PDA

View Full Version : Tomas Verner is awesome

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

ninadel
11-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Congrats to Tommy on winning his first GP! :cheer2:

geoskate
11-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Ditto. Perhaps the change of venue for his traning is helping him with his focus, so that he bring to the ice in competition what he can do in practice. I hope so.

ETA: Won't he have qualified for the Grand Prix Final with this win? He has (15+11) 26 points, which should ensure him a spot no matter what happens at TEB.

Kati
11-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Good for Tomas! Congrats!!!

siberia82
11-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Kudos to Tomas for winning gold in Russia!!! :cheer: :biggrinbo :encore: I'm very pleased that he brought Tigger to the ice and not Eeyore. ;)

ETA: Won't he have qualified for the Grand Prix Final with this win? He has (15+11) 26 points, which should ensure him a spot no matter what happens at TEB.

I haven't checked my math yet, but I think he's safe. :)

ninadel
11-20-2010, 03:42 PM

Good question. Mathematically he's in.

So far we have...
1. Daisuke (15+15)
2. Patrick (15+13)
3. Tomas (15+11)
4. Nobunari (13+13)
5. Jeremy (13+11)

Next week Takahiko, Brandon, and Florent can qualify, but only two of them can qualify above Tomas (Takahiko if he medals and either Brandon or Florent if one of them wins TEB).

This is based on Lanna's figures from earlier:

In FRA will be Takahiko KOZUKA (15), Brandon MROZ (13), Florent AMODIO (11), Kevin REYNOLDS (9), and Brian JOUBERT (9).

psycho
11-20-2010, 04:37 PM
So happy for Tomas! I'm so glad COR went to a truly great skater and a deserving person! :kickass::respec::respec::respec:

aymkjb88
11-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Yay, Tomas won! Congratulations! :encore::respec::biggrinbo:kickass::cheer::cheer2:

So good to see him being healthy and happy again. He reminds me a lot of two of my all time favorate male skaters, Browning and Kulik. What a showman and what a charmer!

My favorite performance from Tomas,

Always look at the bright side of life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-O8jSN5J1Y)

aymkjb88
11-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Post FS interview @ CoR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4jg-smAaws)

It's hard not to like this guy. :lol: He thought he's gonna be in 3rd place, so winning the title must be a pleasant surprise for him. Check it out if you want to know what happened to the lovely blue shirt for MJ number. :D

His English is excellent (the best among European skaters who're not native English speakers), his Russian is very impressive as well although he's quite humble about it. I know he also speaks fluent German and also some Italian and French. He's amazing.

pinky166
11-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Post FS interview @ CoR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4jg-smAaws)

Wow he is just so adorable and seems like such a lovely person. Very impressive English as well. So glad to see him happy and skating well again. He's only been training in Canada for about 2 months and already the progress has been leaps and bounds. So proud of him, I hope he rocks at the GPF because like he said he has nothing to lose.

pinky166
11-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Next week Takahiko, Brandon, and Florent can qualify, but only two of them can qualify above Tomas (Takahiko if he medals and either Brandon or Florent if one of them wins TEB).

Can't Joubert or Reynolds also qualify? I know obviously neither can qualify above Tomas, and both can't qualify, but if one of them wins then 4+1 should make it to the final.

ninadel
11-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Can't Joubert or Reynolds also qualify? I know obviously neither can qualify above Tomas, and both can't qualify, but if one of them wins then 4+1 should make it to the final.

It's possible that one of them could bump Jeremy out, true! I hadn't even thought of that.

You'd think Joubidou could do it... and if I recall he's made the GPF in a similar fashion before, but he doesn't have a good TEB record does he?

pinky166
11-20-2010, 07:14 PM
It's possible that one of them could bump Jeremy out, true! I hadn't even thought of that.

You'd think Joubidou could do it... and if I recall he's made the GPF in a similar fashion before, but he doesn't have a good TEB record does he?

Not last year. But usually he tends to bomb one GP (and when I say bomb I mean like 4th place) and then wins the next. The field at TEB isn't the easiest though.

dinakt
11-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Tomas is such a lovely blend of accessible and aristocratic :) Wonderful skater, and deserves good results. Congrats Tomas, keep it up!

Lanie
11-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Yay Tomas! I still am not fond of his LP, but the SP is great. Wish him allll the best at GPF! :cheer2:

(Is he going to GPF? yes, right?)

aftershocks
11-21-2010, 01:26 AM
Thanks for posting that link to Tomas' Festa on Ice exhibition. Really fun... I hadn't seen it before. I love Tomas' sweet-natured cool. It's great to see him receiving all this love. He got my attention with this 2007 Worlds performance, where I think he should have medaled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQCqgTFFn8

Like I said before, I'd love to see Tomas skate to a medley of Steve McQueen and/or Paul Newman (movie music), and a Risky Business (Tom Cruise) exhibition. Tomas is such an enjoyable skater to watch. Congrats on your CoR win, Tomas!

I'd love to see a Worlds podium of Dai, Abbott, Verner. For me, Chan and Oda are not my favorites because IMO the difference with them is they don't exhibit any personality or style -- yes, Chan has smooth edges and an amazing talent, and Oda is a superb jumper. They will both continue to receive love from the judges too, even though neither are truly complete all-around skaters. Dai, Abbott, and Verner excel at being good athletes and artists with depth, difficulty, and an extra dimension to their skating, which Chan and Oda lack.