? Probably not, especially in the old subjective scoring system.

Indra486
11-19-2010, 10:18 PM

I thought asterisks were reserved for athletes on HGH. :o

It is insulting. Competitors can't help what happens to their rivals; injuries, meltdowns, whatever. It's like the age debate back in Torino. The competition is with everyone who shows up. Even if someone's main rivals didn't show up, it doesn't always mean winning is suddenly a cakewalk.

ETA: Well at least everyone was equally dragged behind the wagon?

dinakt
11-19-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't think Savchenko/ Szolkowy's style can be called "over- the- top". "Out of Africa?", "Schindler's List?" Hardly not subtle. They can do different styles. So, they are having fun this year. Good for them.

PDilemma
11-19-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm sure that the newspaper's budget for sportswriters to travel is not in Hersch's control. I have a friend who works for the sports department of a newspaper. There is no budget for travel outside of their own direct coverage of the local D-1 university's sports. And when it comes to minor sports for them (i.e. not football, men's b-ball or volleyball) there is no travel budget at all.

I don't always like or agree Hersch, but it is silly to blame him if the Tribune won't fly him to Portland and even sillier to expect him to foot the bill himself and miss work. He has other responsibilities for his job.

kwanette
11-19-2010, 10:28 PM
BRAVO to Phil Hersch for telling it like it is. Lots of true-isms here, such as:

The best thing one can say Abbott so far this season is he has been competent.

Who would have ever thought the top Russian pair would need an emigree from Japan?

And this one is most enlightening:

[It's] worth noting that the top two women's total scores this season belong to Russians in the Junior Grand Prix, where the free skate has one fewer scoring element than in the senior Grand Prix.

The "asterisk" comment on Meryl and Charlie is catty but the truth is that they will suffer the thoughts that skating fans all over the world had in 1979 about Tai & Randy's World win with Rodnina/Zaitsev out for the season: What if THEY would have been there, would Tai & Randy have had a prayer to win? Probably not, especially in the old subjective scoring system.

Re: Charlie and Meryl, does that mean that any winner in the past whose main rival was absent gets an asterisk? We should make a list..it would be a long one.