PDA

View Full Version : Yankowskas and Coughlin's chances to win Nationals

Pages : 1 [2]

olympic
11-09-2010, 09:46 PM
I agree with all that but are D/B even really that consistent anymore? They have had a number of mistakes in competitions since last fall.

Actually, you have a point as far as falling. Didn't one of them uncharacteristically splat at '10 Worlds on the SBS 3t? Still, they nabbed 7th and some of their other technical elements have been getting stronger [I was impressed by their SBS spins last season]. I also want to mention that their DS could be better. It just seems there are lots of little things they could be doing to garner much better PCS. The payoff would be worth the small effort. Then, perhaps they would have more points to make up for falls and stumbles

I think they have a lot to offer the top ranks of US pairs, so I don't want to kick them to the curb just yet.

stjeaskategym
11-10-2010, 04:14 AM
I agree with all that but are D/B even really that consistent anymore? They have had a number of mistakes in competitions since last fall.

True, but I think expectations are too high. D/B skated clean LPs at Nationals, 4CC, and Worlds in their first season together, but they weren't going to be able to keep up that pace... Eventually they were going to come back down to earth. Since then, they've only skated one clean LP ('10 Nationals), but I would still call them relatively consistent. Clean LPs in pairs are a rarity, but D/B can often get through them making fewer mistakes than the others (although this was not the case this year at NHK). Their main weaknesses remain on the program components side.

Actually, you have a point as far as falling. Didn't one of them uncharacteristically splat at '10 Worlds on the SBS 3t? Still, they nabbed 7th and some of their other technical elements have been getting stronger [I was impressed by their SBS spins last season]. I also want to mention that their DS could be better. It just seems there are lots of little things they could be doing to garner much better PCS. The payoff would be worth the small effort. Then, perhaps they would have more points to make up for falls and stumbles

I definitely agree, although I'm not sure the "little things" can be corrected with a small effort. Their SP death spiral issue should be addressed immediately, but in terms of program components, that can take a lot of time and patience. I'm sure they are working very hard, but years of poor posture and stretch don't go away overnight. It's probably much easier to correct technical elements than it is to fix something like poor posture.

haribobo
11-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Don't E/L have rocky beginnings but usually clean it up by nationals and worlds?

I'd say their general pattern has been- looking great at Liberty and Indy. Then total bombs on GP series. Then quite good at Nationals. They've only been to Worlds once so I couldn't say there's a pattern for that yet.

IMO, their performance in China was one of their best outings ever at a GP event, although they could still improve of course.

I see a lot of teams being on relatively even footing coming into Nats this year - Y/C, E/L, D/B, and C/S, as well as possibly Davis/Leftheris, Marley/Brubaker, and Donlan/Speroff also. Should be a good comp!