PDA

View Full Version : It was 35 years ago- The Edmund FitzGerald

Pages : [1] 2 3

cygnus
11-11-2010, 01:27 AM
It was 35 years ago today that 29 lives were lost. So raise a glass to the lives gone too soon. :(

I wonder if the event would be remembered without the song, though? I guess that it shows that great lyrics and a good tune- old fashioned minstrelsy really- works in the commemoration of events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw&feature=related

"Does anyone know/
where the love of God goes/
when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Chilling lyrics, and brilliant songwriting.

Rex
11-11-2010, 02:43 AM
This is one of the great maritime freak accidents. Some think she actually hit the bottom during the storm and was simply overwhelmed by the waves. The Great Lakes are no joke.

cygnus
11-11-2010, 02:54 AM
This is one of the great maritime freak accidents. Some think she actually hit the bottom during the storm and was simply overwhelmed by the waves. The Great Lakes are no joke.

Absolutely. From another great Great Lakes Song (about a fictional ship in a storm) by the late great Stan Rogers.

But I told that kid a hundred times "Don't take the Lakes for granted.
They go from calm to a hundred knots so fast they seem enchanted."
But tonight some red-eyed Wiarton girl lies staring at the wall,
And her lover's gone into a white squall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_73Cc2typk

sk8er1964
11-11-2010, 02:55 AM
I've stood on the shores of Lake Superior and looked out at the wildness. Even in September and October, it is not a gentle body of water. Somehow the other lakes seem tame compared to Superior. Maybe it's because of its history, but northern Lake Huron has also had its share of shipwrecks and doesn't have the same feel to it, at least to me.

sk8er1964
11-11-2010, 03:14 AM
It was 35 years ago today that 29 lives were lost. So raise a glass to the lives gone too soon. :(

I wonder if the event would be remembered without the song, though? I guess that it shows that great lyrics and a good tune- old fashioned minstrelsy really- works in the commemoration of events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw&feature=related

"Does anyone know/
where the love of God goes/
when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Chilling lyrics, and brilliant songwriting.

That was an excellent video.

It's weird. You live here all your life (I'm in Michigan), and see the freighters. In the summer, and going through the newly broken ice in the spring. You don't think that it can be a dangerous thing. I do think the song makes people remember that it can.

We went to Sault Ste Marie a couple of years ago for a hockey tournament, and toured the Soo locks. The SS Alpena (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1iUIdir50s) came through while we were there. It was so big - I have no idea of its size in comparison to other freighters, but it was impressive.

Really
11-11-2010, 06:10 AM
You know, I never realized, when this song came out, that it referred to what was then a 'recent' tragedy.

FGRSK8
11-11-2010, 11:21 AM
I remember that storm well.

It was a hurricane, only without a name.

What is inte4wting is the storm that went through western lake Superior a few weeks back actually had a lower pressure than the Edmund Fitzgerald storm and did generate winds gusting to 90 mph.

mrr50
11-11-2010, 11:49 AM
The Shipwreck Museum in the UP of Michigan has an incredible display and is a really interesting place. It's out of the way but really interesting.

The windstorm that went through Wisconsin a couple weeks ago was nasty. My house still stands, the neighbor's willows(2) are in the lake.

There are some shipyards in Sturgeon Bay, WI which have a charity walk the first weekend of May. One of the shipyards refurbishes and repairs the ore ships. The sister of the Edmund Fitzgerald was in dry dock there for several years due to what might have been the same structural defect that took down the Edmund Fitz. The sister ship ended up repaired and renamed(I believe).

paskatefan
11-11-2010, 12:59 PM
A chilling tragedy. :( We just saw Gordon Lightfoot in concert again (I've lost count how many times we've seen him since the late 1970's), and of course, he sang his song, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

danceronice
11-11-2010, 02:56 PM
I've stood on the shores of Lake Superior and looked out at the wildness. Even in September and October, it is not a gentle body of water. Somehow the other lakes seem tame compared to Superior. Maybe it's because of its history, but northern Lake Huron has also had its share of shipwrecks and doesn't have the same feel to it, at least to me.

Superior's deep and cold--I didn't stick more than a toe in off Whitefish in JULY, forget October. Huron actually has more shipwrecks, and oddly enough in squalls Erie's the most dangerous (it's shallow enough if the storm is big enough, ships are smashed into the bottom--most places in the other lakes are just too deep for that to happen without a MASSIVE KILLER STORM) but Superior's the one you take people to when they say they have big lakes where they come from so you can say "That's no lake, mate. THIS is a lake." It just FEELS massive. It's the only one that really compares to standing on an ocean beach for feeling insignificant.

My favorite cover is not Lightfoot's, but Lee Murdock's (done on "Voices Across the Water" as a joint song with "The Red Iron Ore"). He sings a lot about the Lakes and has some haunting ones on that album.

Andora
11-11-2010, 03:51 PM
The Great Lakes are no joke.

I grew up on Lake Huron, and it seems like they are STILL finding shipwrecks the lake has consumed over the years. The last one I remember was 2001. Every local museum has a section, generally large and well done, about the local shipwrecks, because there'd been so many in the past.

It seemed there wasn't a parent who didn't put their kids into swimming lessons early, on top of what we'd learn in school, because for awhile in the '80s there wasn't a year without a drowning or two. When some friends from the city and I camped at the Pinery, way south of my hometown, they couldn't get over the waves and roughness of the water. And that's all near the shore.

emason
11-11-2010, 04:24 PM
My favorite cover is not Lightfoot's, but Lee Murdock's (done on "Voices Across the Water" as a joint song with "The Red Iron Ore"). He sings a lot about the Lakes and has some haunting ones on that album.

Nitpicking here, but Lightfoot's version is NOT a cover. He wrote the song; it's the original.

AragornElessar
11-11-2010, 06:36 PM
I grew up on Lake Huron, and it seems like they are STILL finding shipwrecks the lake has consumed over the years.

Same here and am still on Lake Huron, on the Largest Freshwater Island in the World, and every Fall I say a prayer for the Freighters and their crews when the weather gets *really* bad. When that "Weather Bomb" went through a couple of weeks ago, my Dad and I had to go into Little Current for our Monthly Blood Work and as we were headed home, just outside of the Current, we could see from the top of the one hill all the way out to the Benjamin Islands one *very* angry North Channel. It was wild out there that day and I'm amazed no ships went down during that thing.

I'm surprised there was no mention of the Anniversary yesterday somewhere. I understand it not being mentioned on our History Channel, as they've dedicated their programming all week up to today for Remembrance Week, but you would have thought it mentioned *somewhere* yesterday. I do hope we get to see the Dive Detectives episode where Mike and Warren Fletcher go back to Big Fitz to investigate what happened that night 35 years ago at some point this week.

The various crews of ships out there making the last runs of the Season must be all on their knees thanking the WeatherGods for the wonderful weather of the last week. Usually it's wicked this time of the year, but not at the moment.

Spiralgraph
11-11-2010, 06:44 PM
I was watching NBC news either yesterday or the day before and Brian Williams did mention that it was the anniversary. As they went to a commercial they played part of Lightfoot's song.

danceronice
11-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Nitpicking here, but Lightfoot's version is NOT a cover. He wrote the song; it's the original.

True, I should have said version, while Murdock's is the cover (but better. ;) )

On the one hand, late warmth is good for the ships, but since the lake temps are up all of us on the east side of one are bracing for massive lake-effect snow! (We already had a half-inch that lasted a day and a night here near Lake Michigan!)