PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what happened to Yan Liu of China?

YanLiuFan
11-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Yan Liu of China is my favorite figure skater and my favorite athlete! :cheer2:

I have been a fan of Yan Liu since I saw her skate her long program in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy. I thought that she should have finished higher than 11th place overall (15th in the short program and 11th in the long program). After the 2006 Torino Olympics, I thought that she would improve and become one of the better skaters (i.e., at least in the Top 10 in the world). However, her career did not "go" as I had anticipated... :slinkaway

I was looking forward to watching Yan Liu skate at the 2010 Cup of China; however, she did not skate. :( Does anyone know what happened to Yan Liu? Is she hurt/injured? Did she retire? Is she going to skate professionally?

If anyone knows anything, then please let me know because I have been unable to find out what happened to Yan Liu.

Thank you very much! ;)

AznSkateFan
11-08-2010, 09:47 PM
She wasn't given any GP assignments right off the bat, so my 3 thoughts are she's either retired, is injured, or the federation is trying to give some of their younger athletes a chance in the GP. I thought Yan Liu would do better internationally after her great skate at the '06 Olympics, but her results haven't improved since then. I did notice a slight improvement with her after she went to David Wilson for choreography, but her jumps haven't always been consistent and her levels on footwork/spins are usually low.

caseyedwards
11-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I saw that she has programs for the 2010-2011 season so I don't think she retired. I bet she goes to 4CC.

YanLiuFan
11-09-2010, 12:28 AM
She wasn't given any GP assignments right off the bat, so my 3 thoughts are she's either retired, is injured, or the federation is trying to give some of their younger athletes a chance in the GP. I thought Yan Liu would do better internationally after her great skate at the '06 Olympics, but her results haven't improved since then. I did notice a slight improvement with her after she went to David Wilson for choreography, but her jumps haven't always been consistent and her levels on footwork/spins are usually low.

Thank you very much, AznSkateFan! :)

I agree with you about Yan Liu doing "better internationally after her great skate at the '06 Olympics..." As I stated in my post, I thought that she would improve and become one of the better skaters (i.e., at least in the Top 10 in the world). However, she did not... :( I also agree with you that she did improve after David Wilson became her choreographer.

Although it is difficult with all of the up-and-coming young skaters around the world, I hope that Yan Liu does not give up. :cheer2:

YanLiuFan
11-09-2010, 12:31 AM
I saw that she has programs for the 2010-2011 season so I don't think she retired. I bet she goes to 4CC.

Thank you very much, caseyedwards! :)

I hope that you are right and Yan Liu goes to Four Continents! :cheer2:

gofigure
11-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Yan Liu retired.

YanLiuFan
11-09-2010, 02:59 AM
Yan Liu retired.

Hi gofigure! :)

She retired? :( Really? :confused: Where did you hear about it?

Thank you,

YanLiuFan :cheer2:

YanLiuFan
11-09-2010, 03:04 AM
Hi all! :)

If Yan Liu has retired, then does anyone know if she is going to skate professionally?

Thank you,

gofigure
11-09-2010, 03:28 AM
Someone who went to China last summer mentioned that she had retired. I can't remember what they said she was doing - going to school maybe? I don't think she is going to skate professionally.

YanLiuFan
11-09-2010, 04:43 AM
Someone who went to China last summer mentioned that she had retired. I can't remember what they said she was doing - going to school maybe? I don't think she is going to skate professionally.

Thank you very much for the updated information, gofigure! :)

Have a good one! ;)