PDA

View Full Version : You have to see them skating live

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

The Accordion
11-02-2010, 02:17 AM
I noticed in a few threads people mentioning that they understood better why Patrick Chan's marks are as high as they are after seeing him skate in person.

I have also noticed a discrepancy of opinion on his skating, marks and placement between people who have been at the competitions compared to those who have watched on TV or online.

In your opinion - what other skaters fall in this category? Seeing them live makes a big difference?

(PS - I am just using Patrick as one example - so please don't make this a bash thread)

miki88
11-02-2010, 02:35 AM
I think Kostner is another example of a skater that is better seen live for her speed and ice coverage. However, I still feel that TV view is better for evaluating artistry of a skater, because it's up, close, and personal, whereas skating skills are better appreciated live.

Tak
11-02-2010, 02:36 AM
I think Michelle Kwan had a lot more charisma live than on TV. I used to think she was overmarked on the presentation score, until I saw her live and then I understood why her second mark was so high.

I think dance is where seeing it live makes all the difference. Speed is a huge part of the mark in dance, and it can be deceptive on TV. Last time I saw them live Sam/Bates and Bob/Sol were slower than on TV, and K/K had far more charisma and appeal.

gkelly
11-02-2010, 03:27 AM
Not a current example, but seeing Grishuk & Platov live definitely had that effect on me

Cheylana
11-02-2010, 04:17 AM
Emily Hughes, maybe not so much for skating skills but for personality and extroverted energy. She always got a big reaction from the crowds at Nationals, at least the 3 years I was there (05-07).

dinakt
11-02-2010, 04:28 AM
I think it's so individual.
I perceive Chan the same live and on TV; I think if somebody has been to a few competitions, then the skating skills translate to the screen because one thinks in 3D and imagines the skaters live. But Verner and Joubert stood out for me live due to that darn " charisma". I am not advocating judging on charisma, either- it's that i was rather surprised at the strength of the intangible.
As fas as I remember; Flatt, Dube/ Davison, Kostner, Vol/ Morozov looked better live.
D/W were unforgettable live at 2009 Worlds- am not sure about TV.
Generally I find skaters much more beautiful live.

BittyBug
11-02-2010, 04:35 AM
For me it was Verner. I was never particularly a fan until I saw him in person, but it wasn't a "charisma" thing as someone else noted (because I don't really see that so much in him) but rather his skating skills, which were muted by TV. In person his skills really stood out (even against he who shall not be mentioned because I've seen him live too and I still think he's overmarked :P ).

newbatgirl
11-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Ryan Bradley is a great performer.

He lights up an arena when he is "on". Seeing his LP live at Skate America last year was one of the highlights of my trip.

mysticchic
11-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Alissa is even more amazing in person then she is on TV. Same with Jermey.
The one year I went to nationals Kwan wasn't there and Sasha was. She was beautiful. The only time I enjoyed watching her. But I will never go back to nationals unless I am working or something.
I never really "got" ice dance until I saw Davis and White in person either. It's not even close to what you see on tv. The power, the speed, the edging is to die for.
Also people don't look so orange on the ice.

barbk
11-02-2010, 05:26 AM
Alissa is even more amazing in person then she is on TV. Same with Jermey.
The one year I went to nationals Kwan wasn't there and Sasha was. She was beautiful. The only time I enjoyed watching her. But I will never go back to nationals unless I am working or something.
I never really "got" ice dance until I saw Davis and White in person either. It's not even close to what you see on tv. The power, the speed, the edging is to die for.
Also people don't look so orange on the ice.

You see skating so much differently live. Ice dance is almost impossible for me to really appreciate on TV, but live you see these incredible differences in power and edging and speed. On the singles front you see some skaters move effortlessly down the entire length of the ice in just a few strokes, while others are like the energizer bunny whirring away furiously but not getting anywhere fast. You also see some skaters that just command attention, and others that don't. Jump height and distance covered also is pretty tough to see on TV.

And I think you're right -- the skaters don't tend to look as orange live, I guess because their makeup is behaving the way it was intended -- to look good in the arena. (Though I still think that most of the skaters look just as great at practices without all the over the top makeup.)

Aussie Willy
11-02-2010, 05:38 AM
When I saw Kwan at 1998 Worlds she blew me away. Her SP was amazing. I totally got her.

Plushenko when he was a young one was fantastic too.

jobelle
11-02-2010, 06:10 AM
I agree with those who say ice dance is better live. I'm a big dance fan ... my sister not. But after attending the free dance competition at Skate America 2008, I remember that we both came away commenting that the programs make a lot more sense when you can see how the choreography, lifts, etc. fill the ice and create patterns -- not to mention the speed and power you see live that doesn't always translate well to the TV.

I came away from the same competition thinking that Flatt is better in person and absolutely wowed by Yu Na (but I 'm wowed by her on TV as well).

bek
11-02-2010, 06:29 AM
I noticed in a few threads people mentioning that they understood better why Patrick Chan's marks are as high as they are after seeing him skate in person.

I have also noticed a discrepancy of opinion on his skating, marks and placement between people who have been at the competitions compared to those who have watched on TV or online.

In your opinion - what other skaters fall in this category? Seeing them live makes a big difference?

(PS - I am just using Patrick as one example - so please don't make this a bash thread)

I actually would like to see Patrick live one day. It does sound like he'd be amazing to see.

miffy
11-02-2010, 06:39 AM
I didn't used to understand the fuss about B/A until I saw them live and had to admit that they were pretty good. ;)

I remember being very disappointed by ChaiSahks because they weren't nearly as fast as on tv. This was in 2004 so maybe they had just slowed down by then!

Loves_Shizuka
11-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Seeing Miki Ando live (at 07 worlds) totally changed my opinion of her. In person she is much faster, more refined, more elegant and a better performer than she across on TV. Her jumps are also monsters. :)

Seeing Mao live is a treat too.