PDA

View Full Version : For all things Fútbol...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Buzz
08-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Oh well the Olympic gold is not such a big deal in this sport anyway. LOL

NeilJLeonard
08-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Oh well the Olympic gold is not such a big deal in this sport anyway. LOL
Yes it is. Especially in the woman's game. Their full National teams play in both the Olympics and the WWC. The Olympics are definitely second in importance to only the WWC.

For the men, since it is their U-23 & 3 old pros, it is less important, but an Olympic Gold Medal is still huge. Why else would the Brazilian team be so despondent at the end. This is their 3rd Silver and they, and their woman, want the Gold badly. It's the one trophy in this sport they lack.

It is also indicative of the future of the men's game. Mexico's golden generation is just now arriving on the scene. They'll be a force for the next decade at least. They will dominate CONCACAF for that time span and be contenders in any and all International tournaments, too. They're doing this when both the USA and Canada are in a bit of a down period (not to mention that there are other teams in CONCACAF that have improved dramatically, think of Honduras, for one). Neither of our squads are quite what they were a few years ago. They will play 2nd fiddle, or much lower, to Mexico, and possibly others, for the foreseeable future (the "friendly" that team USA plays at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City shortly will give us an indication of the distance between the 2 teams - I'm expecting a Mexican blow-out...:(...). All the more reason for me too choke on their beating Brazil in the Olympics for the Gold Medal. I simply can't enjoy El Tri's success.

For all of that, my congratulations to Team Mexico for a job well done. No one expected them to go to the final, let alone win it. By doing it they give dear olde CONCACAF 3 of the 6 Olympic Medals in the Sport. Everyone north of Mexico's southern border can strut about with their chests puffed out for a bit. Our team's done good....:D

NJL

Buzz
08-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Bah.... :P

KHenry14
08-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Hey, Christine Sinclair is the Canadian Flag Bearer for the closing ceremony!! Well chosen, good for her!

And yes, an outstanding tournament for CONCACAF. The Mexican men's win throws down the gauntlet to the Americans, and Klinsman better have his boys ready...starting next Wednesday at Azteca!! YIKES. One day the USA is going to beat those guys in Azteca, but I don't think Wednesday will be the day I'm afraid.

And the USA Women's team we will see in Canada in 2015 will likely have a fair amount of turnover. Age will likely catch up with some of the players, plus there is good young talent that is just going to demand playing time. Sidney Leroux is just too good a talent to keep on the bench for long. But, can she force Abby to the bench? Not immediately, but by 2015? Maybe...

KHenry14
08-13-2012, 02:59 PM
We've talked about it before, but now it looks like a MLS stadium in Queens, NY is getting a lot closer to reality. http://www.nypost.com/Page/Uuid/59c37ccc-e4fe-11e1-a439-feb8f9b664fb The difference here is that there is no team in place for the stadium. Sure the league is going to put the Cosmos there, but they don't have a real ownership group in place for the team, but this move on the stadium indicates that that isn't going to be an issue.

I guess I just wished that the Red Bulls would get their own attendence issues fixed before another team goes into NYC. Even with the talent on the pitch, Henry, Cooper, LeToux etc., the Red Bulls don't sell out. And with the Cosmos coming and creating the stir that that will whip up, I am concerned about the health of the Red Bull franchise. They better win, and win soon IMO.

NeilJLeonard
08-13-2012, 04:58 PM
We've talked about it before, but now it looks like a MLS stadium in Queens, NY is getting a lot closer to reality. http://www.nypost.com/Page/Uuid/59c37ccc-e4fe-11e1-a439-feb8f9b664fb The difference here is that there is no team in place for the stadium. Sure the league is going to put the Cosmos there, but they don't have a real ownership group in place for the team, but this move on the stadium indicates that that isn't going to be an issue.

I guess I just wished that the Red Bulls would get their own attendence issues fixed before another team goes into NYC. Even with the talent on the pitch, Henry, Cooper, LeToux etc., the Red Bulls don't sell out. And with the Cosmos coming and creating the stir that that will whip up, I am concerned about the health of the Red Bull franchise. They better win, and win soon IMO.

To be kept in mind is MLS's idea to hold at 20 teams for the time being. That leaves them with an entire region of the USA without any team: the southeast. From Virginia south and from Texas east there is zero MLS representation. The questions are: where, when and how many?

Orlando seems to be at the top of the heap to be #21 or get one of the current 20 relocated. After that? Who knows? San Antonio wants MLS badly, but Texas already has 2 teams. Aside from Orlando any other Florida location is suspect because when the league contracted a few years back they dropped both Miami & Tampa & both areas a suspect, even though Miami has brought in mucho $$$ with 50,000+ attendance for MLS sponsored international exhibitions at the Stadium-of-Many-Names, to MLS support for the domestic game is not assured. Virginia &/or Carolina? Hot beds of the domestic sport but no current owner groups that seem hot & horny to move up. Atlanta? Great location in the heart of the SE and their Div 2 team puts up good attendance figures despite being the worst team in Div 2, but the desire to move up is not yet exhibited by the team owner.

We'll see how it goes. No one knows how long MLS will wait to add teams after #20 or how many there will be. Numbers like 24, 28, 30 or 32 have been thrown about (to me 24 seems like a reasonable stopping point and I'm fine with it......as long as South Florida gets one of them...;)...). As I said, we'll see.

NJL (...please stay tuned....this could be a fun mystery to watch over the next decade or so...:D...)

NeilJLeonard
08-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Hey, Christine Sinclair is the Canadian Flag Bearer for the closing ceremony!! Well chosen, good for her!

And yes, an outstanding tournament for CONCACAF. The Mexican men's win throws down the gauntlet to the Americans, and Klinsman better have his boys ready...starting next Wednesday at Azteca!! YIKES. One day the USA is going to beat those guys in Azteca, but I don't think Wednesday will be the day I'm afraid.

And the USA Women's team we will see in Canada in 2015 will likely have a fair amount of turnover. Age will likely catch up with some of the players, plus there is good young talent that is just going to demand playing time. Sidney Leroux is just too good a talent to keep on the bench for long. But, can she force Abby to the bench? Not immediately, but by 2015? Maybe...
Wednesday WAS the day! Mexico 0 v 1 USA!

Sure it was a friendly. No trophy given. No 3 points. It takes us no closer to Rio in the next WC, but, the USA had never, ever beaten Mexico in Mexico. Now we have. In Azteca, too. On a goal by a US born "Mexican" player, Michael Orozco Fiscal, who plays in the Mexican 1st division for San Luis. It was the only goal of the match. The USA then held off Mexico's attack for the final 11 minutes plus added time for the win.

Who'd a thunk it was possible? I didn't. KHenry didn't, but Klinsmann & Co did. Then made it happen. Remarkable!

NJL (...in all honesty I never thought I'd live to see it happen.....but, then, I never thought I'd see the Red Sox win THE series, either....;)....:D...)

KHenry14
08-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Who'd a thunk it??? This was a pretty decent Mexican side, and the American's had some of their starters playing, but on paper, no way this team should have beaten Mexico at Azteca. Yet they did.

Saw some good things...Edgar Castillo, Geoff Cameron, Brek Shea, Terrence Boyd all stood out. Saw some bad play too, but today is not the day to dwell on that. ;)

Wow, just wow

NeilJLeonard
08-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Who'd a thunk it??? This was a pretty decent Mexican side, and the American's had some of their starters playing, but on paper, no way this team should have beaten Mexico at Azteca. Yet they did.

Saw some good things...Edgar Castillo, Geoff Cameron, Brek Shea, Terrence Boyd all stood out. Saw some bad play too, but today is not the day to dwell on that. ;)

Wow, just wow
We're now 1-23-1 over the last 75 years against Mexico in Mexico....:D....Next is to break the no win hex against Costa Rica in Costa Rica. If Klinsmann pulls that off his time at the helm of the USMNT will be well spent....;)

NJL (...BTW, "your" Galaxy are rumored to be trying to get Kaka signed as a player in the winter transfer window. Would he be replacing someone? Possibly Beckham? Could the much rumored affair between David & Brightstar's CEO Marcelo Claure & MLS in "Miami" become reality? We'll see....:cool:...)

KHenry14
08-17-2012, 03:08 PM
NJL, well, a couple of answers...

Becks signed an extension in Jan through the 2013 season, so on the face of it, the story doesnt work. Things to remember....David and Posh LOVE living in LA, so it would take something very special to get them to move. I mean a transfer to PSG last year could have happened, but Becks turned that down to stay in LA. Sure, ownership of a team is on Beck's radar, but I don't think that is on the horizon just yet.

Kaka is a natural to take Beck's spot once it becomes open. But the Galaxy may lose both Donovan and Keane after this season, so maybe that is the reason Kaka comes aboard. Funny thing, the only stories on this subject are in spanish, so one wonders if this rumor is being started abroad for a reason?

NeilJLeonard
08-17-2012, 03:52 PM
NJL, well, a couple of answers...

Becks signed an extension in Jan through the 2013 season, so on the face of it, the story doesnt work. Things to remember....David and Posh LOVE living in LA, so it would take something very special to get them to move. I mean a transfer to PSG last year could have happened, but Becks turned that down to stay in LA. Sure, ownership of a team is on Beck's radar, but I don't think that is on the horizon just yet.

Kaka is a natural to take Beck's spot once it becomes open. But the Galaxy may lose both Donovan and Keane after this season, so maybe that is the reason Kaka comes aboard. Funny thing, the only stories on this subject are in spanish, so one wonders if this rumor is being started abroad for a reason?
Yes, but it's got the "Miami Only" contingent in a tizzy down here. The 2 men are supposed to have had a private meeting, along with 2 other interested investors, in London during the Olympics, but, that meeting has been rumored for months to occur anywhere from NYC, LA, Miami, The Bahamas, Timbuctu, Easter Island, Tranquility Base and all other points of the compass.

The "Miami MLS" crowd is convinced that these 2 men getting together will negate MLS's desire to have another team in NYC & will mean the immediate acceptance of a "Miami" team into MLS. This idea drives some fans here into all sorts of incredible dreams for the future that are not going to happen.

We'll see over the next 5 to 10 years what happen. There is a strong desire here for MLS to return, but not necessarily in Miami. The 6,000,000 people in the South Florida market are in 3 counties. They need a team that is centrally based. The city of Miami isn't. This makes for some interesting conversations locally....;)

NJL

KHenry14
08-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Ah, the EPL is back. Loved watching WBA take apart Liverpool 3-0 this morning. Poor Reina was let down by a weak back line.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Clint Dempsey finds himself in Liverpool in a couple of weeks.

Buzz
08-18-2012, 07:35 PM
The EPL is back! WEEEEE!!!! :cheer2: The teams are all just trying to shake off the cobwebs so I'm not gonna put too much stock into these early results.

Buzz
08-21-2012, 02:15 AM
Oh we'll.... I did say these early days shouldn't be taken too seriously. :( Man U lost to Everton 1-0. :wuzrobbed

NeilJLeonard
08-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Oh we'll.... I did say these early days shouldn't be taken too seriously. :( Man U lost to Everton 1-0. :wuzrobbed
Watched it. ManU did not look that good. Everton was the better team on the day.

NJL