PDA

View Full Version : Which foreign skaters do Japanese fans like?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

ks777
11-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Shen and Zhao are very popular too. I don't think Yuna is unpopular.. she had a commercial deal in Japan.. why would a japanese company use Yuna if she wasn't popular there?? Just so you know, it's not true that Yuna Kim isn't well liked just because she is Korean.. When I went back to Japan this summer, my sister in law and her friends were crazy about watching some Korean TV shows. I guess Korean shows are big in Japan right now. The korean soap shows wouldn't be big in Japan if Japanese hated koreans so much, I think.

AliasJohnDoe
11-18-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm not really sure I'm reading from the Japanese fans about who "they" like. I'm reading more about "foreigners" telling us who the Japanese fans should like. Can Japanese fans put "From Native Japan" at the beginning of their post, because I see non-Japanese natives telling us who the Japanese like.

PS: The same goes for the Russian thread on who Russian natives like.

allezfred
11-18-2010, 11:24 PM
I've found some internet polls on "favorite figure skaters". They are very unreliable, of course.

Unreliable? You don't say. :eek:

As expected, Yuna Kim is unpopular (she could have more votes considering the Korean population in Japan).

Yuka Sato has even fewer. Surprising considering the Japanese population of Japan. :P

I'm not really sure I'm reading from the Japanese fans about who "they" like. I'm reading more about "foreigners" telling us who the Japanese fans should like. Can Japanese fans put "From Native Japan" at the beginning of their post, because I see non-Japanese natives telling us who the Japanese like.

Yes, anybody who wants to post in this thread should submit a scan of their passport to prove they are Japanese.

My mother-in-law is Japanese. She lives in Japan. She likes Yu-na Kim. Is that good enough for you? :P

KonradT
11-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Janet Lynn...not only among figure skating fans, but most of Japanese remember her so well, especially old fans like me

AliasJohnDoe
11-19-2010, 12:11 AM
My mother-in-law is Japanese. She lives in Japan. She likes Yu-na Kim. Is that good enough for you? :P

Yes...that helps. Thank You!!;)

lowtherlore
11-19-2010, 05:53 AM
I’m sure there are many Yu-Na fans in Japan. But I believe the predominant perception of Yu-Na among the general Japanese public is rather negative. The perception of Yu-Na as a person and as a skater shared by the majority of Japanese public seems radically different from, in some aspects virtually opposite to, the one generally shared by the Yu-Na fans elsewhere. For example, the general perception among the Japanese public seems to be of that she is arrogant and cocky; for her fans and colleagues she is humble and grounded.

Cultural differences or rivalries alone cannot fully explain such gap. And this rather negative perception translates into unfavorable sentiments toward her among the Japanese public. Anybody can find a particular skater not to his liking for any reason, but in Yu-Na’s case IMO Japanese media also had contributed big in forming an unfavorable image of Yu-Na among the Japanese public. Some of the biased coverage by the Japanese media on Yu-Na includes:

- After Yu-Na’s win at 2006 JWC, the Japanese media generally depicted her as a sullen, bitter character who had been obsessed with the single goal of beating Mao who was promoted by them as a happy, bright and innocent prodigy.

- After 2007 WC, the Japanese media portrayed Yu-Na as a skater who relied on expression skills to be competitive. In similar context, many Japanese didn’t like some choreographic moves in her Bond program, thinking that she employed the sex appeal to influence the judges and the crowds (while Mao the innocent was doing pure skating).

- The level of negative sentiments toward Yu-Na reached a new height after 2009 4CC when she mentioned during an interview with a Korean media that some group of skaters impeded her warm-ups “to an unnecessary and unusual degree.” The Japanese public was upset by the comment and a Japanese TV show had a guest releasing his anger and clubbing at the portrait of Yu-Na. Whether such impeding actually happened was not important.

