PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to adopt a stray cat?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

modern_muslimah
10-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Mine has cardboard carriers that you can use until you can get a sturdier plastic one. I've seen them at vet offices more and more so it shouldn't be a problem.

Be careful with cardboard carriers. A friend and former supervisor took in a stray from our former job. We initially tried to put it in a cardboard carrier but the cat broke out and scratched my friend on her arm with his back claws. I had to bring my plastic carrier from home.

Her cat is nice but he's very timid around strangers from being left in the wild for over a year (he was abandoned by his family when they moved :mad:). She took him to the vet and he was fine. The only issues were fleas and ear mites. It's amazing because his former family de-clawed him and he had no way to fend for himself. He was even attacked by another cat. He had a bite mark in his back from the attack.

I don't know why this family left the cat in the wild (literally, the area around the place I worked is rural farmland) instead of taking him to a shelter. He could've been killed by hawks, foxes or any of the other animals that roam the area. Just stupid and selfish.

Anita18
10-29-2010, 10:14 PM
If you don't have anything to carry the cat in, a laundry basket with the top covered with some cardboard will do in a pinch. :lol: The people at the TNR clinic have seen it work.

Jenny
10-29-2010, 10:22 PM
We once found a cat in distress at the side of the road - we appropriated someone's recycling bin, and held the cat in with hubby's shirt held over the top while we drove to the emergency clinic. Where there's a will there's a way.

KatieC
10-29-2010, 11:11 PM
I've taken in two strays - both beautiful, wonderful souls. I've only used a cat carrier a few times, mostly the cat sits beside me on the passenger seat, or I wrap them up in the car blanket to carry them into the vets.

Neither of my cats have collars at the moment. One never goes off the property, and the other has managed to lose five collars in the last year. Thankfully, people in my neighbourhood have been here a good long time and don't take my cats for strays just because they're outdoors. They are both fixed, and certainly know where their food comes from!

mkats
10-30-2010, 01:23 AM
I've always wanted a kitty but no one else in my family is a cat person :drama:, so we never got one. However, one of our neighbors has started letting their kitty out to wander on warm nights and said kitty always comes to our house since I love to play with her... :lol: Here she is:

Kitty being silly (http://thelungsofourcity.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/silly.jpg)

Kitty stretching (http://thelungsofourcity.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/flexible.jpg)

taf2002
10-30-2010, 02:03 AM
I used to volunteer in a shelter & I know why people abandon their pets. When you take your pet to a shelter or the pound there is usually a fee charged to leave them. Apparently these dirtbags not only want to treat their pets like a used tissue, they don't want to pay for the privilege.

mkats, that's a darling cat.

orbitz
10-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Kitty stretching (http://thelungsofourcity.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/flexible.jpg)

Um...I think kitty is doing more than stretching in the above pic :eek: :lol:.

BittyBug
10-30-2010, 03:08 AM
Again, any further thoughts welcome.I would take the cat in, and I wouldn't assume that just because it has been outdoors up until now that it won't convert to an indoor cat.

As for trying to find out whether the cat has a current home, if the cat does indeed have a current owner but he or she can't be bothered to put a collar on the cat or put up flyers if the cat goes missing, then the owner is probably not all that interested or concerned about the animal. So I'd flip it around - take the cat in, and then just be on the lookout for flyers for the next few weeks. If you don't see any, then that tells you what you need to know.

bek
10-30-2010, 05:48 AM
If the cat has a an owner but is always at your place, it suggests that the owner doesn't really care.

Some cats get outside, inspite of their Mama not wanting them to get outside. Although the difference is of course mine don't beg for food, and they actually don't even let strangers pet them. Two are scared of strangers outright. And the third LOVES strangers, when his Mama introduces them to him, but doesn't like strangers who he's not introduced. If I'm holding Panda, than Panda will let the little neighbor boy outside pet him. And in fact Panda will stop being ticked that he's being hold and get excited and perked up about the possibility of this stranger petting him. The stinker literally PREENS But if Panda is out on his own, he absolutely will not go to the neighbor boy himself. They absolutely would though go into neghbors yards when they get out. But in fairness when we lived in the house they'd mainly stay in our yard...

skatemommy
10-30-2010, 03:05 PM
If you don't have anything to carry the cat in, a laundry basket with the top covered with some cardboard will do in a pinch. :lol: The people at the TNR clinic have seen it work.

Anita, what amazing work you do! Are you affiliated with an organization? I'd make a donation on your behalf; my family has a heart for strays and their well-being.

Anita18
10-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Anita, what amazing work you do! Are you affiliated with an organization? I'd make a donation on your behalf; my family has a heart for strays and their well-being.
Not officially volunteering for anybody, but I'm getting the cats fixed at FixNation ( http://www.fixnation.org ) and they are AMAZING. I had never trapped cats before but they answered every question and made me feel like I could really do it. They even gave me trap covers and newspapers. :lol: I would definitely make a donation to them. I've never met a group of people more sincerely devoted to the well-being of cats, even ones that aren't pets. :cat:

They fix upwards of 50 cats 5 days a week, mostly for free. They do provide low cost services for tame pet cats that won't be eartipped. We had our kitty done there and everything went great. Both of the feral cats I've done so far are healthy, albeit a little traumatized. :lol:

skatemommy
10-30-2010, 04:32 PM
It says on their website that they take Paypal, but I can't find the link :confused:

modern_muslimah
10-30-2010, 05:34 PM
I've always wanted a kitty but no one else in my family is a cat person :drama:, so we never got one. However, one of our neighbors has started letting their kitty out to wander on warm nights and said kitty always comes to our house since I love to play with her... :lol: Here she is:

Kitty being silly (http://thelungsofourcity.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/silly.jpg)

I swear that cat is my cat's twin. :eek: So cute. :)

Anita18
10-31-2010, 05:41 AM
It says on their website that they take Paypal, but I can't find the link :confused:
Hmm, yeah, I can't find a Paypal link either. They seem to be using another service now and never bothered updating the donation information page. :o