PDA

View Full Version : It is so hard to find .....

Aussie Willy
11-17-2010, 11:52 AM
In September my mechanic that I had been going to for years closed down. Very distressing because they did a fantastic job but more importantly I trusted them and they never ever ripped me off.

Good thing is I have found another mechanic today. And discovered that these people (who sell tyres as well as doing car servicing) dealt with the other mechanics. So when I told them my mechanic had closed down, they knew exactly who it was.

Anyway it was a very good service (car felt so much better) and it wasn't expensive so I definately was not ripped off.

So what services have you had a hard time finding someone reliable and trustworthy? I would have thought mechanics would be on the top of the list.

Buzz
11-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Hairdressers and doctors. Never found a hairdresser I liked and my doctor retired sometime ago, she was terrific, but my new one is not very nice at all so I am not motivated to go to the doctor's office at all. LOL

Wyliefan
11-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Hairdressers. I could not get mine to stop cutting my hair too short, no matter what I said. I finally stayed away for five months and just grew it out, and when I went back, did everything short of using semaphore flags to remind him to take no more than an inch off the length.

And then he still left the bangs too long.

Plus he charges a small fortune. I like him and his wife and I know they really need the business right now, but I'm thinking seriously of just going to Hair Cuttery next time. I'm trying to budget more carefully, and expensive haircuts (that don't even look like you want them to look) are hardly a necessity.

PRlady
11-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Fixers around the house. I can't find anyone to fix the blown fuse on my microwave, you'd think that would be easy but it's not, and I'm not replacing the whole thing just because the vent fan and over-stove lights don't work. I'm ready to date an electrician trained by GE just to get it fixed.

And it took me months to find a good dentist who took my insurance and was downtown, but I finally found one.

Wyliefan, I have an excellent haircutter in Friendship Heights if you're interested. :) On the Metro.

snoopy
11-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Guys who can fix stuff are sexy. And they go on the "hard to find" list too, these days.

cruisin
11-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Fixers around the house. I can't find anyone to fix the blown fuse on my microwave, you'd think that would be easy but it's not, and I'm not replacing the whole thing just because the vent fan and over-stove lights don't work. I'm ready to date an electrician trained by GE just to get it fixed.

Call GE. They have servicemen. Do Not fool around with a microwave that has a problem. We had a GE microwave that had a fuse problem and one night it turned on, all by itself and melted down. Thankfully we smelled it and I ran down and pulled the plug. When we got the service people in, they said we were lucky the whole house didn't burn down. GE replaced the unit because it was defective.

Aussie Willy
11-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Call GE. They have servicemen. Do Not fool around with a microwave that has a problem. We had a GE microwave that had a fuse problem and one night it turned on, all by itself and melted down. Thankfully we smelled it and I ran down and pulled the plug. When we got the service people in, they said we were lucky the whole house didn't burn down. GE replaced the unit because it was defective.
I knew there was a reason why I turn my microwave off at the wall.

mkats
11-18-2010, 04:09 AM
Wyliefan, I have an excellent haircutter in Friendship Heights if you're interested. :) On the Metro.

Is this Dessange? One of the girls in my office swears by this place. :)

BigB08822
11-18-2010, 07:26 AM
My boyfriend took his truck to Firestone the other day because it is right by the house and brand new. His truck was overheating. They called him about 11:00 that morning and said there was no obvious leak but he needed more coolant, about $40 or so worth. At about 3:30 that afternoon they call and said "oh we found this this and this, it will be about $1500." At this point my boyfriend thinks this sounds a little fishy and he decided to just take it to the dealership. We go to get the truck about 6:30 that night and they come out to talk to him the problems and they pointed out all these things and gave him a new estimate of $2800! Can you believe? The bill just kept climbing and climbing. $2800 on a 7 year old truck with a lot of miles on it because of where he works. Might as well buy a "new" used vehicle. He took it to the dealership and they found a few things, got him all fixed up for $750. That price included changing some kind of belt that needed to be changed because of his mileage, so that was something not even included from Firestone and that part alone cost about $300 I think. Unreal. So, I understand having a hard time finding a mechanic you can trust.