- Since the 2008-9 season and leading up to the Olympics, the Japanese media repeatedly mentioned that Yu-Na played it safe by sticking to the same technical contents and that she had been intensively supported by the Korean federation, which was a huge misconception. That led the ill-informed public to believe that she had been frequently held up in judges’ scorecard due to such federation-level support and lobbying.

allezfred
11-19-2010, 10:54 AM
I think your main problem is that the vast majority of Japanese people aren't arsed about Yu-na one way or the other. :lol:

vodkashot
11-19-2010, 10:59 AM
I’m sure there are many Yu-Na fans in Japan. But I believe the predominant perception of Yu-Na among the general Japanese public is rather negative. The perception of Yu-Na as a person and as a skater shared by the majority of Japanese public seems radically different from, in some aspects virtually opposite to, the one generally shared by the Yu-Na fans elsewhere. For example, the general perception among the Japanese public seems to be of that she is arrogant and cocky; for her fans and colleagues she is humble and grounded.

Cultural differences or rivalries alone cannot fully explain such gap. And this rather negative perception translates into unfavorable sentiments toward her among the Japanese public. Anybody can find a particular skater not to his liking for any reason, but in Yu-Na’s case IMO Japanese media also had contributed big in forming an unfavorable image of Yu-Na among the Japanese public. Some of the biased coverage by the Japanese media on Yu-Na includes:

- After Yu-Na’s win at 2006 JWC, the Japanese media generally depicted her as a sullen, bitter character who had been obsessed with the single goal of beating Mao who was promoted by them as a happy, bright and innocent prodigy.

- After 2007 WC, the Japanese media portrayed Yu-Na as a skater who relied on expression skills to be competitive. In similar context, many Japanese didn’t like some choreographic moves in her Bond program, thinking that she employed the sex appeal to influence the judges and the crowds (while Mao the innocent was doing pure skating).

- The level of negative sentiments toward Yu-Na reached a new height after 2009 4CC when she mentioned during an interview with a Korean media that some group of skaters impeded her warm-ups “to an unnecessary and unusual degree.” The Japanese public was upset by the comment and a Japanese TV show had a guest releasing his anger and clubbing at the portrait of Yu-Na. Whether such impeding actually happened was not important.

- Since the 2008-9 season and leading up to the Olympics, the Japanese media repeatedly mentioned that Yu-Na played it safe by sticking to the same technical contents and that she had been intensively supported by the Korean federation, which was a huge misconception. That led the ill-informed public to believe that she had been frequently held up in judges’ scorecard due to such federation-level support and lobbying.

Words, words, words.....

You know, you might actually be somewhat plausible if you show some proof (like an article or two...) of all this relentless unfavourable media-image coverage of Yu-Na...

And bringing up the warm-up *controversy* as a reason why the Japanese media has been conspiring to cultivate a less-than-favourable image to Yu-Na is pretty strange on your part. If I'm not mistaken...SBS--with dubiously edited videos--more or less accused Japanese skaters of obstructing Yu-Na. How else do you think the Japanese would react at such an accusation? With flowers and candy? :rolleyes:

let`s talk
11-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Plushenko has been on Japanese TV more than anybody else recently. He is definitely the most popular. :encore:

work suspended
11-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi, I'm Japanese, and a newbie here. My English is not good, so I usually don't leave any comments, but here I think I could contribute a little.

I'd like to start with a sample case, my family.
I live alone, but my parents and my brother live close by, so I sometimes watch the figure skating competition with them (they have a TV with large screen). My father is a long-time Yu-na fan. He usually doesn't watch figure skating, but when Yu-na appears on TV, he shows up from nowhere and watches her performance with us. He "kindly" explains to the rest of the family how great she is, then once Yu-na finishes skating, he leaves the room. He usually doesn't watch other skaters, let alone any male skaters. My mother is a long-time figure skating fan, and her current favorite is Daisuke. She said that she had never thought a Japanese boy would be medalled at the Olympics in her life time (she is in her 50s) and that she was happy that the skater happened to be her favorite. But she usually enjoys watching any skaters from other countries. My little brother likes Mao a lot. According to my parents, he looked quite upset about Mao's results at the Olympics. My father also told me that during and after the Olympics, he deliberately said something provocative to my brother and enjoyed his reaction (cruel!). I doubt either of them has any substantial knowledge of the sport, but they seem to enjoy watching their favorites skating.

