PDA

View Full Version : Scientists propose one-way trips to Mars

Pages : [1] 2 3

Aaron W
11-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Scientists propose one-way trips to Mars (http://www.komonews.com/news/local/108162169.html)

PULLMAN, Wash. (AP) - Invoking the spirit of "Star Trek" in a scholarly article entitled "To Boldly Go," two scientists contend human travel to Mars could happen much more quickly and cheaply if the missions are made one-way. They argue that it would be little different from early settlers to North America, who left Europe with little expectation of return.

"The main point is to get Mars exploration moving," said Dirk Schulze-Makuch of Washington State University, who wrote the article in the latest "Journal of Cosmology" with Paul Davies of Arizona State University. The colleagues state - in one of 55 articles in the issue devoted to exploring Mars - that humans must begin colonizing another planet as a hedge against a catastrophe on Earth.

President Obama informed NASA last April that he "'believed by the mid-2030s that we could send humans to orbit Mars and safely return them to Earth. And that a landing would soon follow,"' said agency spokesman Michael Braukus.

No where did Obama suggest the astronauts be left behind.

"We want our people back," Braukus said.

Retired Apollo 14 astronaut Ed Mitchell, who walked on the Moon, was also critical of the one-way idea.

"This is premature," Mitchell wrote in an e-mail. "We aren't ready for this yet."

Davies and Schulze-Makuch say it's important to realize they're not proposing a "suicide mission."

"The astronauts would go to Mars with the intention of staying for the rest of their lives, as trailblazers of a permanent human Mars colony," they wrote, while acknowledging the proposal is a tough sell for NASA, with its intense focus on safety.

PDilemma
11-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Are they taking nominations for who we send?:lol:

Jot the Dot Dot
11-15-2010, 05:03 PM

If so, let me be the first to nominate Justin Bieber!

Buzz
11-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I have a list of people who I would like to send on that trip.... :EVILLE:

Satellitegirl
11-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I volunteer to go lol. Get me out of here!

MikiAndoFan#1
11-15-2010, 11:50 PM
If so, let me be the first to nominate Justin Bieber!

Nice choice.

:EVILLE:

StonewshMullet
11-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Oh goody, I have a list of potential colonists, Glenn Beck chief among them.

Reuven
11-16-2010, 12:00 AM
"As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list — I've got a little list"

rjblue
11-16-2010, 03:50 AM
There would be no shortage of volunteers for such a mission. Many people grew up reading the story of D.D. Harriman (Requiem, The Man Who Sold the Moon), and would eagerly join such a risky mission.

Robert Louis Stevenson said it best:

Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie:
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will!
This be the verse you grave for me:
Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

Tinami Amori
11-16-2010, 07:08 PM

They can send death-row prisoners...... convicted murderers, rapists, terrorists, so they can start a colony.

..... And then there will be a 3rd sequel to "Escpae from NY/Escape from LA"... "Escape from Mars"

susan6
11-16-2010, 07:23 PM
They can send death-row prisoners...... convicted murderers, rapists, terrorists, so they can start a colony.

..... And then there will be a 3rd sequel to "Escpae from NY/Escape from LA"... "Escape from Mars"

Hey, Australia worked out pretty well....

AliasJohnDoe
11-16-2010, 07:48 PM
If religion and politics were banned on Mars....I'd go.

But I'd shoot that Bieber dude out the airlock before I got there.

John 3 17
11-17-2010, 01:03 AM
I'd suggest Obama, but then I like Mars too much to inflict it with him. Maybe that's why he defunded NASA.

-Bridget :)

Lanna
11-17-2010, 02:26 AM

Already won a Hugo. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Is_a_Harsh_Mistress)

Aussie Willy
11-17-2010, 02:43 AM
Hey, Australia worked out pretty well....
:lol: