PDA

View Full Version : Crone and Porier - 2010/11 :)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

clarie
11-07-2010, 12:17 PM
This season, I believe, is a breakthrough season for this young team, with Scot and Tessa gone for most (if not all) of the season. I believe they have left their closest competitors slightly behind (Weaver and Poje, who I also like) but we'll know for sure after Skate America. I'm just a fan and not a skater or judge so I would like to hear what some of you have to say about their skating. I've heard complaints about Vanessa's posture, but couldn't detect anything negative at Skate Canada and watching on TV after. I really loved their costumes which suited the LP and looked crisp and clean and showed up very nicely on ice.

Comments?

L'amour
11-07-2010, 12:40 PM
I fisr saw them last year during the grand prix season and I din't liked tehm at all, i don't no why, but later at the Oly they apeard to be another team for me.

I really like their FD this season and their skating much more confident.

briancoogaert
11-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I've liked them since their YoYo Ma FD (two seasons ago). I can still watch it over and over.
Last season, I was not fond of their programs.
But this season, I love their FD. I have the feeling that they find their own style. And what I particularly like is that it hides her flaws.

pani
11-07-2010, 03:10 PM
I think this team could be on podium at WCh this season. They have now third score from all competitiors. And they will improve there levels for some elements.
Will see, what score they will have in USA

The Accordion
11-08-2010, 01:11 AM
I love this team and the variety they have shown in their programs and their hard work and determination to keep improving and challenging themselves all the time.

People are entitled to their opinions of course but I think the complaints about Vanessa's posture and lack of expression or too much expression or whatever else is supposedly wrong with her are overblown. Personally I am much more affected by the ease they have skating with each other after all these years and their genuineness.

Last year in their OD at the Olympics they seemed intimidated and nervous and their skating was not what it could have been. But by the FD they looked much more comfortable and they seemed to have learned and grown from the whole experience. By Worlds they were rocking it!

I am excited to watch this team over the upcoming years.

Tak
11-08-2010, 01:54 AM
I like this team a lot. Something in their quirkiness appeals to me. Even though they are young - they have a distinctiveness that so many teams lack. I even liked their offbeat choreography and costumes last year [although I'm almost a minority of one on that]. They definitely need to work posture, stretch and line - more and better ballet for her! - but I think she has improved noticeably this season.

Working with Christopher Dean will help them in so many ways - that dance is all about lines and angles - making her hold positions will definitely force her to concentrate on maintaining her lines. I expect them to improve a lot this season.

Technically I think they are one of the best teams out there. They do some incredibly difficult stuff - they were doing difficult twizzle entries before they became mandatory. I certainly hope they continue working with Dean and/or other outside choreographers.

I have great :respec: for them as skaters, partly for their ability, and partly because - like D/W in the US - they are not ballroom ice dancers but are pushing for something different. Which I like. But it's hard to do this in North America - which for some reason has been the last holdout for the ballroom style. If V/M skip this season, I think C/P have a strong chance to medal at Worlds.

dinakt
11-08-2010, 03:46 AM
I don't know yet to what degree I like them- have to follow them more- but they are to be commended for trying to find their own style in an interesting way, through use of modern dance and unusual lines. I enjoy their FD quite a bit and it might be great with more mileage.

Ziggy
11-08-2010, 04:18 AM
Vanessa's posture is better but still weak for a team at this level.

I think their FD is an absolutely stunning program. SD is ok, although not outstanding.

I love their basic skating, it's so smooth and soft. :swoon:

JasperBoy
11-08-2010, 05:37 AM
I saw their FD at SC and was mesmerized. The choreography stood out by a mile. Although I have been somewhat indifferent to C&P in the past, this FD is a winner, and they interpret it with great style.

casken
11-08-2010, 06:56 AM
I really loved all of the ODs and FDs they've done over the past three seasons. It's great that they're are getting more recognition now.

I :swoon: last years FD so so much that the new one pales a bit in comparison, but it's still my favorite thing I've seen so far this season. I actually think their team could have done a better job of choreographing to that music than what Dean gave them, but whatever, it's a done deal.

LOVE the SD too, minus that version of the song.

mia joy
11-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I never liked them, I must say, cause to me they always seemed just cold - in the typical Canadian dance team kind of cold. I actually never liked any Canadian ice dancers, I guess because they all always seem so stiff and out of emotion.
This season's dances of C/P are like giving up on the coldness a bit and I guess I could even like their FD just as much as anyone, but there's one huge issue I have about it - I was already charmed by an Eleanor Rigby free dance, not so long ago ;) so there is no way I'm gonna love this one as much as that one. Will always have Meryl and Charlie in my head hearing this music, sorry :P so, as much as I see this FD is really good, it still bugs me a bit. And it still lacks emotion anyway.

~tapdancer~
11-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I think I would like their FD better if the music was different. This version of ER just sounds dry. Doesn't bring out the emotion.

mia joy, one Canadian ice dance team that was not stiff and emotionless was Bourne/Kraatz. I loved them for years, always interested to see what they would come up with next. Their soft knees and flowing style was evident the very first year they won Canadians...1993. It was harder for me to follow them back in the 90s without the internet and since I'm American, I could only see them at their international comps. I have enjoyed immensely being able to see their old programs now. Funny but the only recent Canadian team that I think had that B/K vibe was Hann-McCurdy/Coreno but they didn't have B/K's skating skills. Too bad. V/M are in a different category altogether to me. They are amazing in a completely different way from B/K.

Bue
11-08-2010, 02:14 PM
I loved their FD last season but this is a huge step up for them. Great call on working with Christopher Dean! It's a brilliant program, my favourite of the season so far, even if I think there are still some costuming and presentation issues (though not nearly as bad as previous years!) .

I would love to hear who these "stiff and emotionless" Canadian dance teams are...

Jun Y
11-08-2010, 02:41 PM
What's the deal with the blaring blue and red costumes? Are they meant to be patrio... oh wait, they are not even American or French. I don't get what the relatively abstract choreography has to do with the song Eleanor Rigby either --- at least it did not leave me with the sense of "loneliness."

briancoogaert
11-08-2010, 03:26 PM
What's the deal with the blaring blue and red costumes? Are they meant to be patrio... oh wait, they are not even American or French. I don't get what the relatively abstract choreography has to do with the song Eleanor Rigby either --- at least it did not leave me with the sense of "loneliness."
Well, you probably don't know the Beatles discography. ;)
Their best of was in 2 discs : The red one (http://www.thebeatles.com/#/albums/The_Beatles_1962-1966) and the blue one (http://www.thebeatles.com/#/albums/The_Beatles_1967-1970)

About the choreography and the theme, I can't help you. I guess they decided to do something modern, new, without a real sense, just for the pleasure to feel the music. :confused:

Does anyone know if there is a message in their choreography ?