PDA

View Full Version : For all things Fútbol...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Buzz
08-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Brazil v Mexico for gold.

NeilJLeonard
08-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Brazil v Mexico for gold.
Rooting for Brazil. I simply can't cheer for Mexico....;)

NJL

KHenry14
08-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Rooting for Brazil. I simply can't cheer for Mexico....;)

NJL

Exactly Neil, no way I could ever root for el Tri.

KHenry14
08-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Ain't gonna happen, KH. One of the Canadian players had a verbal confrontation w/the ref after the game. That's a no-no, too. FIFA has decided that any and all sanctions will be decided upon AFTER the bronze medal game.

Check on BS for particulars.

NJL

It's gutless of FIFA not to punish her. Funny, I kept think of Albert Haynesworth who got a major suspension from the NFL for doing exactly the same thing. :rolleyes:

NeilJLeonard
08-08-2012, 08:21 PM
It's gutless of FIFA not to punish her. Funny, I kept think of Albert Haynesworth who got a major suspension from the NFL for doing exactly the same thing. :rolleyes:
For an interesting discussion of the game go to BS/Referee. They were very critical of the officiating from the beginning.

NJL

Buzz
08-08-2012, 09:09 PM
So sad to hear of the bad sportsmanship and that Canada is getting away with it. I have not heard a thing about it from CTV.

4rkidz
08-09-2012, 04:07 AM
So sad to hear of the bad sportsmanship and that Canada is getting away with it. I have not heard a thing about it from CTV.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/ugly-americans-rise-again-soccer-team-disses-canadian-160147757.html

bad sportsmanship you say.. :lol:

FYI holding the ball for extended period of time requires a verbal warning and then the goalie can get a yellow card.. not a free kick.. and a hand ball call was also incorrect.. which is why the ref is being investigated.. also suggestions that she was 'unduly influenced' by American player Wambach..

here is the rule

12 states "handles the ball deliberately". So if the ball hits the player's body and then the player plays the ball deliberately, foul = direct free kick/penalty kick.
Ball hits player's hand/arm play on. A penalty is called if there is movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand) Which is why it was a bad call..

:blah:

NeilJLeonard
08-09-2012, 08:15 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/ugly-americans-rise-again-soccer-team-disses-canadian-160147757.html

bad sportsmanship you say.. :lol:
A Norwegian ref blows a call. The Canadian players get on her case after the game. Yet it's "Ugly Americans". No mention of 3 blown leads or of Rapinoe's two gems. Just "they didn't compliment us". Interesting. Sour grapes. Child, please....:rolleyes:

FYI holding the ball for extended period of time requires a verbal warning and then the goalie can get a yellow card.. not a free kick.. and a hand ball call was also incorrect.. which is why the ref is being investigated.. also suggestions that she was 'unduly influenced' by American player Wambach..
Abby unduly influenced the ref? She tried to point out the time being used? That's the norm. Players, and coaches, are constantly trying to influence the ref. A good ref considers the source & ignores them. They will still try their damndest to convince you of the rightness of their cause.

You've misinterpreted Law 12. There is no requirement for a warning. It's at the ref's discretion to do it or not. Most, if not all, will. It's a simple courtesy, not a requirement. The ref said she did & that her assistant also did before the start of the 2nd half. As I understand it the Canadian's don't agree.

On the 6 second ruling no yellow is issued. Law 12 states: "A player is cautioned and show a yellow card if he commits any of the following 7 offences:
#4) delaying the restart of play

This was not a restart. The ball was not a dead ball. It was in play. The section of Law 12 that applies is under Indirect Free Kick:

"An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area commits any of the following four offences:
- controls the ball with his hands for more than six second before releasing it from his possession
-touches the ball with his hands after he has released it.......
-touches the ball with his hands after being deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
-touches the ball with is hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team mate"

There is no yellow card mentioned in this section, thus, none is/was given. FTR, I do not agree with this call. Much leeway is given for this, especially in an Olympic semi-final. Except for this official.

here is the rule

12 states "handles the ball deliberately". So if the ball hits the player's body and then the player plays the ball deliberately, foul = direct free kick/penalty kick.
Ball hits player's hand/arm play on. A penalty is called if there is movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand) Which is why it was a bad call..

:blah:
Yes, Law 12 says this. However, what matters is the referees opinion of it all. In her opinion Megan Rapinoe did have the ball hit her body in the US's penalty are, despite the Canadian players trying to "unduly influence" her into calling a hand ball for a PK.

I am less sure of the PK call on Canada. It is known that one play for this type of free kick is to hit it into the wall in the hope that a hand ball will be called. The 1st Canadian player's hand was certainly there, but she was obviously too close to the play to move it away. The 2nd contact is quite problematical. Close to kick? Yes. Too close to move? That's the rub. After watching replays of the free kick several times I doubt if I'd have called a PK even though her arm was extended from her body. I feel she did not have time to readjust.

BUT, I was not on the field officiating. In the opinion of the game official, who did not have the benefit of replays, the arm being away from the body was the deciding fact, I guess, and her opinion, right or wrong, if we agree with her or not, is all that matters. From Law 5: "The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final."

NJL (...Congrats to Canada on the Bronze.....on a goal in added time, at that...:cheer:....:cheer2: ....)

NeilJLeonard
08-09-2012, 09:47 PM
USA 2 v 1 Japan. REDEMPTION!!!!!

NJL

Buzz
08-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Congrats to all the medalists and perhaps now all this unpleasantness can be forgotten.

4rkidz
08-10-2012, 05:03 AM
Congrats to all the medalists and perhaps now all this unpleasantness can be forgotten.

:D

NeilJLeonard
08-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Dupe deleted.

NeilJLeonard
08-10-2012, 08:16 AM
The pleasant thing to remember is that CONCACAF got a bronze and a gold out of this. Two of the three teams on the podium. Not bad...:cool:

And the next WWC in 2015 will be in Canada. Who's lining up for tickets if they go on sale now?...;)

NJL (...:cheer:...:cheer2:...)

Buzz
08-10-2012, 08:24 AM
The pleasant thing to remember is that CONCACAF got a bronze and a gold out of this. Two of the three teams on the podium. Not bad...:cool:

And the next WWC in 2015 will be in Canada. Who's lining up for tickets if they go on sale now?...;)

NJL (...:cheer:...:cheer2:...)

Hehehehe :hat1:

Buzz
08-11-2012, 04:33 PM
It is not looking good for Brazil right now. Oyyyyyyy 2-0