PDA

View Full Version : For all things Fútbol...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

reese
07-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Can't believe the US blew that. I'm a huge Pia Sundhage fan, but I'm not sure I would have picked that same PK lineup, especially Shannon Boxx and Tobin Heath. Brutal loss. Feel awful for Abby Wambach. Hope she's still around in 4 years.

NeilJLeonard
07-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Go Japan! Great team playing the most attractive football of the tounament. Well deserved win for them.
Gift wrapped, but they were not the one's to choke under pressure. That alone makes them deserving.

NJL (...ETA:...and, that was one of the greatest red cards in the history of the sport...definite taking one for the team...:(...)

chipso1
07-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Feel awful for Abby Wambach. Hope she's still around in 4 years.

This. She's the player I feel the most sorry for. :( She's had an amazing tournament; I hope she kicks butt in London next year and is still around in 2015!

SpeedySucks
07-17-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm devastated for the U.S.--I really wanted them to win this match. Japan played a fantastic tournament though and truly deserves the title. They had to beat Germany, Sweden, and the U.S. to win--that's an amazing feat for them.

After all of the drama, I feel bad that this U.S. team is probably going to be remembered for choking in the final. A week ago at this time, it looked like they were out of the tournament, so I hope everyone remembers the Brazil match instead of this loss.

oleada
07-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Japan! Great win for them :cheer: I found they had the most attractive game of any of the teams.

YukiNieve
07-17-2011, 11:22 PM
I am so proud of Nadeshiko team !!

Beefcake
07-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Jaysus, you'd think the bronze and silver ball winners could fake a smile for the photographs. Alissa Czisny will be disappointed in them. :D
I didn't catch the ceremony, so I'm commenting blind. But I gotta.

:mad: So we'll tear your guts out after losing your life's dream, which was twice within scant minutes of realization ... then see how brightly you smile a abruptlyy afterward. Fair enough?

Sweden, yes, maybe they should manage a smile. It's been days since their ultimate dream died, and since they were kind've pummeled in that SF "and" have won a game since to rescue some glory, they should maybe enjoy that they've had some success at this WC.

But, as long as the American women been cordial and deferential to the WC winners, I wouldn't hold even hold a Surya "this silver medal is burning my neck and must come off" moment against them.

SpeedySucks
07-17-2011, 11:46 PM
FWIW, both Abby and Hope gave very gracious interviews on ESPN after the match.

IceAlisa
07-17-2011, 11:48 PM
:fragile: and :wuzrobbed

allezfred
07-17-2011, 11:50 PM
I didn't catch the ceremony, so I'm commenting blind. But I gotta.

:mad: So we'll tear your guts out after losing your life's dream, which was twice within scant minutes of realization ... then see how brightly you smile a abruptlyy afterward. Fair enough?

Smile (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu-rLA4POkI) though your heart is aching, smile even though it's breaking..... :D

Gil-Galad
07-17-2011, 11:52 PM
:mad: So we'll tear your guts out after losing your life's dream, which was twice within scant minutes of realization ... then see how brightly you smile a abruptlyy afterward.

I didn't notice it much anyway, it wasn't bad. Yes, they didn't look overjoyed, but who would? There was lots of sportswomanship all around, from countries that are famous for this kind of spirit (I think that lots of US-athletes and Japanese are among the fairest and most gracious sports(wo)men, gracious in defeat and victory).

kittyjake5
07-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Congrats to Japan. First Asian team to win the World Cup.

bek
07-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Smile (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu-rLA4POkI) though your heart is aching, smile even though it's breaking..... :D

That's ridiculous, as long as they were respectful to the winners, let it be. I could be wrong but I don't recall you being one of the few criticizing Mao for being sad when she won OSM.. And Mao did look sad. Why was it okay for Mao to look sad but not the US women. And I thought the criticisms against Mao were ridiculous BTW. But I don't think its right to say that when your team/player wins the opposite team needs to look happy but when your team/player loses its okay if they look sad.
The US women congratulated the Japanese team, and its not like they have been screaming "robbed etc." Why do they have to act all fake. Oh yeah we are thrilled we blew it. Or for Mao, yeah I'm thrilled I lost the big one to my rival. I'm just so happy for my rival.. I don't care that I lost out on my life dream. Pleeeasse.

As long as the athletes are respectful to the winners like the US was to the Japan, and Asada was to Kim, let them be disappointed. Its a real emotion, this is their life dream. They aren't actresses.
Oh and yeah Japan, I thought their goal keeper did a great job in the PKs.

Lacey
07-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Maybe I missed it, but the only American I saw shake the hands of the Japanese was Abbi Wambach.

bek
07-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Maybe I missed it, but the only American I saw shake the hands of the Japanese was Abbi Wambach.

Oh I thought I saw it. If they didn't that's disrespectful obviously. I'm the type who as long as the players congratulate the winner and are respectful, I'm fine with them looking sad/disappointed. And I would imagine the winners, have no problem with the people they just beat looking disappointed either, because they also know what its like to lose big matches/how hard their opponents worked.

And the US players have said in interviews that if they had to lose they are glad it was to Japan.