PDA

View Full Version : Which foreign skaters do Japanese fans like?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

ks777
11-20-2010, 09:55 PM
BTW, why Elene Gedevanishvili? and who else?

why? you haven't seen the size of her boobs?

http://valendia.org/skate/elene-gedevanishvili.jpg

krenseby
11-21-2010, 04:49 AM
why? you haven't seen the size of her boobs?

http://valendia.org/skate/elene-gedevanishvili.jpg

But what about her skating? Isn't that good too?

burntBREAD
11-21-2010, 04:49 AM
But what about her skating? Isn't that good too?

I mean, her skating is affected BY her boobs, she pitched forwards on almost every landing! It's a miracle she can land the jumps she does, and she's already lost her flip and loop!

galaxy
11-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Random thoughts that popped into my head:

Anissina/Peizerat were extremely popular, so were Denkova/Staviski.
At present D/W and V/M are quite popular, also the Kerrs are very popular. Pechalat/Bourzat are popular, too.
At NHK we were warmed up to Shibutanis. When I/K were introduced during warm-up, there was big response from the crowd. Apparently the audience knew who I/K were. We were impressed by their edges and how close to each other they skated. Too bad their FD was messy, but I think they have a potential to become a star in Japan. They already had a star aura around them.

NMURA
11-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Belbin/Agosto and Virtue/Moir are two most popular couples. Female partners' looks are the main reasons, I guess.

I/K can be the most popular ice dancers in future. They have made good impressions at JGPF in Tokyo, and the female partner is "pretty".

Davis/White is unpopular among old ice dancing fans though, casual fans will favor their athleticism.

Kerrs are popular because of their frequent visits and unique techniques.

Shubutanis will be popular. Their Japanese origins will definitely help.

galaxy
11-22-2010, 12:21 PM
IShubutanis will be popular. Their Japanese origins will definitely help.

Not everytime. I/K got more response when their name was called at NHK than Reeds.:D

About Bel/Ago, they were really popular around time of Torino Olys, but I'm not so sure about them recently seeing the response from the audience.

Doubletoe
11-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Entire post

:respec: 英語も言ってることもピッタリ! Please post more often! :)

lowtherlore
11-23-2010, 02:18 AM
More on Yu-Na and Japan.

We have some conflicting accounts in this thread. It seems NOMURA and allezfred want to say that she is only a minor sports figure in Japan, whereas a post by work suspended says she’s widely exposed to Japanese viewers and that a reliable poll once ranked Yu-Na only after Ichiro Suzuki, Mao Asada and Ishikawa Ryo as the forth most popular (or recognizable) sports star for the Japanese people.

No doubt Yu-Na is one of the most recognizable celebrities, foreign or domestic, in Japan. One that knows Mao (virtually every Japanese) also knows Yu-Na, and figure skating is not a minor sport there. Remember the pandemonium created in Japan after Mao’s shocking and complete defeat in 2006 JWC? At the time, the attention of the entire nation was drawn to the live-telecasted event in Slovenia, with the image of Arakawa’s win a month earlier still lingering, and with great expectations that the event would be a mere formality in declaring that Japan would repeat the victory in Vancouver with somebody even bigger in their minds than Ito or Arakawa. No Japanese had even imagined other outcome. That’s how Yu-Na first entered into the psyche of the vast majority of the Japanese people.

Being recognizable doesn’t necessarily mean being liked. However, loved or not, Yu-Na is certainly big enough in Japan to have significant marketing power had she chosen to skate in the ice shows in Japan. Money from such appearances would be a far cry from whatever she would make from staging her own shows, but it still would have made sense for her from a PR standpoint. And Japan is only one hour from Korea where she spends a good part of the off-season.

Here’s a quiz: Why Yu-Na has not made any ice show appearance in Japan since 2007. I think it’s unlikely that she would visit Japan in the future either, unless it’s necessary (for competing).

galaxy
11-23-2010, 04:46 AM
More on Yu-Na and Japan.

We have some conflicting accounts in this thread. It seems NOMURA and allezfred want to say that she is only a minor sports figure in Japan, whereas a post by work suspended says she’s widely exposed to Japanese viewers and that a reliable poll once ranked Yu-Na only after Ichiro Suzuki, Mao Asada and Ishikawa Ryo as the forth most popular (or recognizable) sports star for the Japanese people.

No doubt Yu-Na is one of the most recognizable celebrities, foreign or domestic, in Japan. One that knows Mao (virtually every Japanese) also knows Yu-Na, and figure skating is not a minor sport there. Remember the pandemonium created in Japan after Mao’s shocking and complete defeat in 2006 JWC? At the time, the attention of the entire nation was drawn to the live-telecasted event in Slovenia, with the image of Arakawa’s win a month earlier still lingering, and with great expectations that the event would be a mere formality in declaring that Japan would repeat the victory in Vancouver with somebody even bigger in their minds than Ito or Arakawa. No Japanese had even imagined other outcome. That’s how Yu-Na first entered into the psyche of the vast majority of the Japanese people.

Being recognizable doesn’t necessarily mean being liked. However, loved or not, Yu-Na is certainly big enough in Japan to have significant marketing power had she chosen to skate in the ice shows in Japan. Money from such appearances would be a far cry from whatever she would make from staging her own shows, but it still would have made sense for her from a PR standpoint. And Japan is only one hour from Korea where she spends a good part of the off-season.

Here’s a quiz: Why Yu-Na has not made any ice show appearance in Japan since 2007. I think it’s unlikely that she would visit Japan in the future either, unless it’s necessary (for competing).

You are right. Being recognized and being liked are a little different. And maybe such an attitude of some of Yuna fans keeps us from liking her. Yune is the best in the world, the greatest in history, far better than anybody else, the most beautiful in the world. She is such a sweet preson like an angel, like a goddess, like a saint. ( how can a person at the age of 19 or 20 be so perfect? I can't believe their theory. )Yuna is a flawless person, this world doesn't deserve her. Everyone should lover her!, everyone should bow to her! , everyone should admire her! Why can't you!? Love her! Admire her! She is the Queen!
We are really tired of it.

About the poll by Hakuhodo which worksuspended showed, it was made right after the Olympic, so that was the time Yuna had most exposure on Japanese media and to Japanese public along with the name of Mao. And that was long ago. You know, Japanese have a tendency to easily and quickly get excited and then easily cool down and quickly forget things. If that poll was made now, the result would be different. And that poll was made for their clients. It was not about figure skating fans.
I know Yuna has fans in Japan, but I can't imagine she has more fans than Daisuke who has tons of ultra-super passionate fans:D in arenas here.

attyfan
11-23-2010, 05:05 AM
Anyone know if Japanese fans like (or, at least liked) Petrova and Tikhnov? (didn't he once skated for Japan?)

lowtherlore
11-23-2010, 05:40 AM
entire post

Get a grip plz. You completely fail to make any point here. I can’t see how your reaction is relevant to anything I wrote. If it was anything in my post that induced such furious response from you, let me ask you this: Can't you see there's not even a single qualitative statement on Yu-Na in my post? :rolleyes:

Everyone knows that even Jordan or Messi cannot always top such popularity poll. And work suspended and I specifically mentioned that it was a poll conducted at a certain point of time.

If you please, do not distort or exaggerate what others say in making a reply. It’s such a lowdown way to respond.

ks777
11-23-2010, 05:49 AM
You are right. Being recognized and being liked are a little different. And maybe such an attitude of some of Yuna fans keeps us from liking her. Yune is the best in the world, the greatest in history, far better than anybody else, the most beautiful in the world. She is such a sweet preson like an angel, like a goddess, like a saint. ( how can a person at the age of 19 or 20 be so perfect? I can't believe their theory. )Yuna is a flawless person, this world doesn't deserve her. Everyone should lover her!, everyone should bow to her! , everyone should admire her! Why can't you!? Love her! Admire her! She is the Queen!
We are really tired of it.

About the poll by Hakuhodo which worksuspended showed, it was made right after the Olympic, so that was the time Yuna had most exposure on Japanese media and to Japanese public along with the name of Mao. And that was long ago. You know, Japanese have a tendency to easily and quickly get excited and then easily cool down and quickly forget things. If that poll was made now, the result would be different. And that poll was made for their clients. It was not about figure skating fans.
I know Yuna has fans in Japan, but I can't imagine she has more fans than Daisuke who has tons of ultra-super passionate fans:D in arenas here.

ITA!

ChibiChibi
11-23-2010, 05:56 AM
I thought this thread was about foreign skaters that Japanese fans LIKE. Why keep talking about how much Yuna is disliked in Japan? :rolleyes: I don't get it. :confused:

oleada
11-23-2010, 05:58 AM
Get a grip plz.

Oh, the irony.

midori
11-23-2010, 06:39 AM
My view is just like what work suspended said. Only my father did not show any interests in figure skating :)

But I believe the predominant perception of Yu-Na among the general Japanese public is rather negative.

You are not believing everything what you read on internet, right?

There are some group of people who bash anything about certain countries, and they are VERY loud on the net, posting same nasty comments over and over and over. Compared to them, FSU venom is nothing ;)

Perhaps they are 1000 times louder than other non-political mass, but you would not call it "predominant perception" unless you are naive enough to listen to them.