PDA

View Full Version : Parenting Thread

Pages : [1] 2

algonquin
11-16-2010, 03:42 PM
I hate parenting boards, so I am posting this here. I'd like some potty training tips. My son is three and 1/2 and we are having potty training problems. Now, before anyone criticizes me for starting late there were some special circumstances why we delayed training him. In hindsight, I wish that we had started earlier, but we moved to a new city when our son was 2 and he had a hard time adjusting to the move. He is special needs and has been diagnosed with motor apraxia. (http://www.answers.com/topic/motor-apraxia) The first year after our move, we spent a lot of time at doctors and trying to get his therapy team together. When his therapy team was together and doctor appointments started to lessen, we decided that it was time to start potty training. It is not going that well. I should add that he is very, very bright and his comprehension is at age level.

Anyway, here is my question. It was recommended that I get him out of diapers and not use pull-ups, because kids do not feel wet in them. I bought Gerber training pants and their outer waterproof pants to help stop leaks, but they leak like a sieve and I am afraid to take him out in them. Any tips would be appreciated.

nubka
11-16-2010, 04:01 PM
I would use the Gerber pants at home, and pull-ups if you have to take him out (at least until you know that he's getting the hang of it.)

algonquin
11-16-2010, 05:12 PM
I would use the Gerber pants at home, and pull-ups if you have to take him out (at least until you know that he's getting the hang of it.)Thanks, I have such a headache this morning, that I wasn't really that clear. I am looking for product recommedations, training pants that don't leak or when we have to use them, the best pull-up brands.

Cupid
11-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Why is this called a "partnering thread"?

What helped me with my daughter when she was potty-training was after a while, she knew what was expected of her, but if she were outside playing she would wet herself. I then sat her down and said I know you know how to go to potty when you need to, so from now on, if you have an accident, you must change yourself into clean underpants.

Worked like a charm.

algonquin
11-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Why is this called a "partnering thread"?Because I had an very bad headache this morning and could not think correctly. Admins can you change the tittle for me? Thanks

zhenya271
11-16-2010, 10:37 PM
What helped with my son was that he could go long periods of time without needing to go, so that we were able to make him go before he actually wet himself.
Would you be able to stay home for a few days and put him on the toilet at regular intervals before he even has time to have an accident? Hopefully he would get used to the pattern,ritual.

IceAlisa
11-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Hopefully, it will not take long once you take away the diapers. It took a friend about a week. Do you think that the motor apraxia interferes with his ability to go potty himself?

If so, perhaps you could teach him to ask to go potty and then assist until he gets the hang of it, so to speak? Also although he is a boy, perhaps going #1 sitting down would be easier for starters as opposed to going like a big boy standing up.

algonquin
11-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Hopefully, it will not take long once you take away the diapers. It took a friend about a week. Do you think that the motor apraxia interferes with his ability to go potty himself?

If so, perhaps you could teach him to ask to go potty and then assist until he gets the hang of it, so to speak? Also although he is a boy, perhaps going #1 sitting down would be easier for starters as opposed to going like a big boy standing up.Thanks and yes, I think that the apraxia is interfering with the potty training. That's why I was looking for any suggestions for good potty training products. Apraxia is affecting all his motor system, gross, fine, ocular and speech. He is non-verbal, but his comprehension is at age level. He does some ASL signs but the sign for potty is too difficult for him. We have been trying to figure out another sign. We will be buying him a iPad in the new year to help with his communication.

It is not hard to tell that there is a very sharp brain in his little head. His early math and visual spacial abilities are incredible, but the wiring for his motor skills is not quite right. I thought about putting him into skating, because my doctor mentioned that the left and right movements are good for neurodevelopment. I have, however, decided to try therapeutic horseback riding first. This is a longer answer that you were looking for...

What helped with my son was that he could go long periods of time without needing to go, so that we were able to make him go before he actually wet himself.
Would you be able to stay home for a few days and put him on the toilet at regular intervals before he even has time to have an accident? Hopefully he would get used to the pattern,ritual.Thank you as well, we have tried the whole day thing with little success. Sometimes, I think that I should just leave it for a bit, but other times, I think "just keep going and it will click".

Hannahclear
11-17-2010, 01:25 AM
You can look online at cloth diapering retailers for training pants that are higher quality and still reusable. Gerber cloth diapers are also total crap at absorbing things.

http://www.diaperjunction.com/potty-training.html

IceAlisa
11-17-2010, 02:14 AM
I am sure with patience, consistency and a little creativity it will click. Don't get discouraged! :)

jp1andonly
11-17-2010, 03:46 AM
use PIC symbols. You can create a step by step of what to do and have him put the PIC symbols to the finished side after he completes each step. This also gives him a way to communicate other the ASL (since when he hits school they will probably use PICS if he is still lagging behind in communication)

*just editing to add boardmaker is the program that you can create PIC symbols with*

Matryeshka
11-17-2010, 03:50 AM
My baby brother wasn't potty trained till a month before kindergarten started, and he graduated from Harvard Law in May, so I wouldn't worry too much about him.

This would definitely not be kosher on a parenting board, but there's always bribing. It works. Candy and stickers always work. Or in my brother's case, a motorized toy Jeep thing.

IceAlisa
11-17-2010, 03:53 AM
Why is bribing so bad? :respec: bribing!

mmscfdcsu
11-17-2010, 04:05 AM
Certainly discuss with the child's doctor. If there is no physical reason that he can't be trained now, then sometimes it is just fine to take a break now and start up again in a month. Sometimes it really is about waiting until the child is ready. One of my friend's triplets could hold actual discussions with his parents about why he wasn't ready yet. My poor friend had visions of sending him off to college in Pambers. Then, a few weeks after turning three, he trained himself in a couple of days.

zhenya271
11-17-2010, 04:13 AM
Yeah, I've heard Hershey kisses referred to as the doodoo candy!:eek::lol:
So what would work as the pee pee candy?:lol:

If you had any little feeling that you should wait, I would go with my gut and then just hold off. You do know best! It's so much easier when they are ready! Spare yourself some headaches. :)