PDA

View Full Version : New "Jane Eyre" trailer

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Wyliefan
11-11-2010, 11:40 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810161778/video/22939910

Love the trailer, hate the font. Minor detail, I know, but it stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

Also, I'm trying hard to wrap my mind around the idea of Jamie Bell as St. John Rivers, but it's not going so well. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise me.

Buzz
11-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Of all the great English classics, Jane Eyre is one of my least favourite. Perhaps it is just too mellow dramatic for my tastes but I did like the movie I saw about Rochester and his first wife. (from the novel Wide Sargasso Side) Jane Austin is more to my liking.

skatingfan5
11-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Of all the great English classics, Jane Eyre is one of my least favourite. Perhaps it is just too mellow dramatic for my tastes but I did like the movie I saw about Rochester and his first wife. (from the novel Wide Sargasso Side) Jane Austin is more to my liking.Jane Eyre is a bit too melodramatic for me. Although I loved it when I first read it at age 12 or 13, I have long preferred Jane Austen's novels. I disliked the 2005 remake of Pride & Prejudice with Keira Knightley because in many scenes it seemed as if it were "P&P as written by Charlotte Bronte". :scream:

nerdycool
11-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Hmmm.... I'm not sure how I'll feel about it until I see it. It will have a lot to live up to for me. The 1996 version with Charlotte Gainsbourgh is wonderful IMHO. But I agree with the Jane Austen love, too. I prefer rainbows & kittens (Austen) to rain clouds & wolves (Bronte). But Jane Eyre isn't too bad.

jlai
11-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Jane Eyre is a bit too melodramatic for me. Although I loved it when I first read it at age 12 or 13, I have long preferred Jane Austen's novels. I disliked the 2005 remake of Pride & Prejudice with Keira Knightley because in many scenes it seemed as if it were "P&P as written by Charlotte Bronte". :scream:

:lol:

Yeah, it was great when I read it as a kid, but that novel had one too many coincidence for my liking (it made Pride and Prej's coincidences look lame)

danceronice
11-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Personally I like the original ending where she doesn't go back to Thornfield, but that darned Thursday Next (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThursdayNext) went and ruined it... ;)

And I like it better than Wuthering Heights. At least I don't want the protagonists in Jane Eyre to die the most searing, painful deaths I can imagine and I can imagine quite a bit.

Allen
11-12-2010, 01:29 AM
I had to take an oral exam as part of my master's degree. During the exam, one of the professors said, it's a shame you didn't choose Jane Eyre (it was on a list of 3 and you had to choose 1, I chose Tess of the D'Urbervilles), because that would have really worked well, I'd be interested to know why you left that off your list. I replied, "because I fcuking hate Jane Eyre." Hey, it was 9 am, I'd slept 5 hours in about 4 days...I found out later that the professors had a good laugh about it after I left the room.

hirshey girl
11-12-2010, 01:38 AM
I replied, "because I fcuking hate Jane Eyre." Hey, it was 9 am, I'd slept 5 hours in about 4 days...I found out later that the professors had a good laugh about it after I left the room.
:lol::lol::lol::respec::respec: Bet they didn't expect that answer!

VIETgrlTerifa
11-12-2010, 06:07 AM
I can't believe so many people hate Jane Eyre. She's one of my favorite heroines in literature. She has such inner anger and passion that's waiting to be let out and it just came off the page when I was reading it.

As much as I adore Jane Austen's works, I find her to be way overrated by the general public. I don't find Austen's wit as impressive as say Oscar Wilde for instance.

vesperholly
11-12-2010, 08:39 AM
I thought the book was just OK but Wide Sargasso Sea was much better. The 2006 BBC movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Eyre_(2006_miniseries)) was so good and the trailer seems very like it in tone.

Nekatiivi
11-12-2010, 08:49 AM
I love Jane Eyre! I like Jane Austen books too, but Jane Eyre has this darkness and depth that I really love.

So, I can't wait or the movie!

John 3 17
11-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Oh! It looks good! And Judi Dench! :cheer2:

Thanks, Wyliefan, for the link :)

-Bridget

John 3 17
11-12-2010, 09:48 AM
...And I like it better than Wuthering Heights. At least I don't want the protagonists in Jane Eyre to die the most searing, painful deaths I can imagine and I can imagine quite a bit.

:lol: I loathed Wuthering Heights; actually, words are not strong enough to describe my disgust of this book. I felt physically sick to my stomach almost the whole novel. I've never tried another Bronte book since then because of it, but I've always liked the movie versions of Jane Eyre and will probably give this a try. There are so few movies at the theatres that I ever care about, so I'm hoping this one's good.

-Bridget (another Austenite)

Wyliefan
11-12-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm looking forward to Judi Dench too. She's always so good in everything she's in.

modern_muslimah
11-12-2010, 03:58 PM
I have mixed feelings about Jane Eyre. I read the book because I loved the 2006 adaptation. I really liked Jane in the adaptation but then when I read the book she really began to annoy me, especially towards the end of the book. She was so emotional. I also found her narration to be suspect. The way she portrayed St. John seemed seemed especially so.

I know I was suppose to sympathize with Jane but I found myself sympathizing more with Rochester, St. John, and some other characters. They seemed more real in that they had shortcomings which they acknowledged (Rochester knew he was too passionate and St. John knew he was a bit too cold but Jane...).

However, the love story is probably one of the best in English Lit.

BTW, Charlotte Bronte disliked Jane Austen's work because she felt it was passionless.

"Anything like warmth or enthusiasm, anything energetic, poignant, heartfelt, is utterly out of place in commending these works: all such demonstrations the authoress would have met with a well-bred sneer, would have calmly scorned as outré or extravagant. She does her business of delineating the surface of the lives of genteel English people curiously well. There is a Chinese fidelity, a miniature delicacy, in the painting. She ruffles her reader by nothing vehement, disturbs him with nothing profound. The passions are perfectly unknown to her: she rejects even a speaking acquaintance with that stormy sisterhood ... What sees keenly, speaks aptly, moves flexibly, it suits her to study: but what throbs fast and full, though hidden, what the blood rushes through, what is the unseen seat of life and the sentient target of death--this Miss Austen ignores....Jane Austen was a complete and most sensible lady, but a very incomplete and rather insensible (not senseless woman), if this is heresy--I cannot help it."