PDA

View Full Version : Homeless Tempe man turns in backpack with $3,300

Gypsy
11-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Homeless Tempe man turns in backpack with $3,300
(http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/tempe/homeless-man-turns-in-backpack-with-$3300)

Wyliefan
11-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Wow. What an amazing guy.

Buzz
11-19-2010, 02:59 PM
That is a wonderful thing to do. Glad things turned out alright for both men.

Nan
11-19-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't understand having this much cash with you for any reason, but if you do...why in heaven's name would you let go of what it's in for even a second?? :confused:

Huge props to the gentleman who saw it get back to it's owner.

skatesindreams
11-19-2010, 05:22 PM
I don't understand having this much cash with you for any reason, but if you do...why in heaven's name would you let go of what it's in for even a second?? :confused:

Indeed!

Belanger had the money in his backpack because he planned to use it to buy a car.

Vash01
11-19-2010, 07:15 PM

A few days earlier the tire on Bryan's car blew up while he was driving on the highway. His car was totaled in the crash. He needed a car. He found one on Craig's list. The insurance company compensated him with the $3300 which he placed in his backpack. Many students don't carry a wallet/purse; they keep everything in the backpack. I believe that's what happened in this case. He forgot about the backpack/money while he was talking on his cell phone while waiting for the train. The backpack was sitting right next to him, but he had a bike in one hand and he forgot.I am sure Bryan Belanger learned a lesson on how to take care of his cash.

What was most impressive about the story was the man who returned the money in full was a former drug addict and a homeless man who was in need of money to get his bike repaired. He did not give in to temptation, and returned the money to its owner. I believe he put a lot of effort into locating the owner when he could not find an obvious identification like a wallet/drivers license, etc. in the backpack.

The article appeared here (Phoenix) Wed. and there were many posts about it, asking similar questions. The student's mother posted there, identifying herself and explaining the circumstances. She wrote that her son is in the process of getting a group of students together to do volunteer work at the homeless shelter where Dave Talley lives.

Both men appeared on TV same night during a local news brief.

In any case this was a heartwarming story. The former drug addict has made big strides and is fit to live in the society now.

I was so touched by the story, that I made a speech out of it and gave it in my Toastmasters club last night.

Vash01
11-19-2010, 07:20 PM
That is a wonderful thing to do. Glad things turned out alright for both men.

One good deed leads to more good deeds. The student gave the homeless man a small reward and as further compensation he is going to volunteer his time at the homeless shelter.

Someone who read the story called the shelter and offered to buy the homeless man a new bike (his bike needed repairs) but he declined the offer.

Nan
11-19-2010, 10:23 PM
A few days earlier the tire on Bryan's car blew up while he was driving on the highway. His car was totaled in the crash. He needed a car. He found one on Craig's list. The insurance company compensated him with the $3300 which he placed in his backpack.

This is one of the things I think is odd. I don't know of any insurance company that pays claims in cash.

Many students don't carry a wallet/purse; they keep everything in the backpack. I believe that's what happened in this case. He forgot about the backpack/money while he was talking on his cell phone while waiting for the train. The backpack was sitting right next to him, but he had a bike in one hand and he forgot.I am sure Bryan Belanger learned a lesson on how to take care of his cash.

Once you have the cash, I get the use of the backpack, but what I don't understand is the "forgetting." I wouldn't have taken my hand off it.

It's just good he got it back.

Bonita
11-20-2010, 12:26 AM
ITA re: why was it paid in cash? My only thought is that maybe the guy didn't have a checking account? But I still find it weird - they could have given him a money order.

Vash01
11-21-2010, 04:29 AM
That's one part of the detail I did not see anywhere. One possibility may be that they gave him a check and he cashed it, so that he could pay for the car in cash. Usually for a Craig's list people ask for cash (at least I do). However, that is my guess, and not a fact.

BigB08822
11-21-2010, 04:52 AM
The cash does seem a bit fishy. He most certainly did NOT receive payment from his insurance in cash. He would have gotten a check and had to have cashed it himself. Many Craigslist ads do request cash but for something that big I would have definitely insisted on bringing a money order instead of cash. Oh well, still a nice story.

Vash01
11-21-2010, 06:04 AM
When I sell on Craig's list, I always insist on cash, no matter what the amount. When I sold my car, I got paid in cash. I would not have accepted a M.O. or even a cashiers check. Fraud is possible even with M.O. or Cashiers check. In any case it's up to the seller what kind of payments he/she wants.

Gypsy
11-23-2010, 02:57 PM
When I sell on Craig's list, I always insist on cash, no matter what the amount. When I sold my car, I got paid in cash. I would not have accepted a M.O. or even a cashiers check. Fraud is possible even with M.O. or Cashiers check. In any case it's up to the seller what kind of payments he/she wants.

I personally know someone who accepted a cashiers check and it was forged.

As for money orders, those are easy to forge as well.

julieann
11-23-2010, 06:02 PM
The cash does seem a bit fishy. He most certainly did NOT receive payment from his insurance in cash. He would have gotten a check and had to have cashed it himself. Many Craigslist ads do request cash but for something that big I would have definitely insisted on bringing a money order instead of cash. Oh well, still a nice story.

He was going to buy another car, most people on Craig's List DO NOT take a check/MO.

He his still young and hasn't learned all of lifes valuable lessons yet.

I saw them both on the news in Phoenix and was very impressed. I wish there were more people like that in the world :)