PDA

View Full Version : For all things Fútbol...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

reese
07-09-2011, 10:24 PM
I can't believe Germany is out. Unreal. It's always a bit sad on some level when the home team goes out, but this was totally unforeseen! The German home crowd support has warmed my dark, cynical heart.

NeilJLeonard
07-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Only 3 teams have ever won the WWC: Germany, Norway & the USA. Two of those 3 are now gone. Hopefully the 3rd on will hang around for a bit longer...;)

NJL

KHenry14
07-10-2011, 12:29 AM
A great win by the Japanese women. Well deserved in every aspect. They denied the Germans any good opportunites and took advantage one of the few chances they did have.

And the French got past a game English side, despite having had to use their backup keeper. And the Brits extend their country's dismal performance in penalty shootouts. ;)

NeilJLeonard
07-10-2011, 03:22 AM
A great win by the Japanese women. Well deserved in every aspect. They denied the Germans any good opportunites and took advantage one of the few chances they did have.

And the French got past a game English side, despite having had to use their backup keeper. And the Brits extend their country's dismal performance in penalty shootouts. ;)
Be it known that France did not beat the Brits in the PK shootout. The Brits beat themselves. The English GK saved the 1st shot by France. All they had to do from then on was make all of their shots to win. The French keeper did not make a save. The last two players for England flat out missed their shots to lose the game for their side. That is a tough, tough way to exit the WWC.

My congratulations to France. My heartfelt condolences to England.

NJL

NeilJLeonard
07-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Sweden 3 v 1 Australia. Not unexpected. No comments on the game since I slept through the match.

Next is USA v Brazil. The USA has beaten Brazil 4 straight times since the 4-0 thrashing Brazil gave them in the last WWC, all 1-0, BTW. We'll see what the 2 teams can do today.

NJL

Gil-Galad
07-10-2011, 04:33 PM
And 1-0 for the US-girls.

The keeper for the US is gorgeous.

oleada
07-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Heh. That's exactly what we were saying. She looks like a model.

OlieRow
07-10-2011, 05:53 PM
And she just kept her team in this game!

WTF?! YELLOW FOR SOLO! HORRRRIBLE CALL.

ETA: The PK/red card call will be a bit controversial as is (but definitely understandable) but then to take the save away? That could very well be the game. US loses a player, their lead, and suffers a big mental blow. Can't wait to hear what Solo has to say after the game...

FSfan107
07-10-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm just totally disgusted by the refs!!! :mad:

They are trying to hand this game to Brazil.

Gil-Galad
07-10-2011, 06:01 PM
I hate it when the referees have the penalties repeated, I remember this international men's game where it was the other way around; the player actually scored the first time, but the referee had the penalty repeated because of some minor thing too - and the second time the player missed.

They are trying to hand this game to Brazil.
I doubt that. This is not figure skating and nobody has in interest in keeping the US out of the semifinal. I think it's just a case of a rather chaotic game and a referee that seems to be in over her head a little.

OlieRow
07-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Up to this point thought it'd been a pretty well officiated game, if not a tad in favor of the US. The Lloyd handball no-call could have been a 2nd yellow if the official wanted to give it and the US drew a few fouls that could've been uncalled.

ETA: One thing Solo needs to be careful with is coming out of the box when she punts the ball. It'd be reminiscent of WWC '91 when Scury got ejected and Mia Hamm ended up having to finish the game in goal. I wouldn't expect it to get called, but with the PK call and her yellow, I wouldn't risk it.

FSfan107
07-10-2011, 06:10 PM
I doubt that. This is not figure skating and nobody has in interest in keeping the US out of the semifinal. I think it's just a case of a rather chaotic game and a referee that seems to be in over her head a little.

Sorry, you're right. I shouldn't have said that. It was an emotional response.

OlieRow
07-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Well the US didn't self destruct... They look like the more fit side and have been playing with a lot of composure, but will that be enough to overcome being a player down? They've done far better today than I expected.

Ahh so the call wasn't on Solo but another player who came into the box too soon. That's a bit of a relief. Not to get ahead of things, but if it goes to PK's then I'd say the US would have the advantage with Solo. I was worried that the call could get into her head if there was a shootout, but it doesn't look like she'll start over thinking her approach.

ETA: SIGH, beautiful goal from Marta.

Gil-Galad
07-10-2011, 06:35 PM
The Brazilians do have some absolutely brilliant technicians, I am amazed by those dancing skills they have. But they seem to be a bit all over the place in other areas, just a little unorganised.

OlieRow
07-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Not that I'm complaining, but the US is getting far to many good looks being a player down.

ETA: Thank you ref for giving the Brazilian a card for getting off the stretcher and sprinting back onto the field...