PDA

View Full Version : Which foreign skaters do Russian fans like?

Pages : [1] 2 3

olympic
11-18-2010, 07:41 PM
The Japanese thread made me think about Russian fans. Is there a certain type of skater that Russian fans like? Any particular skater? Any particular style? Is it perhaps regional [other Eastern European skaters]?

Autumn_girl
11-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Well, I can't say for all Russian fans, but I like many foreign skaters.
Ladies: Mao and Yu-Na of course for their elegance and easy-looking jumps
Men: Joubert for his powerful, athletic skating, and Takahashi, he is an amazing performer
Ice dance: I prefer European teams like Pechalat/Bourzat and the Kerrs, but I also like Virtue/Moir
Pairs: only S/S and Russian teams, don't really like Chinese teams

Margaret
11-18-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm not Russian but I think Russians like balletic and/or artistic skaters. Think Tarasova's programs for non-Russian skaters like Mao or Johnny (please, let's not turn this into another Johnny-bashing thread). Russian broadcasters go absolutely crazy about Lambiel. But at the same time they seem to appreciate Joubert kind of atheticism as well.

Squibble
11-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Yuka Kawaguchi, Jérôme Blanchard, Tatiana Volosozhar, Ksenia Makarova, and Jonathan Guerreiro

:EVILLE:

pani
11-18-2010, 08:28 PM
I think in Russia every skater could find fans :D
I think the bigest fan community have Stefhan Lambiel :)
Johny have a big fan-club in Russia - russians Johny Angels
Joubert, Takahashi - are very popular too.
Mao is very popular in Russia (maybe more popular, then Yu-Na)
Faella-Scalli, Kerrs have big support too. A lot off russians fans like french skaters.
One skater, who didnt have a lot off supporters in Russia - Patrick Chan

olympic
11-18-2010, 08:40 PM
One skater, who didnt have a lot off supporters in Russia - Patrick Chan

That is interesting

sus2850
11-18-2010, 11:00 PM
I think Chan not being that popular might have to do with exposure: he's not been to cup of russia, and cannot be seen skating that often in Europe (TEB 2008 + worlds 2010 were the last 2 times if I remember correctly), no gala appearances.

I actually wonder how well Ksenia is liked - as she is not training in Russia, is this a disadvantage?

museksk8r
11-18-2010, 11:26 PM
I think Chan not being that popular might have to do with exposure: he's not been to cup of russia, and cannot be seen skating that often in Europe (TEB 2008 + worlds 2010 were the last 2 times if I remember correctly), no gala appearances.

Patrick was at 2008 Worlds in Gothenburg, Sweden where he finished 9th. He also competed at the 2007 TEB, which he won. Chan's supposed lack of exposure has nothing to do with the dislike of his skating; the constant over-scoring with his very flawed programs does, granted he can't help the scores he receives from the judging panel.

moebius
11-19-2010, 01:57 AM
What is the Russian's attitude toward Evan Lysacek, B/A, D/W, VM, I/B?

Eris
11-19-2010, 10:07 AM
As a Russian I can say that my most favourite skaters are from France and the USA: Pechalat/Bourzat and Nagasu. I do like lots of Japanese and American skaters, S/S in pairs. But I'm strange: the're very few Russian skaters I love :)

Fashionista
11-19-2010, 10:45 AM
What is the Russian's attitude toward Evan Lysacek, B/A, D/W, VM, I/B?

Lysacek is definitely less hated in Russia than here on FSU. There's no any attitude towards him actually, he looks like non-existent in Russian fans' eyes. He's neither loved, nor hated and his victory over Plushenko in Vancouver didn't change things much.
Russians mostly love V/M but usually dislike D/W thinking with their skating style they are killing ice dance.

Yes, definitely, Russians mostly love balletic and dramatic skaters (that's why Chinese pairs were never popular in Russia, even S/Z).

let`s talk
11-19-2010, 01:00 PM
That is interesting

Why?

let`s talk
11-19-2010, 01:02 PM
As a Russian I can say that my most favourite skaters are from France and the USA
As a Russian woman I can say that Italians, men especially, are loved. Margaglio was adored every time when he came to St-Petersburg.

let`s talk
11-19-2010, 01:03 PM
he looks like non-existent in Russian fans' eyes.
True. :lol::lol::lol:

attyfan
11-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Just curious ... is Johnny Weir popular in Russia?