PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Flatt Going to Debutant Ball

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Helenista
11-13-2010, 01:44 AM
Most debutante balls these days are connected to charities and families/friends make donations in honor of the girls who participate. They are not just "society events" anymore. I hope Rachael and her family have a wonderful time. She will look adorable in her long white dress.

aftershocks
11-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Ummmm... kind of a strange thread. Seems like sk9tingfan was more commenting on them going together? Rather than the fact they're going to a ball? In any case, as fans, we're pretty much on the outside looking in at all the skaters and giving our two cents. They're in the arena of life as figure skaters and being in the arena competing is very different I'm certain from being at our vantage point posting on a skating fan board.

They train at the same rink and seem to have struck up a friendship, which doesn't mean that it's necessarily romantic. They are both still growing as skaters and as people. I think Chan made it perfectly clear when he said to the media, "I'm not gay," that speculation in that area is not warranted nor welcomed. Unfortunately, I think his statement probably precipitated the speculation. Well, I guess some of us have nothing better to do (particularly in the media) than speculate on others' sexuality. I'm more interested in how these two will be performing on the ice this year. To be honest, I liked their skating more when I first saw them, but not so much now.

Yes, Chan has gorgeous edges and beautiful lines on the ice, but that shouldn't forgive his mistakes at Skate Canada. Yes, he deserved to be scored highly for what he did well, but his scores IMO, were over-inflated. He landed a beautiful quad, but does that mean skaters are allowed to perfect beautiful quads and let the rest of their jumps deteriorate and detract from their overall program, and that's A-okay??? Chan was overscored in sp and lp at 2010 Olympics. Will be watching closely to see if Chan's popularity with judges continues and whether it continues to go to his head and affect his development as a skater. Contrastingly, at 2009 Worlds, the judges somewhat underscored Chan (maybe a cool-it with the mouth message re his tete-a-tete with Joubert?). Anyways, skating world is sooo fickle. "A theatre of the absurd," for sure. Toller's got that right.

Regarding Flatt, I don't find her that interesting as a skater. For some reason, her skating to me seemed to have more potential when she was younger. Yes, she's a reliable competitor, very bright and well-liked in the skating community. It's nice for her that she won Nationals. Cool that she's trying to mix it up this season, so as to make a better impact with the audience. She's not one of my favorites, and right now, neither is Chan, but I'm sure they'll make a cute couple at the ball. Nothing wrong with that.

Dilng
11-14-2010, 04:59 AM
I think Rachael and Patrick have a pretty good grip on reality. I don't see any harm with them going to a debutante ball - I'm sure they're looking at it as a fun thing to do with their free time - both are finished high school and haven't started college yet. Sheesh, Rachael can't get a break - if she said she was staying home every night to review physics, she'd probably get grief, too.

In any event, going to a debutante ball is hardly an indication of mental imbalance. Unlike certain uber fan behaviors, including but not limited to taking meds to get through your skater's programs, cursing loudly and sobbing hysterically when your skater doesn't do well, and loudly bashing every other skater in the event. Now there's some insanity. :rolleyes:

:respec: :lol:

clarie
11-15-2010, 01:36 PM
They seem like two nice kids, teenagers, who need to go out and have a good time. I think they'll make a cute couple at this cotillion. I hope they have a blast. Both of them are much maligned on this board and I just don't see it. They are both cute kids. Also I like Rachel's new hair style. It suits her features and her age. :)

alilou
11-18-2010, 08:07 PM
When is it? Did it happen yet? I want pictures!

Sylvia
11-18-2010, 08:19 PM
When is it?
December 22nd (proceeds will benefit the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center).

alilou
11-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks Sylvia.

Jot the Dot Dot
12-24-2010, 01:06 AM
And here's a picture of our cutie with her lucky dance partner! http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1335.snc4/162705_1780782045158_1407640203_1977906_1388125_n. jpg

Skittl1321
12-24-2010, 02:36 AM
She looks great! Interesting she didn't go with a strapless dress- as they are very common, and she has a few strapless skating dresses so I figured she favored the style. But I think the dress she chose is much better for her- at least in that snapshot she looks gorgeous.

Sasha'sSpins
12-24-2010, 03:05 AM
I don't get this thread. I would go to a ball if I could LOL. I think it sounds fun!

I would too!

I think the thought of cotillion or debutante balls is rather quaint. They remind me a bit of some quinceaneras I've gone to.

Sasha'sSpins
12-24-2010, 03:09 AM
And here's a picture of our cutie with her lucky dance partner! http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1335.snc4/162705_1780782045158_1407640203_1977906_1388125_n. jpg

Thanks!

I think Rachael looks lovely! :cool: I actually like her hair here (I didn't for the skating). Where's Patick?? I want to see them together!

aaron
12-24-2010, 03:14 AM
Rachael looks gorgeous. Where's Patrick:lol:

Wyliefan
12-24-2010, 03:37 AM
I'm sick of strapless dresses; I'm glad she went with something different. She looks absolutely lovely.

RD
12-24-2010, 05:04 AM
She looks somewhat younger there.

v.Nistelrooy
12-24-2010, 05:11 AM
What a lovely girl. I love her hair.