PDA

View Full Version : Carey Mulligan to star in The Great Gatsby

Pages : [1] 2

IceAlisa
11-17-2010, 03:19 AM
as Prancer's favorite character of all times, Daisy Buchanan. At first I was a little put off by this casting but considering the alternatives, I think she is rather appropriate. Scarlett Johansson? Blake Lively? Seriously?

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/139-carey-mulligan-grabs-great-gatsby-part

Rex
11-17-2010, 03:22 AM
IceAlisa, have you seen the two previous film versions, or read the book?

Wyliefan
11-17-2010, 03:32 AM
Ooh, I like her. I think she'll be good.

And anything that further delays that wretched attempt at a My Fair Lady remake is all right with me. :P

emason
11-17-2010, 03:32 AM

Actually, there seem to be 3 previous versions:
1926 Warner Baxter and Lois Wilson
1959 Alan Ladd and Betty Field
1974 The grand stinkeroo: Robert Redford and Mia Farrow

Wyliefan
11-17-2010, 03:36 AM
I know the 1974 one has a bad reputation, but I actually didn't think it was as bad as all that. :shuffle:

IceAlisa
11-17-2010, 03:37 AM

I've read the book--and loved it.

1974 The grand stinkeroo: Robert Redford and Mia Farrow That does not sound right. Another thing that's not right is that I think "Emma Watson" when someone says "Mia Farrow". :slinkaway

zhenya271
11-17-2010, 04:23 AM
Well, I'll pay to see it. I bet the clothes and set will be gorgeous!:)

escaflowne9282
11-17-2010, 06:31 AM
I've read the book--and loved it.
That does not sound right. Another thing that's not right is that I think "Emma Watson" when someone says "Mia Farrow". :slinkaway

It's the haircut and waif-like appearance . I found Mia Farrow was miscast, so was Robert Redford . Her accent was horrendous

I loved the book :shuffle:. I generally like anything set in the 1920s.

Rex
11-17-2010, 12:24 PM
I've never cared for Redford as an actor, although he has been in some choice films. I thought he was awful in The Way We Were - too old and too bland. His Gatsby film was pretty to look at, but OMG, it was like watching paint dry.

DiCaprio as Gatsby? He could pull it off. He was quite good in Gilbert Grape, The Aviator and Catch me if You Can.

elka_sk8
11-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Oooh I just saw An Education last week. Loved her!

Satellitegirl
11-17-2010, 12:46 PM
I like that choice a lot. I was worried they'd choose Scarlet or some other well known that would overshadow the part.

Wyliefan
11-17-2010, 01:10 PM
DiCaprio? Eh . . . I don't know. It bugs me that he will always and forever look twelve years old, even when he's eighty. He's talented, but he doesn't have much of a presence, IMO. Then again, I guess Gatsby's not exactly supposed to be an imposing figure.

LordCirque
11-17-2010, 01:23 PM
I quite enjoyed the 1974 Gatsby film, but then again I love the book and story, so it wasn't difficult for me to enjoy the movie.

I love DiCaprio but I'm not entirely sure I see him as Gatsby. Nick maybe but not Gatsby.

Any word on who is playing Jordan Baker?

Baz Luhrmann! :cheer2: I always love his movies.

mrinalini
11-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Meh, not a fan of DiCaprio at all. Always plays the same part in all his movies; he's fairly one-note and not capable of great range, IMO. He also seems to be in everything these days. I'm not sure he's physically right for the part of Gatsby, either. I'd love it if they would cast someone like Michael Fassbender or something.

Mulligan is a better choice as Daisy, but even then I don't think she's ideal. Granted, I saw An Education in economy class :P, but I saw enough to decide I wasn't overly impressed by her acting. If I'm to be perfectly shallow, I also don't think she's beautiful enough for the role. Rebecca Hall would've been a better fit, IMO. The problem with casting a role like Daisy is that they'd have to get someone quite mesmeric looking who can act, and that leaves virtually no one in Hollywood who's right for the part.

Satellitegirl
11-17-2010, 03:11 PM
I like DiCaprio as a choice, and do think he has presence. I have liked just about every movie he's been in, and he has made good career decisions. Might be in the minority, but I think he's great.