PDA

View Full Version : For all things Fútbol...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

KHenry14
08-07-2012, 01:24 AM
I can't stand this anymore, the USWNT gives me heartattacks! Truly one of the great matches I've ever seen.

ioana
08-07-2012, 01:31 AM
^:lol: Extra time was not for the faint of heart. Canada played v. well, I thought.

KHenry14
08-07-2012, 05:25 AM
^:lol: Extra time was not for the faint of heart. Canada played v. well, I thought.

Absolutely, their new coach is doing a terrific job. By far the best performance by a Canadian women's team ever.

But blowing three leads in one game was just too much to overcome.

NeilJLeonard
08-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Absolutely, their new coach is doing a terrific job. By far the best performance by a Canadian women's team ever.
Abby Wambach's comment about Ms Sinclair being the most under-rated player in the world was proven. She is a wonder. Tancredi ain't bad either. Kudos to the lot of 'em. They played the game of their lives in the best Women's international ever played, IMO. It was even better that USA v Brazil in the last WWC. Outstanding example of how good the game can be.

But blowing three leads in one game was just too much to overcome.
Only team USA, or possibly the Japanese, would or could overcome Christine Sinclair & Company's performance. She is a wonder. Still, team USA's depth finally got them the win. The fresh legs of USA sub Heather O'Reilly provided the cross that Alex Morgan buried in the 123rd minute for the win.

Remarkable game. Incredible finish. Truly a game for the ages.

NJL

Buzz
08-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Ouch... Canada is complaining loudly about that last PK call.

Buzz
08-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Mexico is in the gold medal final. GO BRAZIL!!!!!

KHenry14
08-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Ouch... Canada is complaining loudly about that last PK call.

Funny how you don't hear about Tancredi stomping on Lloyd's head from the Canadians now do you? Everyone knows Canada should have been down a player, yet that isn't mentioned as a bad call by the ref.

The PK looked good to me, and the ref had a very clear view of it, so I don't think there is much to complain about there. Now the keeper taking too long with the ball, there is an argument to be made there.

Bottomline to me, both sides had bad calls go against them. The Canadians should be more focused on how they gave up THREE leads in this game as the reason they lost, not the refs.

Buzz
08-07-2012, 09:05 PM
This Canadian agrees with you. They should focus on the bronze medal match.

KHenry14
08-07-2012, 09:12 PM
BTW, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Tancredi is suspended for the Bronze Medal game.

NeilJLeonard
08-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Funny how you don't hear about Tancredi stomping on Lloyd's head from the Canadians now do you? Everyone knows Canada should have been down a player, yet that isn't mentioned as a bad call by the ref.

The PK looked good to me, and the ref had a very clear view of it, so I don't think there is much to complain about there. Now the keeper taking too long with the ball, there is an argument to be made there.

Bottomline to me, both sides had bad calls go against them. The Canadians should be more focused on how they gave up THREE leads in this game as the reason they lost, not the refs.
I thought she stepped over the 18 yard line while punting the ball away(?). She's not the 1st to do that.

Odd that a Norwegian ref gave us a PK on a handball. One of those - a la T Henry - won a gold medal for Norway against us in 2000, I believe. Maybe a payback...;)

NJL

KHenry14
08-07-2012, 11:58 PM
I thought she stepped over the 18 yard line while punting the ball away(?). She's not the 1st to do that.

Odd that a Norwegian ref gave us a PK on a handball. One of those - a la T Henry - won a gold medal for Norway against us in 200, I believe. Maybe a payback...;)

NJL

She did both Neil! :0

You are right about the 2000 Olympics. The Norweigan striker clearly had a hand ball that put her between the two American defenders and allowed her to score on Mullinix. And yes, I'm still mad about that non-call! :mad:

NeilJLeonard
08-08-2012, 02:48 PM
She did both Neil! :0

You are right about the 2000 Olympics. The Norweigan striker clearly had a hand ball that put her between the two American defenders and allowed her to score on Mullinix. And yes, I'm still mad about that non-call!:mad:
Much like team USA used that to their advantage for several years, team Canada will use this event to their advantage, I'm sure. Robbed by the ref to give an undeserved win to the arrogant ones from the south? EVIL! EVIL! I say....;)

Every keeper now steps over the 18. It's routine. Like dissent or time wasting, it is rarely, if ever called.

NJL (....I'll be rooting for the red & white Maple Leaf to win the women's bronze...say what you will about the outcome of our match and their reaction or their rough play, they've played well enough in this tournament to deserve a medal....:)...).

NeilJLeonard
08-08-2012, 04:01 PM
BTW, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Tancredi is suspended for the Bronze Medal game.
Ain't gonna happen, KH. One of the Canadian players had a verbal confrontation w/the ref after the game. That's a no-no, too. FIFA has decided that any and all sanctions will be decided upon AFTER the bronze medal game.

Check on BS for particulars.

NJL

ioana
08-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Ain't gonna happen, KH. One of the Canadian players had a verbal confrontation w/the ref after the game. That's a no-no, too.

Agreed that it's unlikely anything will happen -even after the game. There was quite a bit of talk about the Spanish men's team being sanctioned (with Muniain singled out as one of the worst offenders) for surrounding the refs after the Honduras game, purposely bumping into them, initiating a fight with the Honduras subs at half time, etc. AFAIK nothing's happened. Yet.

NeilJLeonard
08-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Agreed that it's unlikely anything will happen -even after the game. There was quite a bit of talk about the Spanish men's team being sanctioned (with Muniain singled out as one of the worst offenders) for surrounding the refs after the Honduras game, purposely bumping into them, initiating a fight with the Honduras subs at half time, etc. AFAIK nothing's happened. Yet.
Yup. The laws of the game state that "A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the following 7 offenses:

#2 - shows dissent by word or action"

Of course, if it was used every time that dissent occurs we'd never finish a match because most of the players would be gone for 2 offenses on this alone. Still, IMO, the officials show far too much leniency in not enforcing this more often.

Also, Law 12 also requires a red card and a sending off for:

"#6 - using offensive, insulting or abusive language"

Most players are usually very correct in observing and obeying this, no matter their disagreement....;)

NJL