PDA

View Full Version : For all things Fútbol...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

KHenry14
09-12-2011, 04:53 PM
BTW, where is Freddie playing, hopefully not sitting...;)..., this season?

NJL

Neil, I can't believe you missed Freddie's triumphant return to MLS with the Philadelphia Union! :lol: Freddie's played in 5 games, started in 3, and has 1 goal and 0 assists. But he has two(!) yellow cards. LOL

Problem Freddie has is that the Union are bereft of offensive talent. So the lack of assists isn't surprising. Also, Freddie is likely not fully match fit yet, as he rarely plays the full 90. But IMO, he is playing and would make a good choice for the game in Miami.

P.S. Go Strikers!

NeilJLeonard
09-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Neil, I can't believe you missed Freddie's triumphant return to MLS with the Philadelphia Union! :lol: Freddie's played in 5 games, started in 3, and has 1 goal and 0 assists. But he has two(!) yellow cards. LOL

Problem Freddie has is that the Union are bereft of offensive talent. So the lack of assists isn't surprising. Also, Freddie is likely not fully match fit yet, as he rarely plays the full 90. But IMO, he is playing and would make a good choice for the game in Miami.
To be honest I did not know he was playing anywhere in MLS....:o...The last few years have been unkind to him & he's actually dropped out of my sight. Hopefully he'll get some minutes here, but I think he'll get more when we play Ecuador on Oct 11th at Red Bull Arena.

P.S. Go Strikers!
Thank you. The thought is appreciated. The same to the Galaxy when they play in Mexico today. Since he is so well loved there I hope Landon scores a hat trick.....:biggrinbo

I wonder if you'll say the same if the Strikers propel themselves into MLS some day? It's not out of the realm of possibility. And it is our dream here...:)

NJL

Buzz
09-13-2011, 04:19 PM
CL group stage games starts up today. Chelsea and Arsenal are amoung the clubs playing today. I want to see how Arsenal is going to do with all the new signings they made over the transfer season. My boys are in action tomorrow. :D

Buzz
09-13-2011, 11:01 PM
A good day for English football. Chelsea won 2-0 over Bayer while Arsenal dew 1-1 with Borussia. So if it was a good day for the English, it was not such a great day for German teams. Barca also drew 2-2 with AC Milan and Zenit lost 1-2 to that football powerhouse Apoel of Cyprus. Genk and Valencia drew 0-0, Porto beat Shakhtar 2-1, Olympic M beat Olympiacos 1-0, and Plzen and BATE also drew 1-1. Watched Barca v ACM and saw the sweetest set piece goal but David Villa.

KHenry14
09-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Since he is so well loved there I hope Landon scores a hat trick.....:biggrinbo

I wonder if you'll say the same if the Strikers propel themselves into MLS some day? It's not out of the realm of possibility. And it is our dream here...:)

NJL

LOL, yeah Landon has a big fan club south of the border! There are whistling like crazy when he has the ball.

Hey, it might be a couple of years, but south Florida has a history with soccer...the question is, can you get a stadium? No SS Stadium, no team.

NeilJLeonard
09-14-2011, 05:27 PM
LOL, yeah Landon has a big fan club south of the border! There are whistling like crazy when he has the ball.

Hey, it might be a couple of years, but south Florida has a history with soccer...the question is, can you get a stadium? No SS Stadium, no team.
Someone will have to do a rebuild or upgrade to Lockhart Stadium, the Strikers home for all 4 times they've existed in one league or another. The ownership of the place is complex. It is currently run by the Broward County School Board and is used for both HS football & soccer when the Strikers are not playing. It is also used for some international soccer matches when the Dolphins Stadium is in use. If upgraded it would be a very good MLS stadium, but a shared one.

Since the Marlins committed highway robbery to get the Orange Bowl destroyed and their new super stadium built on the same spot at public expense I can't see any new stadium of any size being built in South Florida by any political entity for decades. It will be privately built, like the Dolphin's stadium, or not at all. Plus, land is an issue, too. Broward County is built out. There's nothing else available unless something existing is destroyed. Anywhere else is problematical at best. Palm beach County is many miles from Miami-Dade and Miami-Dade is where teams go to die, there is little support there for gringo soccer. Some folks there are actually fighting to destroy the Strikers so Beckham can come to Miami when he retires & start his own MLS team there. Yes, they are that deluded.

We'll see how it works out. I feel that eventually we'll get into MLS, but it will be years before we find someone that is willing to lay down the $$$ to get it going. Plus, we need to show that we can support a team here. That's why the idiocy shown in Miami-Dade is so stupid. They want MLS, but refuse to do the primary thing needed to bring it back: support the sport by supporting their local team.

NJL

Buzz
09-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Saw Man U draw 1-1 with Benfica thanks to Ryan Giggs. The guy is still going strong at 37 and kudos to him but I would have preferred a Man U win. :shuffle:

Buzz
09-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Here are today's CL results:

Man City + Napoli = 1-1
Villareal + Bayern = 0-2
Lille + CSKA M. = 2-2
Inter + Treb = 0-1 :eek:
Basel + Oţelul = 2-1
Benfica + Man U = 1-1
Zagred + Real = 0-1
Ajax + Lyon = 0-0 :yawn:

Buzz
09-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Manchester United have been cleared to list on the Singapore stock exchange. I am totally convinced this is just another money grab by it's owners the Glazer family and little or non of that money will find it's way to the team.

Buzz
09-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Man U plays Chelsea today and as I type this we lead 3-1. :D Arsenal played Blackburn and thanks partly to two own goals lost 3-4. They have only five points so far this season and better start improving soon. Meanwhile in Spain Barca trashed Osasuna 8-0!! :wideeyes:

NeilJLeonard
09-19-2011, 06:14 PM
For The Record (and FWIW...;)...): The Strikers 1-1 tie on Saturday coupled with FC Edmonton's loss to Montreal means that the Strikers will play a home playoff game on October 1st at Lockhart Stadium. They are currently 4th in the league and, with a huge touch of luck, could finish as high as 3rd. The 3rd & 4th place teams get a 1 game quarter final game. A win gives them a home & home against the 1st or 2nd place team who get a quarter final bye.

I've got my fingers crossed on this. In a playoff for a championship in any sport anything can happen. Hopefully its a good 'anything' for the red & yellow hoops.

NJL

Buzz
09-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Oh yeah and Toronto beat Colorado this weekend 2-1! hehehe

Buzz
09-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Inter Milan is looking for a new coach. No surprise there.

jtpc
09-22-2011, 12:54 AM
New FIFA World Rankings were released today.

Canada's MNT earned more points in the last month than any other CONCACAF country. :cheer2: Their 76 points in the last month propels them up 15 places, from 102nd to 87th. :P

Look out Cyprus. Don't get too comfortable in 86th. You're next to be overtaken. :D

NeilJLeonard
09-22-2011, 01:26 PM
New FIFA World Rankings were released today.

Canada's MNT earned more points in the last month than any other CONCACAF country. :cheer2: Their 76 points in the last month propels them up 15 places, from 102nd to 87th. :P

Look out Cyprus. Don't get too comfortable in 86th. You're next to be overtaken. :D

CONCACAF's top 3: Mexico = 20, USA = 31, Jamaica = 45.

NJL