PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think of This?

missflick
10-28-2010, 04:15 AM
First read this:
http://www.insideedition.com/news/5256/real-life-time-traveler.aspx

Then see this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6a4T2tJaSU

Interesting, even if I am not buying the time traveller crap.

BigB08822
10-28-2010, 04:26 AM
I saw this today and talked to my boyfriend about it. There is 1 big problem with assuming this is a time traveller. Who would she be talking to?!? There would have been no way for the phone to work unless it was able to communicate with those in the future. Additionally, hasn't it been theorized that time travel may be possible but only into the future? I thought I remember reading that traveling into the past is about impossible with current physics laws but I am too lazy to do the research.

The truth is, we only see a woman holding SOMETHING to her head and appearing to be talking. We know nothing more than that. I could probably come up with 100 scenarios to explain her. As an example: 10 minutes earlier she was in some kind of accident that resulted in a scratch on her left cheek. She is walking down the street holding a bandage to her face to stop the bleeding and is talking to herself, which we all do whether we like to admit it or not.

I read a good one about her possibly having been to the dentist for an extraction and she was holding an ice pack to her cheek. She could have been talking to herself or moving her jaw because it was cold and going numb from the ice pack so she was moving it to keep some blood circulating. I like this theory the best.

Matryeshka
10-28-2010, 04:58 AM
It's most likely a hearing aid she's adjusting to get the sound right before the movie starts. :)

Norlite
10-28-2010, 05:38 AM
She can't be talking into the phone, even if it was proven she was a time traveller. (!!) What did she do? Transport the entire cell tower network back too?

:lol:

Norlite
10-28-2010, 05:41 AM
I read a good one about her possibly having been to the dentist for an extraction and she was holding an ice pack to her cheek.

I read one that said the man walking ahead of her was her husband, he was walking too fast, as husbands are known to do, and she was yelling at him to slow down and wait for her. Makes sense to me as to the talking. What she was holding to her cheek could have tons of explainations.

Tinami Amori
10-28-2010, 07:57 AM
She can't be talking on a mobil phone.. there were no re-transmitters in the 1920's.

Here is my guess, if we have to think "devices" and not some "human circumstances"..

This is behind the scenes footage of the “Circus” Hollywood premier in 1928.
I assume it was covered by the press…..

This person could be the “press” or some-one interested in recording some-thing inside the theater or around the theater.….. Possibly this person is carrying a simple (1920’s) Gerlakh/Schottky ribbon microphone wired to a smallest possible recording box hidden under the clothes.

PDilemma
10-28-2010, 02:05 PM
She can't be talking into the phone, even if it was proven she was a time traveller. (!!) What did she do? Transport the entire cell tower network back too?

:lol:

Yeah, I'm not getting how no one figured out that little missing detail.

Unless she's from a future farther than us that doesn't need a network!! :eek::lol::lol::lol:

GarrAarghHrumph
10-28-2010, 02:41 PM
It's most likely a hearing aid she's adjusting to get the sound right before the movie starts. :)

I also believe it's probably a hearing aid. To me, it looks like one of the "purse" hearing aids, similar to this one - although this one is from the 1930s:

http://beckerexhibits.wustl.edu/did/images1/purse.jpg

She'd hold the hearing device up to her ear, and the purse would contain the microphone and battery.

In the US, especially at that time, women would have wanted to conceal, as best as possible, their use of a hearing aid. Thus the "purse" style models that were out there. They were less obvious than the other types of devices available.

danceronice
10-28-2010, 02:54 PM
My question would be, in 1927, was that REALLY large enough to be a hearing aid? (Tape recorder, given the bulk involved, seems highly unlikely even if she's carrying the reel to reel under her coat.) Far too early to be a radio of any kind that small, including a radio transmitter--even plane to plane was dicey at the time and three years prior the world flight was communicating by hand signals in visual range and when they were separated, they were SOL. Unlikely any civilians would have any sort of small radio technology.

But the point about the cell towers stands. Even if she were a time traveler talking to another time traveler on the phone, how would they be transmitting? (Though, of course, were she a time traveler she'd almost have to be from OUR future when advanced quantum mechanics is even more advanced, and who knows what they use for talking then? ;) Maybe she's from the USS Enterprise, we know the communicators pretty much work wherever!)

PDilemma
10-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Maybe she's from the USS Enterprise, we know the communicators pretty much work wherever!)

:lol: You solved the mystery!! That has to be it!!!

Matryeshka
10-28-2010, 03:12 PM
My question would be, in 1927, was that REALLY large enough to be a hearing aid? (Tape recorder, given the bulk involved, seems highly unlikely even if she's carrying the reel to reel under her coat.)

Yes, it is. I just looked it up--if I had to hazard a guess, it would be the French Camera style hearing aid. You can look at it here (http://beckerexhibits.wustl.edu/did/20thcent/index.htm). I probably should have put that link up in the original post.

Ahhh, I always knew that history degree would pay off someday...

cruisin
10-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Isn't this guy a film maker? Isn't it also possible that the film is fake? That he edited the original and added the "old woman"?

In lieu of that, I agree, it's probably a hearing aid. And she may also be talking to the man in front of her while holding it.

marbri
10-28-2010, 05:03 PM
I think Viral Video Marketing. Get free publicity/name recognition for his company Yellow Fever Productions. Probably sat their with his friends watching the DVD and they someone noticed the odd looking woman and how it looks like she's talking on a cellphone and the idea was born.

danceronice
10-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes, it is. I just looked it up--if I had to hazard a guess, it would be the French Camera style hearing aid. You can look at it here (http://beckerexhibits.wustl.edu/did/20thcent/index.htm). I probably should have put that link up in the original post.

Ahhh, I always knew that history degree would pay off someday...

Could be, but their own description makes it seem unlikely.

Probably she just had an earache! (And as for viral marketing, he IS standing in front of a huge movie poster for something totally unrealted. Looks like a film about the Troubles. And I confess I'm somewhat intrigued.)

Satellitegirl
10-28-2010, 09:28 PM
lol yeah I was going to mention the network thing as well. I like the star trek explanation though. :rofl: