PDA

View Full Version : Another Duggar baby is on the way!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

ilovepaydays
11-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Josh and Anna are having #2, due in June. (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20441165,00.html)

I believe they are doing an hour episode tonight about Mackynzie's first birthday and they will probably announce it then.

:( about them having a miscarriage this past summer. My parents miscarried a set of twins and then miscarried again before having me at 32 weeks (back in 1980 when premie births were A LOT scarier).

Wyliefan
11-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Oh my gosh. You really had me thinking it was Michelle again!!

Skittl1321
11-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Good for them! Anna seems to be a really good mother- hopefully she will stay that way even if she has a bundle.

Satellitegirl
11-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Maybe she can break the family record! Go for 20! Then each of those can go for 15+ children etc.

At least we'll know who to blame when all our resources are gone :)

manleywoman
11-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I've had a miscarriage. I know I'm very much in the minority here, but I didn't think it was a big deal. I'm the daughter of a very pragmatic surgeon and, like him, I'm of the mind that if you have a miscarriage, then there was something not viable with the fetus to begin with, and it's nature's way of saying it wasn't meant to be.

Having said that however, (1) it was very early on in the pregnancy, so not like a late miscarriage, which I can only imagine is much more devastating, and (2) I wasn't one of those women who was dying to be a mother anyway. I just figured if it happened, great, and if not, I had a good life anyway.

But it was very physically painful.

I went on to have a great little ManleyBaby after that. :)

Satellitegirl
11-11-2010, 04:47 PM
wrong thread.

Skittl1321
11-11-2010, 05:35 PM
I've had a miscarriage. I know I'm very much in the minority here, but I didn't think it was a big deal.

I think the only reason it's a big deal in relation to the Duggars, is Jim Bob and Michelle say that their miscarriage was CAUSED by using birth control, and was a sign from God that they should have as many children as possible (you cannot tell me they aren't actively trying as early as possible- not just "leaving it up to God").

So it's surprising to me that Josh and Anna announced that publically. And I imagine in a family where it is likely a race to have babies (Anna had said something about taking so many pregnancy tests when she was only a couple months married) a miscarriage is probably pretty devestating. I know some people like you who had the "it wasn't meant to be" and others who treated an early term miscarriage the same as one would imagine they would handle the death of a live (maybe live isn't the right word, since they believe fetuses are live... so "been birthed") child. There is such a wide spectrum of how people react.

/Totally off topic but I was once cussed out by multiple people on message board for finding humor in my husband's passing along of a birth announcement. Because the baby was by C-section he said she was "born" (since she did not pass through the birth canal) and they all told me I was being so insensitve to the mother, and this is my nephew and how could I think that is funny, and la-dee-dah. The next day we get an email from my SIL, the Mom. Without having seen my husband's email, she said it the exact same way. Since then, all the C section babies in my family have an in-joke that we are immortal because we weren't born we can't die. And this lesson taught me a) people on the internet are real jerks sometime and b) everyone reacts to things differently, often VERY differently

danceronice
11-11-2010, 06:29 PM
/Totally off topic but I was once cussed out by multiple people on message board for finding humor in my husband's passing along of a birth announcement. Because the baby was by C-section he said she was "born" (since she did not pass through the birth canal) and they all told me I was being so insensitve to the mother, and this is my nephew and how could I think that is funny, and la-dee-dah. The next day we get an email from my SIL, the Mom. Without having seen my husband's email, she said it the exact same way. Since then, all the C section babies in my family have an in-joke that we are immortal because we weren't born we can't die. And this lesson taught me a) people on the internet are real jerks sometime and b) everyone reacts to things differently, often VERY differently

Or they all read MacBeth, are using the same old-school definition of born (ie passing through the vaginal canal) and figure the child not born of woman is destined to slay the wrongful king. (Yes, Shakespear did it first--"No man born of woman" could kill MacBeth. Guess who was 'cut from his mother's womb'? Rather like the Witch-King and how no 'MAN' born could kill him, MacBeth should have read the fine print on the prophecy.)

Well, probably not, but having just watched Sir Patrick Stewart's MacBeth a few weeks ago it's on my mind.

Skittl1321
11-11-2010, 07:09 PM
You know- my husband is a well read theatre guy- that's probably where "born" came from... I never made the connection.

Wyliefan
11-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Because the baby was by C-section he said she was "born" (since she did not pass through the birth canal)

:confused: I'm missing something here. Doesn't everyone say a baby was "born" regardless of whether it was through the birth canal or via C-section? That's how I've always heard it. (Except for in Macbeth, of course.)

danceronice
11-11-2010, 08:00 PM
:confused: I'm missing something here. Doesn't everyone say a baby was "born" regardless of whether it was through the birth canal or via C-section? That's how I've always heard it. (Except for in Macbeth, of course.)

If you're going old-school, you can argue that born is really only passing through the birth canal.

Practically, of course, unless you expect to slay the king of Scotland, NORMAL people don't make the distinction. I suspect Skttl's husband was just making a joke too sophisticated for the audience. ;)

Skittl1321
11-11-2010, 08:44 PM

most people say a baby was born, he said a baby was "born". (I just looked it up and those are called scare quotes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scare_quotes))

The mothers on the stamping board I was sharing this with (because I thought it was funny) took incredible offense that anyone would think that birth by C-section was any less of a birth than if it was natural.

Wyliefan
11-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Ohhh, okay. So you're talking about saying it in writing with actual quotation marks, not saying it verbally. Got it. :)

Skittl1321
11-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Ohhh, okay. So you're talking about saying it in writing with actual quotation marks, not saying it verbally. Got it. :)

It may have been said with air quotes... or emailed. He's done it for both my nephew and my niece. I don't remember which the blow up occured after though.

manleywoman
11-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I think the only reason it's a big deal in relation to the Duggars, is Jim Bob and Michelle say that their miscarriage was CAUSED by using birth control, and was a sign from God that they should have as many children as possible (you cannot tell me they aren't actively trying as early as possible- not just "leaving it up to God").

So it's surprising to me that Josh and Anna announced that publically. And I imagine in a family where it is likely a race to have babies (Anna had said something about taking so many pregnancy tests when she was only a couple months married) a miscarriage is probably pretty devestating. . . .

. . . b) everyone reacts to things differently, often VERY differently

All very true. My friends all know about my miscarriage, but my parents don't. My dad the surgeon would have been okay with it, but my mother would be devastated to know. And my husband was way more upset than I was. And I've had friends have miscarriages who were devastated. So it is very individual.

I had my miscarriage over the weekend of Lollapalooza 2007 in Chicago. I was determined to go since I'd already bought tickets, and I figured I might as well enjoy as much of the music as possible. But I wasn't anticipating the pain. I joke about how my fetus must have hated Amy Winehouse, because that's when the pain got crazy bad and my husband had to carry me out. I think that little fetus just said. "Amy Winehouse? No way dude, I'm outta here!" :lol: