PDA

View Full Version : Tonsil stones: Not for the weary

Jayar
10-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Has anybody ever had these? Have you had success in treating them?

Aussie Willy
10-28-2010, 03:24 AM
I have never heard of these so you made me check Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith

venja
10-28-2010, 06:26 AM
"Tonsil rocks" are gross. I must say that I do have these once in a blue moon, and luckily they get dislodged easily as soon as they're formed. I'm not sure that there's anything that can be done to prevent them other than having a tonsillectomy (remove the tissues, remove the chance of having them trapped).

Do they bother you a lot?

Jayar
10-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Do they bother you a lot?

In a word. YES! I have been bugging doctors and dentists for years about it, and finally figured it out on my own. Everyone I have talked with has thought I was crazy.

venja
10-28-2010, 08:02 AM
I know how you feel - I did not know WTF those things were until I saw it on the Doctors (or was it Dr. Oz) last year. If they think you're crazy, then let them smell one of those suckers and they'll finally believe you. You must have large ones.

When I see an ENT next time, I'll ask them what they'd suggest (knowing that all they want to do is cut, they'd suggest surgery of course).

CynicElle
10-28-2010, 04:07 PM
I used to get those, and they are really repulsive. FWIW, I haven't seen them come back since I started regularly using Listerine antiseptic at night, but I don't know if those two things are actually related.

Satellitegirl
10-28-2010, 05:44 PM
I get them occasionally if I eat a lot of bread type things. It's annoying and can cause bad breath. Gargling helps dislodge them. They're the source of those "back of the throat" itches you get near your ear, for me.

joeperryfan
10-28-2010, 07:15 PM
I have these all the time, from the time I was a teenager. I was considering posting about it on FSU just in case someone had some miracle solution but Jayar beat me to it.
I usually dislodge mine with a toothpick but there are things that help them fall out on their own like eating pineapples or a glass of water with a pinch of apple cider vinegar(this is quite effective but it ruins the teeth).

I've noticed that mine are related to post nasal drip and possibly poor digestion when either of these is gone the stones disappear. Drinking milk doesn't help either.

Good luck with getting rid of yours.

Veronika
10-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Jayar, have you thought about getting your tonsils out? It's not fun, but it will get rid of the source.

Jayar
10-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Veronika: I have no health insurance and my tonsils are fine

bobalina77
10-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Oh wow.. I used to get those all the time! I still do once in a while but not nearly as much as I used to. I had no idea what they were lol!