PDA

View Full Version : How to clean really bad water stains on porcelin?

BaileyCatts
11-17-2010, 10:47 PM
I've been away from my house for most of the past few months. I stopped in today to check on the house, and always like flush/clean the toilets, run the water, etc., when I stop in. But I've now noticed that there are really tough water stains in the toilet bowls (even though they have not been used, and I do clean them with cleaner when I stop to check on the house and flush to get the water running). And no matter how I scrub and scrub with brushes and cleaner, the water stains are not coming up! :eek: Is it because the water is just sitting in the bowls for maybe 3-4 weeks at a time w/o getting flushed thru? I've tried many different toilet bowl cleaners and its not helping. :( What's the problem and how do I get those water marks out of the porcelin bowls?

Prancer
11-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Are they hard water stains? We have that problem here. I finally had to resort to the Queen of Clean's method:

Remove hard-water rings from toilets by shutting the water off at the tank and flushing the toilet to remove as much water as possible. Spray the toilet bowl with heated white vinegar and then sprinkle on borax. Use a piece of fine drywall sandpaper to remove the ring. Turn the water back on and flush for a sparkling toilet bowl.

http://queenofclean.com/free-stuff/five-must-have-cleaning-product/

Not fun. But it works.

Aceon6
11-17-2010, 11:52 PM
This. And when they're clean, put in a toilet gel or get the kind you stamp on the side of the bowl. A squirt of gel will keep the rings from forming again.

Susan1
11-18-2010, 12:44 AM
Are they hard water stains? We have that problem here. I finally had to resort to the Queen of Clean's method:

Remove hard-water rings from toilets by shutting the water off at the tank and flushing the toilet to remove as much water as possible. Spray the toilet bowl with heated white vinegar and then sprinkle on borax. Use a piece of fine drywall sandpaper to remove the ring. Turn the water back on and flush for a sparkling toilet bowl.

http://queenofclean.com/free-stuff/five-must-have-cleaning-product/

Not fun. But it works.

You can also use a pumice stone. I bought one in the foot care department of the drug store. It lasts a long time and doesn't leave scratches on the bowl. And, yeah, NOT FUN!!!!!!

BaileyCatts
11-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Oh yucky-yuck!! Sounds like fun. Thanks for the info because I think at this point, this is what I am going to have to try. Guess I know how I will be spending my weekend. :wuzrobbed

Capella
11-19-2010, 01:42 PM
They have pumice stones on long sticks specifically for toilet cleaning. Works very well, and you don't have to have your hand in the bowl.

That punched/stick on gel didn't work in my water-saving, low-flush toilet. Not enough power in the water refill to activate it, so I was stuck with a hard lump of dried gel glued to the side of my toilet bowl. And the chemical smell was really strong from it. Defintely would not advise that stuff.

GarrAarghHrumph
11-19-2010, 02:44 PM
I've been away from my house for most of the past few months. I stopped in today to check on the house, and always like flush/clean the toilets, run the water, etc., when I stop in. But I've now noticed that there are really tough water stains in the toilet bowls (even though they have not been used, and I do clean them with cleaner when I stop to check on the house and flush to get the water running). And no matter how I scrub and scrub with brushes and cleaner, the water stains are not coming up! :eek: Is it because the water is just sitting in the bowls for maybe 3-4 weeks at a time w/o getting flushed thru? I've tried many different toilet bowl cleaners and its not helping. :( What's the problem and how do I get those water marks out of the porcelin bowls?

Is this house going to continue to remain unused? If so, then you could consider "shutting down" the house, as you would a seasonal house. If it's winter where you live, you'd winterize your plumbing - shut off the water at the main, empty the pipes, maybe blow them out with a compressor, and put RV antifreeze in all the traps. A plumber could do this for you, if you'd like.

Susan1
11-19-2010, 10:14 PM
They have pumice stones on long sticks specifically for toilet cleaning. Works very well, and you don't have to have your hand in the bowl.

That punched/stick on gel didn't work in my water-saving, low-flush toilet. Not enough power in the water refill to activate it, so I was stuck with a hard lump of dried gel glued to the side of my toilet bowl. And the chemical smell was really strong from it. Defintely would not advise that stuff.

Great advice! I think I will go out and get a "pumice on a stick!" tomorrow. My hard water stains just build right back up. I don't really want to deep clean it every week.

And are you talking about the Scrubbing Bubbles gel thing to stick on the toilet. It's a regular flush toilet (don't have trouble with the one in the master bathroom that has a water saving low flush thing in it). But I can't tolerate chemical smells at all. Thanks.

Prancer
11-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Great advice! I think I will go out and get a "pumice on a stick!" tomorrow. My hard water stains just build right back up. I don't really want to deep clean it every week.

Yup. I don't think it's a coincidence that you, BaileyCatts and I all live in the same general area. The water here is so hard. Even with a water softener, our water still tests hard. My stainless steel kitchen sink is worse than the toilets :yikes:.

Susan1
11-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Yup. I don't think it's a coincidence that you, BaileyCatts and I all live in the same general area. The water here is so hard. Even with a water softener, our water still tests hard. My stainless steel kitchen sink is worse than the toilets :yikes:.

Miamisburg is the worst. I didn't have near this problem when I lived in Miami Township (Montgomery County water). Everything that water touches is "white" all the time - the toothbrush holder, the cup. How do you wash hard water stains off something you drink out of? With water????? I clean all the rest with Lysol or Clorox wipes, but not where my lips are going to touch!

The kitchen sink drives me nuts too. I've used the stainless steel sink cleaner, but guess what - you have to rinse it out - with what???? I'm not going to dry out the whole sink every time I run water for a glass to take my vitamins in the morning.

I don't want the hassle or the bad tasting water of a water softener. There's no room for it in the utility closet anyway.

Not asking for advice, just sharing............

Sassafras
11-25-2010, 12:16 AM
You can also use a pumice stone. I bought one in the foot care department of the drug store. It lasts a long time and doesn't leave scratches on the bowl. And, yeah, NOT FUN!!!!!!

Bought one today at Hone Depot - works great! :respec:

Capella
11-25-2010, 12:18 AM
Wow. I'm so proud of my little Heloise moment. I must call my mom and tell her she was right AND the word is spreading!