I haven't talked about figure skating with others, but I believe my family is quite average, and every family in Japan is more or less like mine.

As for the general public, someone above posted some polls called "Sentaku," and I saw them. I'm sorry if this sounds offensive, but to me, it doesn't look like a reliable source at all. I haven't even heard of it. I think one of the most reliable sources about the most popular athletes in Japan is the one from Hakuhodo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakuhodo). Hakuhodo is the second largest advertising company in Japan. I can say that their poll results are quite reliable because they conduct them for their clients, that is, the companies for whom they make CMs. Hakuhodo's poll results are also most frequently featured in the mainstream media, I think. According to the one which was conducted last March (right after the Olympics) (source (http://www.findstar.co.jp/news/syosai.php?s=201105)), the most popular athlete in Japan was a baseball player, 2nd was Mao, 3rd was a golfer, Yu-na was 4th, and Daisuke was 5th. and the athlete from other countries who you want to watch in commercials most was Yu-na. Shawn White was 2nd, Mirai was 3rd, and Plushenko was 4th.

From here, just my impressions, but I try to be objective.
As other comments say, I feel Plushenko, Joubert, Buttle and Lambiel are very popular among Japanese figure skating fans. They usually admire great jumpers like Midori Ito, and that's why they like Plushenko and Joubert. Lambiel is often introduced as "the Artist on Ice" by the Japanese media. I once saw him in a TV commercial of Fuji Xerox, a big company in Japan. In the past, I remember Candeloro, Kulik, and Yagudin were very popular. As for ladies, the country has several top skaters right now, and the media is busy featuring only those girls, so the general public don't know much about skaters from other countries, I think. As for the skaters who already retired, Lynn, Witt, and Kwan have attained the status of legendary figures. Cohen is very popular too.

Squibble
11-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Hi, I'm Japanese, and a newbie here. My English is not good, so I usually don't leave any comments, but here I think I could contribute a little.

You are too modest! Your English is excellent. Please post more often. :)

work suspended
11-20-2010, 01:25 AM
You are too modest! Your English is excellent. Please post more often. :)

Thank you so much for your kind words!

RunnersHigh
11-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Sentaku (http://sentaku.org/sport/1000017876/)

Findstar (http://www.findstar.co.jp/news/syosai.php?s=201105)

Tell me which one is from ほん-ね(the bottom of heart)? JKJK!! :lol:
IMHO, it's so natural that some love her and others hate her. Is there anyone loved by everyone? Never heard of it.

BTW, why Elene Gedevanishvili? and who else?

NMURA
11-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Tell me which one is from ほん-ね(the bottom of heart)? JKJK!! :lol:
IMHO, it's so natural that some love her and others hate her. Is there anyone loved by everyone? Never heard of it.

BTW, why Elene Gedevanishvili? and who else?

I think it's more correct to say, the latter is a ranking of "famous non-Japanese winter olympic athletes." Most of the Japanese will have no opinion on such minor athletes, compared to Beckham or Messi.

The former is from voluntary votes of figure skating "fans". They are the ones know less than minor athletes like Gedevanishvili and attend skating events.

iarispiralllyof
11-20-2010, 06:12 PM
As for the skaters who already retired, Lynn, Witt, and Kwan have attained the status of legendary figures. Cohen is very popular too.

This is good to know, I was really curious if Michelle had any fans in Japan :)

Btw this isn't really related but after NHK trophy and cup of russia I find myself really liking Narumi Takahashi and Mervin Tran (pairs), they represent Japan after all so I wonder if they've been getting a lot of support from the Japanese public?