PDA

View Full Version : For all things Fútbol...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

KHenry14
06-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Alex, I understand what you are saying. My son plays for a nice club team, and it's going to cost us over 2K(!) to keep him on the team for the year. Which is ridiculous if you ask me. if we hadn't got a good tax refund, i'd likely have to tell my son we couldn't afford to have him play on the team, and no Dad wants to tell his kid that. This just isn't the best way to go about this IMO.

UMBS Go Blue
06-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Women's World Cup vBet here: :bribe:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79311

skipaway
06-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Very weird, if it's true...:yikes:
North Korea's excuse for losing to USA (http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/North-Korea-blames-loss-to-U-S-on-players-getti?urn=sow-wp2852)

OlieRow
06-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Very weird, if it's true...:yikes:
North Korea's excuse for losing to USA (http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/North-Korea-blames-loss-to-U-S-on-players-getti?urn=sow-wp2852)

Bizarre. I watched the game last night (yay for DVRs!) and was impressed with how North Korea played, especially in the first half. I haven't followed the women's national team much since 2004-2005, but I hope they can find a way to be consistent here. They had some defensive breakdowns that a more experienced team would've capitalized on.

Did anyone see the commentary about Solo's comments in 2007 re: Scurry's performance against Brazil? Briana Scurry and Tony DiCicco were asked about it and they seemed to call her out on national TV for not being a team player. Scurry was actually asked how she was as a teammate since she's the GM of her pro team and she seemed to evade that part of the question. I've noticed Tony has made a few comments about team chemistry and females typically needing to get along well off the field to maximize performance on it. I'm out of the loop, does this team have a lot of drama?

Oh and I can't believe it's been 12 years since 1999...

NeilJLeonard
06-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Bizarre. I watched the game last night (yay for DVRs!) and was impressed with how North Korea played, especially in the first half. I haven't followed the women's national team much since 2004-2005, but I hope they can find a way to be consistent here. They had some defensive breakdowns that a more experienced team would've capitalized on.

Did anyone see the commentary about Solo's comments in 2007 re: Scurry's performance against Brazil? Briana Scurry and Tony DiCicco were asked about it and they seemed to call her out on national TV for not being a team player. Scurry was actually asked how she was as a teammate since she's the GM of her pro team and she seemed to evade that part of the question. I've noticed Tony has made a few comments about team chemistry and females typically needing to get along well off the field to maximize performance on it. I'm out of the loop, does this team have a lot of drama?

Oh and I can't believe it's been 12 years since 1999...
Very little drama, from what I see & what I've heard...:)

NJL (..not so with Solo's / Scurry's club team. It, magicJack, is a farce...:(...)

KHenry14
06-29-2011, 07:16 PM
The issue with the USWNT isn't drama, frankly that Solo issue was dealt with a long time ago. The issue was that Hope was right, she should have been in there, and the whole world knew it. But she shouldn't have said it. Why or how that would impact this current team three years later is a mystery.

What isn't a mystery is the poor play in midfield by the US Women. Boxx and Lloyd were TERRIBLE, and if they play like that against the Germans they will get torched. However, the USWNT is very dangerous with 3 quality strikers. The question really is, will they score enough to coverup for defensive weaknesses? Against NK, Swe, Col, the answer is yes. Against anyone else??? Hmmm...

NeilJLeonard
06-29-2011, 07:45 PM
The issue with the USWNT isn't drama, frankly that Solo issue was dealt with a long time ago. The issue was that Hope was right, she should have been in there, and the whole world knew it. But she shouldn't have said it. Why or how that would impact this current team three years later is a mystery.

What isn't a mystery is the poor play in midfield by the US Women. Boxx and Lloyd were TERRIBLE, and if they play like that against the Germans they will get torched. However, the USWNT is very dangerous with 3 quality strikers. The question really is, will they score enough to coverup for defensive weaknesses? Against NK, Swe, Col, the answer is yes. Against anyone else??? Hmmm...
Yet, they are considered one of the best central MidField Combos in the world. Hopefully, they have the poor play out of their systems and can perform better from here on out.

The only questions about Solo are her physical abilities since her shoulder operation last year. She did wince a time or 2 against NK when she had to move the right arm above her head. It is something to watch as the tournament progresses. Until the injury she was considered the top female keeper now playing - check her performance in the last Olympics - and she has not played that much since the operation. If she is back to her old form she alone can keep the USA in this WWC. At her best she is that good.

Brazil 1 v 0 Australia. Australia had their chances during the game but insisted on missing the goal...:rolleyes:

Rosana's goal for Brazil was remarkable. SOP Brazilian gem.

NJL (...after all teams have had their opening games only Germany looks like a champion thus far....we'll see how the group round plays out to really know who the contenders actually are, but, it looks like we may have the most even WWC ever in Germany if you compare all the final scores from round one of the Group stage...:)...)

OlieRow
06-30-2011, 01:08 AM
Thanks for answering my questions.

