PDA

View Full Version : the irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Sylvia
11-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I think that Mirai Nagasu deserves her own thread in the Trash Can. :P

From Phil Hersh's 10/28 Globetrotting blog entry:

*Also much anticipated: Mirai Nagasu's season debut at next week's Cup of China. Nagasu, the leading U.S. finisher at the 2010 Olympics (4th) and worlds (7th), missed a month of training in late summer because of a stress fracture in her right foot, which she uses for takeoffs on her lutz and flip jumps.

Her coach, Frank Carroll, told me Thursday by telephone that the injury has healed to the point where her lutz and flip are fine. Carroll said the U.S. Figure Skating international committee gave Nagasu the go-ahead for China after monitoring her last week.

A couple weeks earlier, Carroll had what he called a "knockdown, drag-out'' with the skater because he didn't think she was working hard enough. "It's never easy with Mirai,'' he said.

The irrepressible Nagasu would agree -- and did, more or less, in a tweet last week: "I told my mom my legs are worth gold. . .she told me that it's unfortunate my brain doesn't have the same value.''

From the press conference after winning the SP at Cup of China:

Nagasu said she spent much of her recovery time hanging out with her cousins at the beach.

"I'm not going to lie," she said. "I had a really good time off the ice for two months. I got to go to the beach - even though I live in California, I never get to go - so I didn't really think about my injury and before I knew it, I had to go back on the ice."
And yes, her fans are still waiting anxiously for Nagasu to deliver a solid free skate after winning the short program...

miki88
11-06-2010, 03:48 PM
:lol: Well, at least she's always honest with her thoughts.

pinky166
11-06-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm giving Mirai a break for now. If this continues all season, then I'll panic, but otherwise, I think she'll be just fine once she's had some more time to recover.

DickButtonFan
11-06-2010, 03:52 PM
She didn't skate that lp like her heart was in it. Im not a fan of this music she picked but i guess it's not as bad as some of the other skater's choices. But yeah she was off the ice forever so hopefully she can fix her underrotating problems. Hope next time she will do better. I'm surprised she did as well as she did for so much time off.

Polymer Bob
11-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Injury or not, it seems Mirai is turning into a short program skater like Sasha.
I hope she is fully recovered by Nationals.

krenseby
11-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Injury or not, it seems Mirai is turning into a short program skater like Sasha.
I hope she is fully recovered by Nationals.

To her credit, Mirai seems do her LPs well at Nationals most of the time.

Jammers
11-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Mirai doesn't seem to have the mental toughness to be a champion. Now way should she have not medaled in that weak field. This is getting to be a habit. She doesn't just not skate well in her LP but she totally collapses and puts herself out of medal contention. Amazing.

Sylvia
11-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Well, there's a reason I included the word "exasperating" in this thread title! :D

Wyliefan
11-06-2010, 06:14 PM
she told me that it's unfortunate my brain doesn't have the same value.

Now we know where she gets her sassiness! :lol:

Coco
11-06-2010, 06:15 PM
There was more choreo in the LP, at least that's how it seemed to me.

I'm going to hope that her SP choreo was watered down because that is seriously the worst program I've ever seen a skater of her caliber saddled with.

I think her problems in the LP came from a lack of conditioning. It was not a true choke, like the worlds LP.

If she does it again, I'll worry.

But they might want to think about repeating the loop and not the flip. The flip is only worth an extra .2, and she can reliably earn more GOE on the loop.

Jenna
11-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Mirai doesn't seem to have the mental toughness to be a champion. Now way should she have not medaled in that weak field. This is getting to be a habit. She doesn't just not skate well in her LP but she totally collapses and puts herself out of medal contention. Amazing.

I agree that Mirai's tendency to bomb the FS is alarming, but these sweeping generalizations of yours are a bit over the top for me. She's still young and still learning, and she just came back from a sidelining injury. I really don't think we can write her off yet.

P.S. How was this field "weak?" You have former World Champion Miki Ando, Akiko Suzuki, who won this event last year, and former World Junior Champion, Alena Leonova. The top three are all very strong.

Jammers
11-06-2010, 06:21 PM
For a skater to be in first place after a SP and still not medal is alarming to me. Miria doesn't simply make small mistakes she makes huge mistakes that take her out of medal contention. This is becoming a habit.

Indra486
11-06-2010, 06:31 PM
For a skater to be in first place after a SP and still not medal is alarming to me. Miria doesn't simply make small mistakes she makes huge mistakes that take her out of medal contention. This is becoming a habit.

Wouldn't this be the second time? Lord, to repeat blowing a FS after placing 1st is bad and I do hope she doesn't continue that way. At Nationals, Mirai seems to have a better track record of holding onto first after the short.

I don't think she's completely mentally weak. This is the same girl who delivered a clean as possible FS when she entered the rink in tears and made a case for herself at the Olympics. I haven't seen the videos of how bad, bad was but I do agree if she keeps this up, it's going to be a habit.

caseyedwards
11-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Is the underrotating technique or nerves? Or are nerves making her underrotate. If nerves are making her underrotate would better technique help or a sports psychologist.

Jammers
11-06-2010, 06:52 PM
At Worlds i was devastated at how she skated right off the podium. This result pisses me off more then anything. She's capable of so much more.