PDA

View Full Version : For all things Fútbol...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Buzz
03-21-2011, 03:04 AM
Montenegrin footballer Nikola Nikezic says he was beaten into signing termination documents releasing his Russian Premier League club Kuban Krasnodar from their obligations. He has written a letter complaining about his treatment to FIFA president Sepp Blatter. The club for their part have denied the allegations. The RPL have been dogged by allegations of corruption and match fixing.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5g3HAl2Gr792cP1aQBX1B_KBEQJ3Q?docId=6253890

Buzz
03-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Today is Euro 2012 Qualifying defending World champions Spain will play Czech Republic.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/25032011/2/reuters-sports-schedule-1400-gmt-friday-march-25.html

Buzz
03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Spain won 2-1 thanks to two goal from David Villa. Would have loved to see the game.

Wiery
03-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Spain won 2-1 thanks to two goal from David Villa. Would have loved to see the game.

Check ESPN3.com; I believe they have the game available for viewing. It was a good game, def worth watching...

iceberg08
03-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Friendly: USA wins against Argentina 1-1!

NeilJLeonard
03-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Friendly: USA wins against Argentina 1-1!
The way Argentina played the 1st half it could have been 20 - 0 instead of 1 - 0 at half time. If you've ever seen Barcelona play when they are on their game you'll have an idea how Argentina was playing. A couple subs by Bob Bradley at the half and a change of formations, to 4-4-2 from 4-5-1, made the USA much more competitive in the 2nd, tying the game in the 65th minute or so. Then the game turned into a dog fight. Friendly, my ass! Both teams wanted the win and got quite forceful about the whole thing. The near 78,000 fans, it was a sell out, at the New Giants Stadium got their money's worth. An entertaining & exciting match...:cool:

NJL (...team USA ain't the best on the planet, but they never quit and seem to be unafraid of superb teams like Argentina. Wild stuff in NJ....a great example of why this sport is the worlds most popular ..:D...)

Wiery
03-27-2011, 07:59 PM
The way Argentina played the 1st half it could have been 20 - 0 instead of 1 - 0 at half time. If you've ever seen Barcelona play when they are on their game you'll have an idea how Argentina was playing. A couple subs by Bob Bradley at the half and a change of formations, to 4-4-2 from 4-5-1, made the USA much more competitive in the 2nd, tying the game in the 65th minute or so. Then the game turned into a dog fight. Friendly, my ass! Both teams wanted the win and got quite forceful about the whole thing. The near 78,000 fans, it was a sell out, at the New Giants Stadium got their money's worth. An entertaining & exciting match...:cool:

NJL (...team USA ain't the best on the planet, but they never quit and seem to be unafraid of superb teams like Argentina. Wild stuff in NJ....a great example of why this sport is the worlds most popular ..:D...)

I haven't seen it yet but it's recorded on my dvr. :cool:

Makes me happy to see futbol catching on in the USA! :cheer:

iceberg08
03-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Argentina were moving really well on the first half but the finishing just wasn't there. I agree it could have been a blowout but it just wasn't happening for them that night. Credit to Tim Howard for being so solid.

NeilJLeonard
04-06-2011, 01:15 PM
....on April 9th, 2011 the resurrected NASL (North American Soccer League) begins play as a Division 2 league. There are various teams involve (9 as of now, or is it 8?...www.nasl.com .....including some in Canada), but the match between 2 of them may be of special interest to some members of this board:

At 730PM on that day Edmonton FC will play a season opening match, for both teams, at Lockhart Stadium in Ft Lauderdale vs South Florida's own Ft Lauderdale Strikers. It's 1979 deja vu all over again...;)..... AFAIK there will be a crowd in excess of 4,000 at the Stadium to witness this event, but NASL does not have any TV deal, or radio either, so please stay tuned for the end result of this epic battle.

Festivities begin at and on the Stadium grounds at 4PM for tailgating, etc. Come one, come all for the least expensive sports ticket (General Admission is $10 for adults & $7 for children w/free parking) in town. No matter the outcome it should be a happening well worth the price...:)

NJL (...Striker season ticket holder - there are at least 1,000 of us - and Striker Liker yet again for Strikers 3.0....:biggrinbo...)

KHenry14
04-06-2011, 04:08 PM
How about that Neil? Good for them. I have very fond memories of going to NASL games in the 70's and seeing the first incarnation of the San Jose Earthquakes. And of course, actually seeing the great Pele play in person.

