PDA

View Full Version : For all things Fútbol...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

NeilJLeonard
06-01-2011, 07:49 AM
BAH! I hope Barca losses to Rubin Kazan again next CL season. :P
Me, too....:biggrinbo

KHenry14
06-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Villa is making noises about making Michael Bradley's loan permanent. This despite the fact that he saw the pitch only three times as a sub.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us-national-team/2011/05/30/2509748/report-aston-villa-opens-up-negotiations-for-borussia

Funny, the article insinuates that they did that deliberately to keep his price down. :rolleyes:

NeilJLeonard
06-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Villa is making noises about making Michael Bradley's loan permanent. This despite the fact that he saw the pitch only three times as a sub.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us-national-team/2011/05/30/2509748/report-aston-villa-opens-up-negotiations-for-borussia

Funny, the article insinuates that they did that deliberately to keep his price down. :rolleyes:
We often forget that this is first & foremost a business. And an American run one at that (everything is subordinate to the 'bottom line'). Hopefully Bradley comes out ahead in this.

KHenry14
06-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Horrible performance for the USMNT against the Spanish. It was almost like the USA was intimidated by the World Champs, and it showed in their play. Lots of ball watching. Better inthe second half when Bradley and Dempsey got on the pitch, but even so, they should have played much, much better.

BTW, NJL, the USMNT since the WC has a losing record. I wonder if the boys are starting to tune BB out? the next couple of weeks should tell that tale

NeilJLeonard
06-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Horrible performance for the USMNT against the Spanish. It was almost like the USA was intimidated by the World Champs, and it showed in their play. Lots of ball watching. Better inthe second half when Bradley and Dempsey got on the pitch, but even so, they should have played much, much better.

BTW, NJL, the USMNT since the WC has a losing record. I wonder if the boys are starting to tune BB out? the next couple of weeks should tell that tale

We'll see what gives at the Gold Cup. I do NOT think we'll win it. If that happens I think BB could very well be gone. But, who will replace him?

USWNT struggled against the Mexican WNT despite dominating the friendly (34 shots to 4). Finally won it 1-0 in the 92nd minute on a 25 yard gem from Lauren Cheney. I do not think this USA squad will win their 3rd WWC in Germany. They snuck in the back door to get there and the better European teams, and maybe some of the Asian teams, to say nothing about Brazil, are going to feast on their inability to score. With huge luck they could make the Semi's, where they'd meet Germany. That should end it. At best they'd get a third straight bronze.

NJL

Buzz
06-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Egypt has failed to qualify for the African Nations Cup for the first time in 29 years and their coach has resigned.
http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/06/06/152122.html

NeilJLeonard
06-07-2011, 06:32 PM
USA v Canada in Gold Cup play tonight starting at 730PM EDT on FSN in the US. I think this game is in Detroit so I'm sure team Canada will have more than their share of supporters on hand....;)

Most people think that this will be another USA/Mexico final. After the USA's less then sparkling performance vs Spain the other night, I'm not so sure of that. We'll see, starting tonight.

NJL

KHenry14
06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
NJL, I've encountered a lot of USMNT fans who are completely downplaying the butt kicking they got as no big deal. Excusing the lack of training time, no Landon, etc. etc.

Frankly, I am very concerned about our back four leaking like a sieve, and if they do that aginst the Tri's or the Tico's, chalk up a big Loss.

IMO, the USMNT needs this Gold Cup win to get to the Confed Cup, to further test their new players. But I'm not so sure that we will get to that point.

NeilJLeonard
06-07-2011, 08:06 PM
NJL, I've encountered a lot of USMNT fans who are completely downplaying the butt kicking they got as no big deal. Excusing the lack of training time, no Landon, etc. etc.

Frankly, I am very concerned about our back four leaking like a sieve, and if they do that aginst the Tri's or the Tico's, chalk up a big Loss.

IMO, the USMNT needs this Gold Cup win to get to the Confed Cup, to further test their new players. But I'm not so sure that we will get to that point.
It was a different and very inexperienced back 4 in the 1st half and they played poorly. Totally outclassed. A slightly different back 4 played better in the 2nd half.

With a few changes in back & at mid & forward the USA looked much more dangerous on the attack in the 2nd half. They still couldn't score.

I just hope they can get past Canada and into the KO stages. I still do not think that this group can win the Cup, however. Mexico, especially, has undergone massive changes from 4 years ago & is a much improved team. So much improved that I feel they are the best team in CONCACAF right now. I'm not all that certain that we're even 2nd best....:(

NJL (...tonight's game will tell us much of what we need to know about team USA...they seem to be slight favorites, but I'm sure Canada remembers an offside call a few years back that took them out of the Gold Cup...I'm certain that that puts a bit of a revenge factor into this game...We'll see what we'll see...I just hope that we can bounce back from the ass kicking that Spain gave us...:o...)

ETA: USA plays Panama in Tampa on Saturday. I don't have the $$$ to spend on it. I'll go see the Strikers play then instead. Even worse, I don't have the $$$ for the Gold Cup games in Miami - at FIU Stadium - on Friday night either....:(

NeilJLeonard
06-08-2011, 03:00 AM
USA 2 - 0 Canada

Much better game then the game against Spain. To be honest the USA seemed to be in control for the entire 90 minutes. Both teams play again Saturday evening/night in Tampa.

NJL

ETA: It should be noted that US keeper Tim Howard had some remarkable saves late in the game to keep Canada at bay and maintain the shutout. Hopefully, he can continue this play against Panama and after. Despite the shutout it was a very interesting game because the 4 defenders for the USA, especially at central defense, what the announcers in the UK call "center halves"...;)..., are very young and inexperienced internationally. It is going to be an interesting tournament for team USA to see how Bob Bradley manipulates the squad from game to game. We seem to be deeper than most folks thought.

Buzz
06-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Sign... No surprise that we lost to the US. But since I did nto see the game tell me the truth about our performance. Did we hold our own or...

KHenry14
06-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Sign... No surprise that we lost to the US. But since I did nto see the game tell me the truth about our performance. Did we hold our own or...

Canada is a game side, but they just don't have the talent to compete with the USA right now, or the Mexicans either for that matter. They didn't quit tho, so you have to give them credit for that. But they just need more quality players before they can compete in CONCACAF. But they are on the right track to be sure.

NeilJLeonard
06-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Canada is a game side, but they just don't have the talent to compete with the USA right now, or the Mexicans either for that matter. They didn't quit tho, so you have to give them credit for that. But they just need more quality players before they can compete in CONCACAF. But they are on the right track to be sure.
True. They've advanced in their understanding of the game to the point that they no longer pull their goalie for an extra attacker when they are trailing by a goal or two in the last minutes of a match.....:biggrinbo

NJL (...;)...)

KHenry14
06-09-2011, 02:37 PM
True. They've advanced in their understanding of the game to the point that they no longer pull their goalie for an extra attacker when they are trailing by a goal or two in the last minutes of a match.....:biggrinbo

NJL (...;)...)

LOL, See, I told you they were making progress! :P

Buzz
06-10-2011, 12:46 AM
oh dear.... :slinkaway I know the hope is that with the success of the MLS in Canada that eventually it will bear fruit. Could not come soon enough. :(