(...after all teams have had their opening games only Germany looks like a champion thus far....we'll see how the group round plays out to really know who the contenders actually are, but, it looks like we may have the most even WWC ever in Germany if you compare all the final scores from round one of the Group stage...:)...)

It's really remarkable how the women's game has developed and things have evened out. I remember being at Giant Stadium for the games in 1999 many were sooo lopsided. Hopefully the close games will continue throughout the tournament (and I'll have time to follow...)

Buzz
06-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Copa American starts tomorrow and ends on July 24th. I most certainly will be watching and wondering if I will get a Brazil v Argentina final. :hat1:

kylet3
06-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Canada was miserable today at the Women's World Cup. Couldn't string together more than a single pass. Sheer and bloody pathetic effort, I'm dismayed at them and it's another first round exit for Canada :blah:

NeilJLeonard
07-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Canada was miserable today at the Women's World Cup. Couldn't string together more than a single pass. Sheer and bloody pathetic effort, I'm dismayed at them and it's another first round exit for Canada :blah:
The reason they looked so pathetic is that France was simply 4 goals better than they were. I'll admit that I was surprised by France's 4-0 demolition of Canada, but they were, player for player, position by position a team that was that much better. They are in 1st place in the group and Germany trails them by 3 goals going into the final group game against France. They have to beat France to win the group. They might. They might not. Both will advance, but France looked good enough to beat Germany. I'm shocked I just posted that, but it's true. The French team is a very good team. They look like contenduhs...;)

Germany was fortunate to defeat Nigeria 1-0, because the Nigerians beat the shit out of the Geman players. I've never seen so many fouls allowed in one game in my life. Germany showed class by not responding in kind. They were lucky to escape with a 1-0 win and their lives. OTOH, the German players were taken out of their game by the close marking by the Nigerians. Something for other teams to think about, but please do it with a lot more skill and finesse.

My sympathy to Canada for not advancing. My best to them in their last game of the tournament against a Nigerian team that is also not advancing.

Group A is over even if there is one more round of games to go. Now on to Group B tomorrow to see what transpires there.

NJL

KHenry14
07-01-2011, 05:42 AM
I can't believe how far the French women have come. It's not just Abily anymore. They are VERY dangerous up top, and they will give the Germans fits trying to defend them.

The Nigerian women have always played a brutal game, but this is almost too much. The Germans are lucky that no one got hurt. One wonders if the reason Prinz got pulled early in the 2nd was because they didnt want her to get hurt. If the Nigerians had anyone who could score, they could have got a draw. Germany better raise their game a bit if they hope to go far in this tournament.

NeilJLeonard
07-01-2011, 04:11 PM
First the #1 CONCACAF team, Canada, gets a 4-0 whuppin' from France, now CONCACAF's #2, Mexico, gets the same 4-0 ass kicking from Japan. Normally anything bad happening to any team from Mexico delights me, but this one bothers me beyond the fact that several members of the Mexican team are US citizens &, like several Canadians, play for, or have played for, US Universities or come up through the US youth system. More & more it seems like CONCACAF is becoming irrelevant at the international level of the sport. It looks like we're going to have to take a long hard look at that system ASAP if we wish to keep up with the Euros, Brazil & Japan in the future. It seems that the world hasn't just caught up with us, they may have passed us.

We'll see as the tournament progresses, but with Canada out & Mexico needing all kinds of help to have any hope of moving on to the knock out stage CONCACAF ain't doin' all that well.

NJL (...it's at the stage that USA!....USA!....USA! may actually become the only cheer for anyone in CONCACAF, let alone for US fans....:eek:...)

oleada
07-01-2011, 04:14 PM
It's really sad that the US has so little depth that the loss of one starter can have such an impact. My sons have played club and ODP soccer in Oklahoma for a few years, and I have to say that our development system is horrible. There is too much emphasis at a young age on winning rather than improving individual skill, and it's ridiculous how expensive a sport that only requires shoes, a ball, and an open space can be. We have a large Mexican-American population here, and most of those kids just play in small sided indoor leagues because they don't have the money for all the travel and fees. As far as I can tell, no one ever scouts those matches, and we are definitely excluding some big talent by just considering the affluent, suburban Anglo kids who are mainly targeting an athletic scholarship rather than a professional career.

I couldn't agree more with this point :respec:

Who's ready for Copa America to start?! :cheer: My brother and I will probably head to a bar to watch the opening game tonight.

Wiery
07-01-2011, 05:02 PM
We have a large Mexican-American population here, and most of those kids just play in small sided indoor leagues because they don't have the money for all the travel and fees. As far as I can tell, no one ever scouts those matches, and we are definitely excluding some big talent by just considering the affluent, suburban Anglo kids who are mainly targeting an athletic scholarship rather than a professional career. Hopefully, the new Development Academy approach will bear fruit, but it's going to take some time. Until then, we will have to get used to some butt-kickings like last night.

This is sooo true...the scouts need to find these kids; some of the school teams in the outlying towns near Huntsville had a large contingent of the Mexican-American kids; their ball handling skills were far superior and they played a more sophisticated game than our team, which had primarily club team and ODP players.