PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to adopt a stray cat?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ks777
10-27-2010, 11:47 PM
I have a cat that comes to my door, begging for food and attention.. It doesn't seem to belong to anyone.. I keep feeding the cat.. Is it safe for my dog if I let the cat come in and live? Any diseases I should be worried about?

Thanks!

mpal2
10-28-2010, 12:00 AM
It's possible. Can you keep them separated until you can take the cat into the vet for a checkup?

BittyBug
10-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Your highest risk is probably fleas (the only disease that is communicable between cats and dogs that I can think of is rabies, and I'm sure your dog has been vaccinated), but I would suggest that your first step be taking the cat to your vet to have him / her inspected and vaccinated. Your vet can also check the cat for a microchip, on the off chance that the cat is actually someone's pet.

I've taken in a few strays over the years and I have to say they make the best pets because they are so grateful to have a home. Let us know how it works out. :)

Badams
10-28-2010, 12:02 AM
as long as you don't have any other cats it should be safe to bring it in. if you DO have other cats, i would have the cat checked for feline leukemia first just to be safe. as far as i know, feline leukemia can't be spread to a dog. if you are feeding the cat, it probably already thinks you belong to it though. :)

skatemommy
10-28-2010, 12:44 AM
Has your dog met the cat? What kind of dog? If your dog is OK with the cat's presence - not a problem. If dog is aggressive you may want to take kitty to a shelter. Is kitty scared of the dog? My kitty isn't scared of anything!

nerdycool
10-28-2010, 01:20 AM
The one kitty we "adopted" off our doorstep turned out to be the sweetest cat ever. And I second the suggestion to take it to a vet to get it checked out for fleas/whatever and a microchip. And if you do decide to adopt it, you might want to consider getting it fixed if you will be letting it outside and don't want new little additions.

Garden Kitty
10-28-2010, 01:27 AM
The garden kitty, an adopted stray that kept showing up at my back door, says it's a wonderful idea! But I agree that it's a good idea to try to keep the cat separated from the dog until you take it to a vet for a check up.

PrincessLeppard
10-28-2010, 02:04 AM
Two strays adopted my sister when she first moved to Las Vegas. :) They both tested positive for feline leukemia, but one lived with her for another ten years.

ks777
10-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Thanks Everyone! I will take her to the vet. My dog is a 5 months old lab puppy and yes she is up to date on all of her shots.

Aussie Willy
10-28-2010, 03:21 AM
That is a good thing to do. Good luck with the kitty.

mysticchic
10-28-2010, 03:32 AM
I've had 3 strays and they were all the best cats I ever had. I would have the kitty checked out. Then enjoy the love you will get.

Jenny
10-28-2010, 03:46 AM
Very interested to hear what people have to say, particularly about bringing a stray into a house that already has indoor cats - please keep sharing everyone!

dbell1
10-28-2010, 03:54 AM
The strays we've brought home or who just showed up outside have always been vet checked first. Dad worked at an apartment building and was always bringing home a stray. One kitten had ringworm. :eek: That was an interesting time. I only found out I had gotten it from her when my arms started glowing in the UV section of the garden center. Easily cured once I saw my doc though...

But, every stray has been wonderful. Our most recent additions have been dumped kittens, 1 was bottle fed and the other was a friend's rescue (she found the very pregnant momma cat at the local Dairy Queen). All the cats get along well, the 2 most recent sleep next to each other every night. There's random hissing near the food bowl, but even the dogs are tolerant of the littlest one. Or she's pushy, not sure which. :lol:

ks - what will you be naming her? :)

nerdycool
10-28-2010, 04:39 AM
Very interested to hear what people have to say, particularly about bringing a stray into a house that already has indoor cats - please keep sharing everyone!I guess for us, it wasn't a huge problem. Yeah, the cats we already had weren't too jazzed about the idea of another one. But everything was mostly normal within 2 weeks of introduction. They just have to have time to get used to one another and figure out that they can indeed live in the same house and not kill each other. But it should be mentioned that if you bring a kitten into a house that already has a fully grown cat, you should watch them a little more closely.

Japanfan
10-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Very interested to hear what people have to say, particularly about bringing a stray into a house that already has indoor cats - please keep sharing everyone!

We adopted a cat from the SPCA a few years ago and have a dog as well as a cat. He was an 8 year old male who looked like a Russian Gray (gorgeous!!) and had been found a stray, so no past history was available.

He did not like living with another cat and a dog and immediately decided to check out the neighbours. It didn't him too long to adopt one of them - and she promptly fell in love with him. A few months later we gave him to her permanently and he and she remain besotted. And I can only admire his handsome self from next door. :(