PDA

View Full Version : For all things Fútbol...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

reese
07-18-2011, 01:10 AM
Chill out, guys. None of the Americans were disrespectful at all during any of the post-game activities. I was watching closely.

allezfred
07-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Didn't say the American players were disrespectful, bek. Just that it would have been nice for the photographers to see anything other than the skary death stares that the two individual players who received awards had on their faces. :yikes:

Just an observation. I doubt the players in question would give a shit what I have to say though. ;)

MarieM
07-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Why smile when you lose THE big game ????
I'd rather see them cry than smile, because I understand the feeling. As long as they show sportsmanship ;)

I was rooting for the japanese team, so I'm pretty happy they won :)

NeilJLeonard
07-18-2011, 12:11 PM
:mad: So we'll tear your guts out after losing your life's dream, which was twice within scant minutes of realization ... then see how brightly you smile a abruptlyy afterward. Fair enough?
Especially when they realize that they coulda & shoulda, but didn't. Congrats to Japan for the win, but the USA shot themselves in the foot & did nothing to help their cause at the end. A sweet win for Japan. A brutal, brutal loss for the USA.

I missed Abby's interview, but saw most of Hope's. She seemed near tears, but was gracious throughout. Was very profuse in her praise of the Japanese team & said that she was glad that if the USA had to lose to anyone that it was Japan because of all the country and players have been through. She showed true class.

Now comes Olympic qualifying. The USA is one of 8 CONCACAF teams playing for 2 spots. I honestly wonder if they can overcome this and even qualify. We'll see.

NJL

ETA: Olympic qualifying in Vancouver, BC, Jan 19-29, 2012. Six teams in so far: USA, Canada, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Cuba & Haiti. Two more to come from Central America. Consensus seems to be the 2 qualifiers will be the USA & someone else. We'll see.

MINAM
07-19-2011, 12:42 AM
Um (clears throat).....WE ARE NO.1!!!!!

Great game girls!!!!!!

chipso1
07-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Are the only teams qualified to the 2012 Games so far (women's side): England (host country), Sweden and France? Or is there a more complete list somewhere?

ETA: Nevermind, I see Brazil and Colombia are in as well (on the women's side).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics

Buzz
07-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Paraguay plays Venezuela to decide who will play Uruguay in the Copa America final today. Venezuela has done extremely well so far and has been a surprised to me. Good luck to them.

Buzz
07-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Uruguay will play Paraguay for the Copa America title and tumbs up to Venezuela for making them work for it! Also congratulations to Japan on winning the women's title and condolences to Neil, Henry and all other US women's fans. :)

NeilJLeonard
07-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Uruguay will play Paraguay for the Copa America title and tumbs up to Venezuela for making them work for it! Also congratulations to Japan on winning the women's title and condolences to Neil, Henry and all other US women's fans. :)
Thanks...:)

Odd things seem to be happening. The return of most of the USWNT to the WPS seems to have given this stumbling league a huge boost. Last nights match between Western NY Flash and magicJack (formerly the Washington Freedom) drew the largest paid attendance in league history - over 14,000 fans. Of course this game had the return of hometown player Abby Wambach plus 6 other USWNT players from magicJack along with Flash's USWNT player Alex Morgan, Brazil's Marta & Canada's Christine Sinclair. We'll see if this is just a flash-in-the-pan or if the WWC actually has won fans for women's soccer here in North America.

I hope it does, but we'll see what happens now until this 6 team league finishes play in the fall. For one, the match between MJ & the Flash at MJ's home field - FAU's soccer "stadium" on it's main campus in Boca Raton, FL - can hold 3,000 people at most. SRO means you've got to sit on the grass surrounding the pitch. They'll have to add more port-a-potties, too. To call it low cost & low key is to understate....;)

I just hope that the WWC energizes the league enough to help it survive. Or to help any successor to survive. To remain competitive the US needs a high level league to feed the USWNT. Without one we may never again reach the final 4 in a WWC, let alone add another star above the USSF Crest on their uniform. We'll see.

NJL

Buzz
07-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Uruguay has won it's 15th Copa America title with a nice 3-0 victory over Paraguay. Saw the whole match and Saurez and Forlan were both fantastic. A wonderful match and perhaps a sign of things to come in the wider football world. Peru was 3rd with a 4-1 victory over Venezuela but the fact that Venezuela even got this far a great accomplishment for them and perhaps this country is finally becoming a force to be reckoned with in the football world.

Buzz
07-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Argentina is again looking for a new coach! LOL

KHenry14
07-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Argentina is again looking for a new coach! LOL

I know a nice American coach they can have, a guy who took his team to the second round in the WC.... :lol:

NeilJLeonard
07-27-2011, 01:41 PM
I know a nice American coach they can have, a guy who took his team to the second round in the WC.... :lol:
They don't want him...;)

I don't think all of our problems are coach related. How did Mexico do in the last U-17 WC? Who got buried by the Germans in the 1st KO round? It seems that the talent level is showing a huge, huge gap. So huge that no coach can overcome it.

Plus, we've been just good enough for just long enough that no one takes us as a joke anymore. They take great joy in whuppin' us, even if we do seem to be less than we were a few years ago. This may be a tough decade for team USA and it's fans....:(

NJL

KHenry14
07-28-2011, 02:52 AM
I agree NJL, the USMNT problems aren't just because of Bradley, although I think he's part of the issue. But player development is a big issue too. I mean, a country the size of the USA, with all those AYSO and club teams should easily produce more talent than we are. So the question is, why aren't we? I think part of the problem is a lack of a detailed plan from Gulati and US Soccer to develop players. This is Jurgen Klinsman's big complaint about US Soccer, and I think he has a point.

BTW, one wonders if the USA's relative dominance over El Tri in the last decade got the Mexican's attention to development. And it's really paying off for them now.

KHenry14
07-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Well, how about this: http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/usa/story/Bradley-out-as-manager-of-US-Mens-National-soccer-team-072811

Gulati finally saw the light. Now, what happens next is CRUCIAL to the long term development of the program. Problem is, I have no confidence in Gulati leading that development.