PDA

View Full Version : Disliked Online, but Popular in the General Public?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Cloudy_Gumdrops
11-13-2010, 05:07 PM
So, after reading a comment in some other thread, I started wondering about the disparity between the fandoms of the online communities and the general public.

Some skaters seem to be loathed on the internet, yet, they seem to be very popular among the casual, 'every 4 year' type fans.

What skaters do you find that to be true about?

Plushenko is the first one that comes to mind.

danceronice
11-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Evan, espeically post-DWTS.

miki88
11-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Sasha Cohen. To casual fans, she's a beautiful skater who couldn't keep her nerves. However, she seems to have a lot of critics on her basic skating, etc. online.
Another one that comes to mind is Irina Slutskaya.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
11-13-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm also gonna go ahead and add Tanith & Ben.

The Accordion
11-13-2010, 05:44 PM
In general

I think many online hate it when skaters don't have good line or bad posture. I am not so sure that the general public cares as much.

Online fans can be rabid about skaters with overused music - especially if they only use what is considered to be overused. I think that same music allows the general fan in more easily as it is often something they recognize and/or the reason it is used is because it is good to skate to or has the potential to get the crowd involved. Same goes for choreography. Online fans like to see something new - or intricate. Often the general public likes someone who performs well - regardless of the originality or difficulty of the choreography.

Online fans hate skaters who are - in their opinion - overmarked or who make what they consider to be arrogant or otherwise offensive remarks to the press. Unless it is something really prominent - general fans will be unaware of such comments.

AndyWarhol
11-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Sasha Cohen. To casual fans, she's a beautiful skater who couldn't keep her nerves. However, she seems to have a lot of critics on her basic skating, etc. online.

I agree. Sasha gets a lot of critique online about things that casual fan either don't care about or understand. edges etc. Her "wow-factor" positions make her a casual fan favourite, while those with more understanding/full time interest wanted her to develop her basic skating.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
11-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Often the general public likes someone who performs well - regardless of the originality or difficulty of the choreography.

That's my mom. When she watches skating with me, she finds everyone who skated cleanly to be 'just wonderful'. :)

FunnyBut
11-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Mira Leung. I had heard so many criticisms of her, and many Canadian posters seemed among the most critical. Then when I watched her at Skate Canada, she actually got one of the loudest applauses of the night.

Rex
11-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Michelle Kwan. She seems to have more detractors online than in the GP.

AYS
11-13-2010, 07:25 PM
I would say overall the GP is more uniformly positive about all skaters than in online FS communities. Kind of ironic, considering we're the ones that supposedly love skating so much. :lol:

Definitely agree though, about MK.

briancoogaert
11-13-2010, 07:50 PM
It depends on the country. Brian Joubert is very popular in France, but has many critics on the internet.

Wyliefan
11-13-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't think there are any skaters who are without their online critics. "Disliked online" may be too sweeping a term.

nubka
11-13-2010, 09:39 PM
John Baldwin... :D

Zokko!
11-13-2010, 09:45 PM
I hate to admit it, but it's so f*****' true, general audiences, at least in Germany, who visit a skating show by chance, love, just LOVE!!! sparkles ("Holiday on Ice" :blah: ) and Hula-Hoop-girls & Co. on ice most ... :mad: :o :duh: I guess I'm not the only one who despises them (online or not) ...

museksk8r
11-13-2010, 09:53 PM
I would say overall the GP is more uniformly positive about all skaters than in online FS communities. Kind of ironic, considering we're the ones that supposedly love skating so much. :lol:

Now what kind of fans would we be if we didn't snark about mediocrity among the skaters and the system when we see it. Our passion shows how much we care! :lol: The best fans are the ones who are most difficult to please, IMO. Why settle for okay when we know these skaters can be great and that this sport can be/should be better! :soapbox:;)

In general

I think many online hate it when skaters don't have good line or bad posture. I am not so sure that the general public cares as much.

Online fans can be rabid about skaters with overused music - especially if they only use what is considered to be overused. I thinik that same music allows the general fan in more easily as it is often something they recognize and/or the reason it is used is because it is good to skate to or has the potential to get the crowd involved. Same goes for choreography. Online fans like to see something new - or intricate. Often the general public likes someone who performs well - regardless of the originality or difficulty of the choreography.

Online fans hate skaters who are - in their opinion - overmarked or who make what they consider to be arrogant or otherwise offensive remarks to the press. Unless it is something really prominent - general fans will be unaware of such comments.

ITA!!! :respec: