PDA

View Full Version : Blades and Balloons in Boston!

icecat
11-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Miss Massachusetts 2010 and The Skating Club of Boston Present:

BLADES AND BALLOONS

A Figure Skating Exhibition and Silent Auction to Benefit

The Children’s Miracle Network

Saturday, November, 20th, 2010

From 6:30-10:00pm

at The Skating Club of Boston

1240 Soldier’s Field Road

Brighton, MA

Adults: $45 Under 12: $25

Featuring performances by Miss Massachusetts 2010, Loren Galler Rabinowitz (Two-Time US Champion), and the best up and coming talent in US Figure Skating!

Hors d’Oeuvres and Dessert

Free Skate Following the Show

(Skate Rentals Available)

Tickets can be purchased online at MISSMASS.ORG

Donations are appreciated!

About Miss Massachusetts 2010: Loren Galler Rabinowitz is the reigning Miss Massachusetts, and will represent Massachusetts at the 90th Miss America Pageant (January 15th, 2011 on ABC). An alumna of The Park School (’01), BB&N (’04) and Harvard University (’10), Loren will begin medical school next fall to pursue her dream of becoming a pediatrician. Loren is a former United States National Novice and Junior Champion, and United States Championship Bronze Medalist in ice dancing, as well as a classical pianist. Loren is honored to be serving as the goodwill ambassador for Children’s Miracle Network during her year as Miss Massachusetts, and to have this opportunity to use her love of skating for such an important cause!

About CMN: Children’s Miracle Network, the national platform of the Miss America Organization, is a charity that raises funds for more than 170 children’s hospitals. Donations to Children’s Miracle Network are used to provide charitable care, purchase life-saving equipment, and fund research and education programs that save and improve the lives of 17 million children each year.

Funds raised by Blades & Balloons will support Children’s Hospital Boston. With the recent economic downturn, your support has never been more vital.

For more information, please visit www.childrensmiraclenetwork.org.

SaSherka
11-19-2010, 11:06 PM
The show is tomorrow night!

More info:
http://missmass.org/

Blades & Balloons show info & tickets (http://missmassachusetts.tripod.com/id114.html)

Facebook page with participant photos (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blades-and-Balloons/163375493674740)

Cute radio interview I just stumbled upon "5ft2 science nerd who is going to Miss America" (http://mix1041.radio.com/2010/11/12/ms-massachusetts-interview-2/)

ioana
11-21-2010, 04:40 AM
Just got back from Blades & Balloons. It sounds like they managed to raise quite a bit of money for CMN and all the seats at SCOB are close to the ice so everyone who went got to enjoy the skating.

Both Donlan/Spearoff and Castelli/Shnapir were there and it seems like D/S are getting over the injury they had at Easterns. They did part of their Stairway to Heaven LP, with throw double loop and sal instead of triples, but looked very good otherwise.
C/S skate with a ton of power and I love their ice coverage. They did a nice, fast death spiral in the warm-up that went around at least 5 times and got a lot of cheers. Made me miss the days of non-contorted death spirals. Their Free Falling program ended with a headbanger was both :eek: and :rollin:. They put their height difference to good use on that move.

Lauren was last to skate and did a nice program to The Prayer with Andrew Korda. Not a throw-away exhibition, either. They had a nice pendulum COD lift and I remember seeing a lot of close footwork in dance holds. Andrew is taking lessons from her now and Lauren was saying it's great to skate with someone who does *exactly* what she wants :P.

They had an open free skate after the gala and originally the skaters from the show were supposed to stay and skate with everyone, but most of them left after taking a few pictures. They did have a mini-autograph booth set up and Lauren was there with Andrew signing and chatting away when Sasherka and I left.

shan
11-21-2010, 09:15 PM
That sounds like a great program!! Thanks for the report.

I'm glad to hear that C/S had a good skate and that Donlan/Speroff are back on the ice after his injury.

Lauren is competing in Miss America in January, correct?

literaryfreak
11-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the report, ioana! Was Jason Wong there? I saw him on the participant list and wanted to go, but I couldn't.

ioana
11-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the report, ioana! Was Jason Wong there? I saw him on the participant list and wanted to go, but I couldn't.

Yes, he was. Brought back his Falling Slowly program and looked very good. The usual deep edges, great flow, musical timing --you know the drill ;). He wasn't really going for a 3 axel, but I"m sure that will change for Nationals. Stephen Carriere, OTOH, was also listed as a performer, but wasn't there. Maybe he wanted to use the additional time to practice before Nationals?