PDA

View Full Version : For all things Fútbol...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

NeilJLeonard
07-01-2011, 07:37 PM
England 2 v 1 New Zealand in the most interesting match so far. NZ scored early, their 1st ever lead in a WWC, and fought like mad to hang on. England scored 2 in the 2nd half for a hard fought come from behind win. Group B has Japan advancing & playing England next. NZ is out & plays Mexico next. If England beats Japan by any score they will advance. If England falters & Mexico beats a tough NZ squad that will certainly want to go out on a high note, then Mexico could advance, but, Mexico has to win by a ton of goals (3?, 4?) and I'm not certain they can get that many against NZ.

We'll see.

Next is Group C. It the USA wins over Colombia they will advance. They may need to run up the score against the Colombians to insure they finish 1st in Group. I'm certain the Colombians will do whatever it take to not allow that...;)

I do expect Sweden to beat NK. We'll see what that score is before we make any judgment on USA v Sweden. I expect both to advance, the question is which team will win the Group. That will probably be decided when they play each other in the last Group game.

NJL (...let the fun continue...:D...)

NeilJLeonard
07-02-2011, 05:51 PM
USA 1 v 0 Colombia at the half. Total USA dominance, but unable to score. It could/should be at least 3-0. It isn't. Nothing new.

Sweden 1 v 0 NK. The Koreans gave a good effort. Sweden got the goal they needed to win.

More to follow....;)

NJL

OlieRow
07-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Oh Abby..... US looking better today but they've really got to work on finishing.

NeilJLeonard
07-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Group C
USA 3 v 0 Colombia
Sweden 1 v 0 NK

The USA could have had 5 goals in this game, but the post or crossbar got in the way of at least 2. As it is they got the win and the score that they wanted to stay 1st in group on goal diff.

USA & Sweden will advance & play for 1st in Group on Wednesday. USA in 1st place now with a +5 to +2 goal advantage.

Colombia & NK are out & will play each other before leaving.

Next up is group D.

NJL

ETA: The USA has 2 wins against 2 of the weaker teams in the tournament. Starting w/Sweden they'll play far better opposition. The Sweden game will give us a far better idea how good they are. A loss pits them against Brazil & a probable trip home. A win gives them a game against Norway, a team that beat the USA 3-1 recently. We'll see what we'll see.

KHenry14
07-02-2011, 09:00 PM
The USA could have had 5 goals in this game, but the post or crossbar got in the way of at least 2.

At a minimum it should have been 5 goals, more likely 7 IMO. Still, they did take advantage of the weak opposition in the second half. But they are still in search of a complete, sound performance.

The USA does have the talent to go all the way, but for that to happen they need to get better in all aspects.

NeilJLeonard
07-03-2011, 01:03 PM
At a minimum it should have been 5 goals, more likely 7 IMO. Still, they did take advantage of the weak opposition in the second half. But they are still in search of a complete, sound performance.

The USA does have the talent to go all the way, but for that to happen they need to get better in all aspects.

Maybe...;)

NJL (...BTW, check out the USA women's forums on Big Soccer. They've got a hot & heavy thread going on the lack of diversity on the USA's team. They use France and England as counter-point examples. And much of it seems to echo your comments on how youth development works in the USA...:cool:...)

KHenry14
07-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Well, they hit two posts, plus Abby had chance after chance. Had Abby been the Abby we've seen in the past, it would have been 7-0. Why she's in this scoring slump is beyond me...

OlieRow
07-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Well, they hit two posts, plus Abby had chance after chance. Had Abby been the Abby we've seen in the past, it would have been 7-0. Why she's in this scoring slump is beyond me...

I have a gut feeling that once she breaks through, she's really going to break out. Maybe she can get one against Sweden and then have it carry over to the knock out rounds. Couldn't help but laugh with some of her missed chances yesterday!

Buzz
07-04-2011, 04:35 AM
Brazil has started it's Copa America title defense with a 0-0 tie against Venezuela. VENEZUELA!!! :wuzrobbed

NeilJLeonard
07-05-2011, 07:14 PM
England 2 v 0 Japan ...:eek:...to win the Group.

Mexico 2 v 2 New Zealand...Mexico score 2 in the 1st half & NZ scores one in the 90th & another in the 94th...:wideeyes:...to tie for their 1st WWC point ever....:kickass:

More to follow tomorrow.

NJL

ETA: Heather O'Reilly & Abby Wambach have not practiced with the USA since the last game. Both will probably miss, or at least not start, against Sweden.

KHenry14
07-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Kudos to the Kiwi women for their huge comeback.

While USA really would like to beat Sweden, saving Abby and Heather for the knock-out rounds is probbly prudent. Besides, Rapinoe and Morgan are pretty good subs. And a Morgan/Rodriguez front like will put a lot of pressure on the Swedish back 4 with their pace. That should be an interesting match-up tomorrow.

KHenry14
07-05-2011, 08:58 PM
BTW, that Marie-Laure Delie is one heck of a striker that the French have found. Eye of the Tiger in that one...

NeilJLeonard
07-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Germany 4 v 2 France.

Germany plays Japan in the Quarters. France plays England.

Nigeria leads Canada 1 - 0.

ETA: And wins it 1-0. Both of the 2 top qualifiers from CONCACAF can head home and prep for the next Olympics. CONCACAF only gets 2 spots in that. The OLY qualifying tournament, in Vancouver in January(?), I think, should be a dog fight.

On to the final 2 opening round games tomorrow....:)

NJL

NeilJLeonard
07-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Brazil 3 v 0 Equitorial Guinea
Australia 2 v 1 Norway

Brazil wins the Group and will play the loser of USA v Sweden.
Australia finishes 2nd and will play the winner of USA v Sweden. This is the 1st time Norway has not advanced out of Group play.

The word is that Abby Wambach will start for the USA despite a bad ankle/foot and a yellow card.

NJL

KHenry14
07-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Brazil 3 v 0 Equitorial Guinea
Australia 2 v 1 Norway

Brazil wins the Group and will play the loser of USA v Sweden.
Australia finishes 2nd and will play the winner of USA v Sweden. This is the 1st time Norway has not advanced out of Group play.

The word is that Abby Wambach will start for the USA despite a bad ankle/foot and a yellow card.

NJL

Brazil had their hands for for the first half, but then their talent won out.

Congrats to the Aussies, clearly their program is headed in the right direction. Not so for Norway I'm afraid.

I'd be shocked if Abby plays in the second half, unless the team is behind badly.