The fact that they could resurrect the league even as a D-2 league indicates how the game is gaining more popularity in North America everyday. Too bad the Tampa team didn't ressurect the "Rowdies" nickname. :lol:

NeilJLeonard
04-06-2011, 04:33 PM
How about that Neil? Good for them. I have very fond memories of going to NASL games in the 70's and seeing the first incarnation of the San Jose Earthquakes. And of course, actually seeing the great Pele play in person.

The fact that they could resurrect the league even as a D-2 league indicates how the game is gaining more popularity in North America everyday. Too bad the Tampa team didn't ressurect the "Rowdies" nickname. :lol:
The folks in Tampa badly want the Rowdies name. Sadly, there are legal issues involved. The Strikers had a bit of a problem, too, but evidently ironed them out in the last year.

That name, along with getting Tim Robbie on board as team President, has really ignited a fire down here. We feel that 6,000+ on Saturday's opening match and an average over 4,000 is possible. When you consider that last year there were 37 season tickets sold the 1,000+ that have been sold this year is remarkable. In fact, I was told that this years season ticket sales exceed the season ticket sales for the entire 5 years of the Strikers predecessor, Miami FC. And, of course, the 4,000 + season average is an astounding number,too...:)

We dearly hope that this is our route to MLS as outlined to us by some dude from MLS named Garber in a meeting we had with him in January. We'll see.

NJL (....I have more to say, but a sick baby crying demands my attention...:(...)

KHenry14
04-07-2011, 01:05 AM
The folks in Tampa badly want the Rowdies name. Sadly, there are legal issues involved. The Strikers had a bit of a problem, too, but evidently ironed them out in the last year.

That name, along with getting Tim Robbie on board as team President, has really ignited a fire down here. We feel that 6,000+ on Saturday's opening match and an average over 4,000 is possible. When you consider that last year there were 37 season tickets sold the 1,000+ that have been sold this year is remarkable. In fact, I was told that this years season ticket sales exceed the season ticket sales for the entire 5 years of the Strikers predecessor, Miami FC. And, of course, the 4,000 + season average is an astounding number,too...:)

We dearly hope that this is our route to MLS as outlined to us by some dude from MLS named Garber in a meeting we had with him in January. We'll see.

NJL (....I have more to say, but a sick baby crying demands my attention...:(...)

That's really interesting Neil. Too bad about the Rowdies name, that would have been a nice tie in.

Garber's probably right, seeing that's exactly how Portland and Vancouver got into MLS. If you keep up those figures, you might be able to get into MLS by 2014-15.

Here' hoping that the team and the league are a huge success. BTW, wouldn't want to take that road trip to Edmonton from Ft. Lauderdale.

NeilJLeonard
04-07-2011, 01:19 PM
That's really interesting Neil. Too bad about the Rowdies name, that would have been a nice tie in.

Garber's probably right, seeing that's exactly how Portland and Vancouver got into MLS. If you keep up those figures, you might be able to get into MLS by 2014-15.

Here' hoping that the team and the league are a huge success. BTW, wouldn't want to take that road trip to Edmonton from Ft. Lauderdale.

Road trips are planned for Tampa Bay - Al Lang Field in St Petersburg - and Atlanta. No one else is close enough.

Garber is using the Pacific NW as his model for us to even be considered. He demands we meet that model. We'll see. He also said that MLS team #20 will be another team in NYC. Period. Maybe the Cosmos? Sounds interesting.

NJL

Buzz
04-07-2011, 03:02 PM
There is something about LeBron James becoming part owner of LIVERPOOL FC!?!?! Poor Liverpool! Chad Ochocinco is trying out with Sporting KC?! Not sure if I am supposed to be happy or scared that all these basketball folks are delving into the world of footie.

Sounds like the MLS is going gang busters! Great to hear and hope you get your wish Neil. :respec:

NeilJLeonard
04-07-2011, 07:32 PM
There is something about LeBron James becoming part owner of LIVERPOOL FC!?!?! Poor Liverpool! Chad Ochocinco is trying out with Sporting KC?! Not sure if I am supposed to be happy or scared that all these basketball folks are delving into the world of footie.
Ochocinco plays American Football, not BB.

I wish LeBron would invest a few buck up the road in Ft Lauderdale if he wants to invest in soccer. They need his $$$ far more than Liverpool does.

Sounds like the MLS is going gang busters! Great to hear and hope you get your wish Neil. :respec:
Thanks, Buzz. I appreciate the thought...:)