PDA

View Full Version : Help! Smart Phone Advice Needed...

fsfann
11-13-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

My 3 year contract is coming to an end shortly and I am looking to replace my Blackberry Curve...

Right now I'm considering my options...

When I first started looking I thought the iPhone4 was my only real option (other than another Bberry)... but then I started looking at the other options...such as the Samsung Fascinate and the HTC ______ (forget the name of it now).

I'm just wondering if any of you are seasoned pros when it comes to smartphones and what info/advice you could give me!!

I will be using it for phone calls, email retrieval, web browsing, music (?) and possibly games/apps etc....

Thanks!!

numbers123
11-13-2010, 01:29 AM
I had a Storm Blackberry and loved it, but then upgraded to the Droid. I love the Droid and use it for: Texts, Gmail, Google Tracks, Browser, music, photos, calendar appointments, instant chat, facebook, calculator and of course calling. Plus a bunch of other stuff, including having FSU on my browsing favs :)
I have 2 email accounts linked into the Droid. I use quite a few "free apps" including playing games. And my son and I are synced for their baby esp - so that they know what their daughter is doing while grandma is watching her.

We have verizon, so never experienced an iPhone and the HTC is an adroid system on ??? and sprint.

sk8pics
11-13-2010, 01:45 PM
If you wait a few months, I think the iPhone is going to be available from Verizon, and then you will have a real choice. I have an iPhone 4 and love it. The video is shoots is amazing! One of my friends has both an iPhone and a Blackberry and says he likes the iPhone more. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I mostly use mine like a little computer and as a GPS. And of course, as a phone.

fsfann
11-13-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm actually in Canada - so all of the carriers carry iPhone. I'll be going with Telus or Bell...not sure which yet.

The salesman was pushing the droids.. (HTC & Samsung)... I think I've made up my mind that I want to get away from the Bberry just for a change...guess I'm bored... So it's between those two and an iPhone!!

Thanks for your feedback so far!!

Aceon6
11-14-2010, 12:38 PM
fsfann, if you haven't already, head over to cnet.com (http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/?tag=TOCleftColumn.0) and check the reviews. You'll be able to compare features of the Droids against the iPhone. Droid is catching up with iPhone for apps, unless you need something very specific, you should be ok either way.

I have an iPhone 3GS and love it. It does everything I need, so I'm skipping the iPhone 4 and will decide next year if I want to upgrade or switch. I've finally figured out that I do not NEED a new phone every two years.

cruisin
11-14-2010, 03:20 PM
It's a tough call between the iPhone and the Droid. I am a total Apple fan, but have Verizon and to date iPhone was not an option. I have the original Motorola Droid - LOVE IT! My son has the new one Droid X (also Motorola) It is a bit wider and longer than the original, but it is thinner. The X does not have a slide out keyboard, only touch. Honestly, mine has the slide out and I thought I'd use it more than the touch, but I never use the slide out keyboard, so...
Personally, for the Androids, I like the Motorolas best. The screen on the X is huge, it's fast, most of the same apps as iPhone. Easy to use the internet, it's based on Google. I know that Verizon will be getting iPhone eventually (rumors go on endlessly, however), but I am not sure that I would chose it over the Motorola Droid X, when it's time for an upgrade. The only thing I have considered, is getting a basic phone again and getting an iPad for data plans. I don't want two devices with data plans.

luna_skater
11-14-2010, 04:15 PM
I have an iPhone 3Gs and am with Telus. Only complaint about the phone itself is how quickly the battery drains if you're doing a lot of data roaming or web browsing, but I think that's going to be an issue with any phone depending how much you're using it. If I could afford it, I would absolutely upgrade to the 4G. The screen is gorgeous, and the 5mpx camera is fantastic.

Telus has given me great service the past three years, and my coverage across the country is very good. The exception this year has been Saskatchewan, but once SaskTel has all of their towers up, Telus and Bell iPhone customers will get better coverage there than Rogers customers will. If you do any traveling to the States, it's worth checking out Rogers, as they tend to have better US roaming and data packages than Telus does, due to their connections with AT&T.

numbers123
11-15-2010, 03:41 AM
If you wait a few months, I think the iPhone is going to be available from Verizon

I haven't seen this, but have heard rumors for at least 2 years that a contract was about to be signed. Is it true this time?

cruisin
11-15-2010, 04:01 AM
I haven't seen this, but have heard rumors for at least 2 years that a contract was about to be signed. Is it true this time?

I think that many people see the fact that Verizon now sells the iPad as a sign that the iPhone won't be far behind. However, the iPad that is available through Verizon is only the WiFi version, not the 3G. They are bundling it with the Verizon MiFi mobile hot spot. The price is the same as the 3G model of the iPad. The MiFi has the advantage of being able to support 4 or 5 devices at the same time, and the gig plan is cheaper than the AT&T plan. However, it is not 3G and you have to carry the extra device around or find a hot spot. I am not so sure that this definitively means iPhone will be jointing Verizon. The networks are different and I don't see Apple creating a Verizon compatible phone until Verizon has their 4G up and running. At that point AT&T will not be able to give the same support. Just my thoughts :)

Evilynn
11-15-2010, 01:39 PM
The Android apps aren't really that far behind iPhone apps (I'd wager a guess that there are more Android apps than iPhone apps by now, since appstore is quite a bit more strict than android market about what apps they sell), so I think it boils down to whether you like Apple products or not. I personally don't, so I use an Android phone (Sony Ericsson xperia x10 to be more precise), and I've been happy with it so far. :)

cruisin
11-15-2010, 02:11 PM
The Android apps aren't really that far behind iPhone apps (I'd wager a guess that there are more Android apps than iPhone apps by now, since appstore is quite a bit more strict than android market about what apps they sell), so I think it boils down to whether you like Apple products or not. I personally don't, so I use an Android phone (Sony Ericsson xperia x10 to be more precise), and I've been happy with it so far. :)

I don't know if being an apple fan matters. I am totally Apple. I genuinely believe that half the reason I want an iPhone is simply because apple makes it. But, since Verizon hasn't supported iPhone, and the Droid came out, I'm happy. I never liked the Palm or Blackberry operating systems, so I stuck with a simple phone until the Droid came out. Personally, I like the Motorola Droids better, but since I came off of a Razr, it might just be that I'm more familiar with Motorola traits. I'm no longer in a rush for an iPhone, the camera in the Droid is better and the Droids are getting more and more like the iPhone, in the way they operate. As I said, I am considering dumping the smart phone (when I'm due for an upgrade), getting a simple phone and an iPad. Not sure if I'd get it through Verizon, the MiFi is very small, but still it's another thing that has to be charged and you have to remember. But, I like the idea that I can have books, internet, etc. all in one device. And the screen is big, which for my over 50 eyes is a big plus! Either that or I'll go for the Motorola Droid X, the screen is about 25% bigger than the one I have now, and not really much bigger in physical dimensions, since there is no slide out keyboard.