PDA

View Full Version : Which foreign skaters do Japanese fans like?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

galaxy
11-18-2010, 03:06 AM
Plushenko is the most popular right now definitely.

He has had a fan base in Japan since he was a little junior skater like 14years old. Actually I know there was a small tour " Meet and tour St. Petersburg with Evgeny Plushenko-kun, who is a new rising star of figure skating" planned by his fans. A friend of mine who joined the tour said that Plushy was a shy, quiet and sweet boy and didn't talk much (he didn't speak English at that time) but smiled modestly from time to time and followed them. She said that he was soooooooooooo cute.:)

Then he came to NHK in three consecutive years ( 1998-2000) and GPF(2001), he awed Japan totally and became a superstar among Japanese fans. He was really, really and really popular, that was beyond words!!

Not only fans, but he became an idol to most of Japanese skaters. Ask Japanese top skaters now, Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka, Hanyu, Miki, Mao. To them Plushenko is an idol and they were inspired and motivated and pushed by him with the dream that they wanted to become able to jump like him, skate like him sometime in the future.

Plushenko and Yagudin are a figureskating legend in Japan.

After the Salt Lake City Olys, I think his popularity was taken over by Yagudin a bit.

Then Plushy totally awed Japan again by his comeback for the Vancouber Olys. Because fans and even media thought that after the absense of three years, at the age of 27, after two knee surgeries, and still having an injury , the way he came back was incredible, unbelieavable and it was almost beyond human ability. Nobody else can do it, only he can do it, because he is Plushenko.

Although a lot of people and media admit that Lysacek deserved the gold and I think fs fans who visit online are aware of what he is said in NA and how he is hated,bashed and ditched in NA, but still, he became so popular in Japan again by the comeback even among casual fans. And I think after the comeback, he is most poplular in Japan right now through his career, more popular than before, because I see every time he shows up in front of the audience, he gets the hugest applause, even huger than Japanese skaters such as Dai or Mao! :eek:

pinky166
11-18-2010, 05:05 AM
The Japanese fans seem to really like Elene Gedevanishvilli too

NMURA
11-18-2010, 05:20 AM
I think Yagudin is the most popular, in a sense, having virtually no critique.

Fashionista
11-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Yagudin and Plush definitely.

kudryavka
11-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi, I know that Japan has plenty of successful skaters within the country, but are there any foreign skaters from outside of Japan that are popular with Japanese skating fans? (Are there any foreign skaters who could come on tour to Japan and be overwhelmed by fans seeking their autograph?)

Evgeni Plushenko and Stephane Lambiel.

Ofc, other skaters are also popular- Weir, Verner, Kim, Yagudin. But, now, Plushenko and Lambiel have an inordinate level of popularity among Japanese figure skaitng fans. In particular, the protest in Vancouver made Plushenko a superstar in Japan.

I just read all posts here.
What galaxy says (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2951759&postcount=16) is exactly right.

allezfred
11-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Similar thing happened at TEB 2009, where most Japanese fans attending the event didn't join in the ovation after Kim skated.

I too believe there are many Yu-Na fans in Japan. But for the majority of others hatred for Yu-Na runs deep.

That's absolutely ridiculous even for you. :rolleyes:

NMURA
11-18-2010, 01:17 PM
There are two million Koreans (pure, mixed, ex) in Japan. I guess the percentage is higher at skating events than the general society, nonetheless, they are minority.

ciocio
11-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Plushenko is the most popular, his popularity increased a lot after Vancouver but he is popular in Japan since he was 14-15 years old, just like galaxy said. Second would be Lambiel.

Hedwig
11-18-2010, 02:35 PM
A lot of skaters say repeatedly how awesome it is to compete in Japan because of the support and appreciation of the audience.
And Yu-Na Kim has had even a television ad in Japan so the thought of deep hatred is :rofl:

Zokko!
11-18-2010, 02:42 PM
I'd say Yagudin, Plushenko, Weir, Lambiel, Joubert.

highrisegiraffe
11-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Jeffrey Buttle - there is a group of his Japanese fan club members who come to Canada every summer to attend the Mariposa Gala, meet with him and have an on-ice skating session with him the next day.

allezfred
11-18-2010, 04:04 PM
There are two million Koreans (pure, mixed, ex) in Japan. I guess the percentage is higher at skating events than the general society, nonetheless, they are minority.

Things must have changed dramatically since I last attended a skating competition in Japan. I'd no idea they were carrying out surveys on the ethnicity of people attending the events. :confused:

miki88
11-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Things must have changed dramatically since I last attended a skating competition in Japan. I'd no idea they were carrying out surveys on the ethnicity of people attending the events. :confused:

Lol.

Oh, and just to note, not joining in a standing ovation does not mean you dislike the performer. Sometimes, people are just too lazy to stand up. :)

NMURA
11-18-2010, 07:13 PM
I've found some internet polls on "favorite figure skaters". They are very unreliable, of course. Mao Asada and Daisuke Takahashi are on the top, of course.

Male
http://sentaku.org/sport/1000006240/

Yagudin
Buttle
Joubert
Gachinski
Lambiel
Kulik

Female
http://sentaku.org/sport/1000017876/

Gedevanishvili
Nagasu
Slutskaya
Lepisto
Cohen
Leonova

As expected, Yuna Kim is unpopular (she could have more votes considering the Korean population in Japan). Chan is better than I expected.

Arisa
11-18-2010, 07:36 PM
I've found some internet polls on "favorite figure skaters". They are very unreliable, of course. Mao Asada and Daisuke Takahashi are on the top, of course.

Male
http://sentaku.org/sport/1000006240/

Yagudin
Buttle
Joubert
Gachinski
Lambiel
Kulik

Female
http://sentaku.org/sport/1000017876/

Gedevanishvili
Nagasu
Slutskaya
Lepisto
Cohen
Leonova

As expected, Yuna Kim is unpopular (she could have more votes considering the Korean population in Japan). Chan is better than I expected.

Hmmm... Interesting.

26. Yuna Kim
60. Yu-na Kim

51. Anyone except Yuna Kim
The Comment from 51: She's not the kind of person who deserves to be on the rink.